Forums > Social Chat > Sign a Petition for Motorcyclists - please?

Login/Join to Participate

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Motorcyclists throughout the country (Australia) are currently battling the proposed introduction of a new law which would make lane filtering (also called lanesplitting) illegal. Lane filtering is the practice of moving through stationary traffic to get to the head of an intersection, or pass through traffic congestion (affectionally referred by me as the "see ya, suckers!" maneouver). It's one of the few real benefits of riding a motorcycle - I personally don't see much point in getting wet/hot/cold/cut off/nearly killed on a frequent basis without the benefit of lanesplitting. It's what makes commuting on a bike worthwhile. A 40 minute trip by car can be a 20 minute trip on a bike, all due to lanesplitting. Lanesplitting also avoids the classic "rear-end" accident, which can be (and often is) fatal on a bike, as you can't get sandwiched between two vehicles if you're at the front of the line.

Anyway, I can think of a dozen sales pitches that I could spout to get you to sign the petition, but you're all smart and not easily bought. So, if you can be bothered and are not opposed to doing so, please click below and sign the petition. You have to register with an email address, but it's all good. Not spammy. Obviously, you don't have to ride a motorcycle to support our opposition to the new laws.

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/392662151

In anticipation,
flash fire

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Signed smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
signed. becuase i think they need it to help them being seen and is therefore safer...but it said the deadline was 1999!!!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
signed.

But, i'm kinda in two minds. Sure, it's quicker, but i'm not really sure if it's safer or not. And, i reckon there's lanes for a reason, and you're only supposed to go from one to the other if you're going to stay in your new lane, and then you're only really supposed to change lanes for a reason. And, though it's not really proper, a lot of people cross the road in traffic when it's stopped at lights, and i can imagine their surprise when they end up sharing a motorbiker's helmet with them.

But then, it is a conveniance thing, and it is a huge advantage, and, regarding rear end accidents, it is safer.

SO they probably do have valid reasons for wanting to stop lanesplitting, and if it saves riders or pedestrians, then it'll have done it's job.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
signed & hope they get somewhere with it. I don't ride but think "good on ya" everytime a bike goed past me like that. my ex rode heaps so as long as you're aware of what road hazards are around you (like if you;re not you shouldn't be driving) you're sweet smile good luck

Are you up for it?
wink;)

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
My dad is a retired police bike mechanic, and used to ride all the time. When he gets the money again hes getting another motorcycle, and I know that if this law were passed here he would go absoloutly mental, as like you siad, its the only real advantage of riding a bike.
As long at its done responsably, with road consiousness whats the problem?

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Signed [as a fellow motorcyclist biggrin]

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Not signed.

Because I get p-ssed off when anyone cuts in front of me on a bike, and lane splitting is dangerous for other drivers. Particularly when a motorcycle decides to overtake a car doing 70 and completely ignores the oncoming traffic on the assumption that the road is wide enough for 2 cars and a motorcycle. News flash you jerk. It isn't. Overtake when it's safe, not because you can.

But it is in Australia, and it is flash fire doing it... oh well.

Signed. wink

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

Because I get p-ssed off when anyone cuts in front of me on a bike, and lane splitting is dangerous for other drivers. Particularly when a motorcycle decides to overtake a car doing 70 and completely ignores the oncoming traffic on the assumption that the road is wide enough for 2 cars and a motorcycle. News flash you jerk. It isn't. Overtake when it's safe, not because you can.

To be brutally honest, 90% of roads are easily wide enough for two cars & a bike, and most bikers will know exactly how much room they have. I've overtaken into oncoming traffic plenty of times for various reasons & I'm a fairly sensible rider.

The main reason bikes are so dangerous is because most car drivers haven't got a clue what's going on outside the vehicle - I was knocked off yesterday by a silly woman who just didn't look before turning into a junction & I ploughed straight into her front wheel, writing off both car & bike. Luckily this has happened before a few times and the police didn't automatically assume it was my fault, so she's been packed off to driver training (she admitted it was her fault), and I have to sort out a new bike & all the insurance shite.

Because of the vulnerability of bikes, riders are generally more aware of what's happening around them, and because you have the extra acceleration etc, you can usually get yourself out of a bad situation when it happens. Lane filtering keeps traffic flowing, and is perfectly safe if you know what you're doing and nobody's driving like an ass, especially in slow moving traffic.

BlayzeSILVER Member
Doesn't play well with others...
187 posts

Posted:
Signed... smile

I smile because I have no idea what is going on...

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

Not signed.

But it is in Australia, and it is flash fire doing it... oh well.

Signed. wink

I appreciate that people are signing this petition, however to address your concern Sethis, the petition is opposed to the introduction of the laws banning lane-filtering, which is moving through stationery traffic. The actions you mention above are dangerous, and are illegal. biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Well I signed it anyway, but thanks for the clarification!

