Forums > Social Discussion > Is satisfation related to the log of the number of possesions owned?

Login/Join to Participate

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
Please provide me with some feedback on the following article, preferably after counting up all that you own and trying to analyse the information as per this article.

THE LOGARITHMIC NATURE OF SATISFACTION VS THE NUMBER OF POSSESIONS A PERSON OWNS

By Adrian Johnson

Faced with a high probability of becoming unemployed, combined with having recently developed a stronger interest in energy and resource depletion issues, made April 2004 a really good time for me to go through every aspect of my life with the axe, looking to cut costs even further than the highly frugal life a scientist is obliged to live on economic grounds, and that I prefer to live anyway on environmental and spiritual grounds.

The resulting audit turned out to have been one of the single most important discoveries of my life , owing to the fact that , for me at least, satisfaction is directly proportional to the natural log (or any other log , you just change the gradient of your graph) of the number of items a person owns. Being a scientist made the extremely important nature of this discovery obvious to me, however to explain this to non scientists or those who dislike maths is also easy.

The exponential curve that people who sell investments like to boast reflects the sustainable return you reap for the rest of your life if you buy shares or negatively geared apartments becomes a straight, sloping line with a positive gradient if you take its log. (Continuous growth is actually impossible due to resource limitations, pollution, and the fact that if a price goes up too high in real terms you will never find a buyer who can purchase the investment)

The implication of this is that any person with even a modest number of possessions can not substantially increase their happiness by buying more, and this is diametrically opposed to the message advertisers want us to believe. Furthermore it proves the saying that there is not enough on this Earth to satisfy even one persons greed. Any person wealthy and foolish enough to try would probably get to the point that they could not physically count what they owned without even reaching the point at which they felt they were 4 times better off than before they started their shopping spree. Even more important is the fact that anyone with the courage to do so can probably rid themselves of at least 2 /3rds of their possessions without feeling like much has been lost at all.

TAKE THE CHALLENGE YOURSELF IF YOU DARE

1. List every item you own that you care enough about to record. You will soon find this impossible, so group similar functional lots into 1 entry i.e. “table and chairs”,”Bed and Bedding”, “box of junk”, etc.

2. Set up (or get someone to set you up) a spreadsheet with the following columns: Item, cost, service life, number of times used per year, overall importance rating, cost per time used, cost per year, is replacement intended, is this an emergency item, etc. Some of these require you to create formulas; others are best filled in once the calculations are complete.

3. Rate each item from 1 – 5 on this scale. 1 = immediate severe or fatal consequences if gone i.e. warm clothing or food. 2 = extremely important i.e. plates, cutlery, bed, etc, OR severe or fatal consequences if absent in an emergency i.e. torch, first aid kit, 4 weeks of dry food and water. 3 = highly desirable items whose absence is not a health hazard, and that are worth replacing or that you would take with you if you moved house i.e. toaster, microwave, TV, desk. 4 = not really needed, replacement not intended, but worth keeping until failure occurs or a good sale price is offered. 5 = this item is not needed, or you very rarely use this item, or you are in the process of selling, giving away or dumping it, or it is only there because you cant be bothered getting rid of it.

4. Expect some nasty shocks and pleasant surprises when you examine the cost per unit time and use columns, and also the total of what you spent on things you hardly ever use.

5. Add up the number of items in each category and take the natural or other logs of these numbers depending on the calculator you have. If you can get your items sorted automatically by category and do this with the dollar value totals it would be worthwhile, but my computer illiteracy has prevented me from attempting this myself. (Exclude house and car or your figures will be distorted)

6. Plot one linear and one log graph of these values, using the ratings from 1 – 5 on the X axis to represent a linear scale of the relative benefit that your possessions are providing you with (do not take the log of this axis) and make sure you comprehend the significance of you findings.

7. Take the antilog of a point that is about twice your relative benefit category 5, i.e. 10 on the X-axis and, note that it would be unachievable without denuding all the Earths resources in a very short period of time.

8. Now you have this knowledge you are required to act on it. This may require a degree of spiritual enlightenment first. Such persons are then capable of making sacrifices to their lifestyles for the benefit of others, and also of thinking in terms greater than the present day. Before I did this audit I was more selfish and money minded than I am today, and concentrating less on these matters has been of great benefit to both future generations and myself. As to the spiritual benefits such changes bring, the best way to describe it is to say that seeking more possessions is to spiritual development what staring into the sun is to observing the other stars, it hides them completely. You may even find yourself adding a Bible into you list a few months down the track and being totally repulsed by the current values of our society at the present time.

9. Give a copy of this to everyone you know so they can also benefit from it, however be aware that most people lack the courage to act on its contents.

SAMPLE GRAPHS TO EXPECT

These are approximate counts only as

some items were hard to categorise,

based on my audit results.

X axis == category 1 , 2, 3 ,4, 5 . category of item

Y axis (linear) = 10, 25, 50, 100, 300. Y axis (log) = 2.30 , 3.22 , 3.91 , 4.60 , 5.70.

Labelled as number of items per category and log of the number of items per category

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by:

.............Give a copy of this to everyone you know so they can also benefit from it, however be aware that most people lack the courage to act on its contents.

...or, more likely, the mental contortion-ability to understand what the hell he's on about smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Owning more logs is always better. I have lots of logs, and they make me very happy. Whoever wrote this needs to get better logs.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i didn't know that satisfaction was quantifiable.
I thought it was equal to the volume of water displaced from the bath when you immerse a european swallow in it.
the log-challenge is a geekerly, arguably impolite way to mention a beautiful idea.
as always, what Kafta said about "Anything that has real and lasting value is always a gift from within" holds true. with the only exception being a decent pair of fire staves smile

don't diss logs, patriach, i'm a lumberjack and i'm ok.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
He who dies with the most toys wins

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
The_Magnesium_Master, would you give up your fire staff?

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
if that is the case with fire toys then you win hands down out of all the firies i know gnor!!!!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Maybe not fire stuff but I seem to have lots of poi lurking around. Shelea and Co have even more. You should be their van. Its awesome

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
uh... this sounds like it's far too complicated, i already know that i own a lot more rubbish than i really could ever need... question is what to do with it all... bin, one thing ok, second hand shops another thing, recycling, ok... but thinking big, stuff is just going to keep on getting produced.... energy gets trapped! we all drown in a sea of consumer products! yeah!

oooh... maybe you can calculate the rate of consumption compared to energy production, oil peak, rate and efficiency of recycling etc, and find out WHEN we will all drown in a sea of consumer products! (N.B. that is not meant to sound in any way sarcastic or offensive to the fine art of science, actually genuinely, could you calculate something like that?)

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
hehe the concept of price by frequency of use by estimated useful life is a great one. Scary results for people with PAs and the like. Also for people who spent thousands on Car Audio, and only listen to it for 30mins a day or less! And your new car? frequency of use vs longevity vs depreciation make buying a new car a mugs game, and yet people put themselves into substantial debt, often just to upgrade an already wholy adequate car.

I worked out that I'd have to hire a rig for 100 seperate occassions / nights before it would become worthwhile buying one. Still...there are now other considerations smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Written