Written by: GeoffonTour04

To be brutally honest, 90% of roads are easily wide enough for two cars & a bike, and most bikers will know exactly how much room they have.

They're that wide to give cars a safe margin of error between them and people in the other lane. If you're overtaking on a bike into oncoming traffic then you remove that safety margin, and all it takes is a car to twitch about a foot to the left/right and 2 cars and a motorcycle are dead. I don't dispute there is enough physical room. I dispute that it's safe. smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

SparketteBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
I see that the date is 01....I thought that you were able to get booked for that now....Is this because the law was passed?
I ride bikes too and am a big fan of lane splitting:)
Shall sign ne-way smile

Choice, not chance, determines destiny....
Carpe Diem!!!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Ignore the dates. smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
signed smile
good luck

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
signed smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
signed diddly digned biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I won't be signing this as I think the law is making the right move for once.

I don't know what general overtaking laws are in Oz but in the UK you can only overtake on the right (with a few minor exceptions). When I'm in traffic the last thing I expect when I'm changing from right to left lane is a biker on my left side squeezing through tiny gaps in the traffic.

Written by: Flash

It's what makes commuting on a bike worthwhile. A 40 minute trip by car can be a 20 minute trip on a bike, all due to lanesplitting. Lanesplitting also avoids the classic "rear-end" accident, which can be (and often is) fatal on a bike, as you can't get sandwiched between two vehicles if you're at the front of the line.

What?? Eh?? You have to get to the front first, and surely passing through small gaps that are to small to be safe between 100 cars who aren't expecting any traffic between them makes it more likely to get sandwiched side on??

Maybe you should come meet my mate who used to ride between cars (stationery and slow) all the time, one day a car that was in stationery traffic decided to change lanes into a gap in the next lane, obviously not expecting an irrisponsible biker to be lanesplitting through traffic he helped him on his way to full body paralysis. He's now spoon fed and 100% dependant on care for survival, he can barely even speak because he can't move his jaw properly. Also, as it was his own fault he wasn't entitled to any compensation or injury insurance, I'm sure you can imagine the quality of his life right about now.

But hey, on some journey's before that he saved 20 minutes in a traffic jam YEY! rolleyes

Hey you know what, I can save 20 minutes by going to a nearby town by driving at 120mph instead of 70mph on the motorway no matter how stupid and unsafe it is to do so, I think I'll set up pointless a petition to change to speed limits and see how many other idiots will sign it

[/rant]

Let's relight this forum ubblove

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
So the bike will be moving at a maximum of about 10 miles per hour through stationary traffic... explain how he managed to do that much damage to himself??

I've cycled down the high street before and someone has opened their left hand door to get out without checking their mirrors. I slammed straight into the door and flipped over it. I was doing about 10 m.p.h and I didn't even break any bones. I *might* have broken my wrist or something if I'd landed badly.

Was he wearing a crash helmet? Because cranial damage is the only thing I can think of to cause full body paralysis. If he was wearing then the company who makes them might have some questions to answer like "Your helmets don't work. Why?"

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Well seeing as you asked so nicely Sethis....He broke his neck (spinal/nerve connections et al) I'm no doctor but there's nothing that can be done.

Written by:

I've cycled down the high street before and someone has opened their left hand door to get out without checking their mirrors. I slammed straight into the door and flipped over it

As a cyclist myself I can say that must be the silliest mistake I see on a daily basis made by (cycle) bikers, overtaking is done on the right not the left, no one would check their mirrors because no one should be there!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Then why is the cycle lane on the left hand side of the road?

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Sorry I won't be signing either. I'm with dunc on this one. I've seen way too many accidents happen where bikes get sandwiched or doors get opened etc. Sethis count yourself very lucky that you didn't get injured.

If you want to cut down the journey times to work I suggest you find ways to cut down the number of vehicles on the roads instead. Go and sit by any main road at 8.30 in the morning and count how many cars, vans, etc go past you carrying only one passenger. I think you'll find it's a figure over 75%. All those people, all travelling in the same direction in to the big towns and cities, all in their own little pollution creating tin boxes on wheels. Complete madness!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
I know that in the UK it is legal to 'filter' through the stationary traffic but that doesn't give people the go ahead to steam past at 40 and above which I do see quite often. It also implies that you can only overtake if it it safe to do so and only on the right hand side.
It does bother me when I see bikes overtaking in unsafe conditions just because they have that extra power. I thought all bikers were taught to ride defensively and to be more aware of whats going on.

Personally I only 'filter' if i'm in particularly heavy traffic. Normally I will sit back and wait like the rest of the cars.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off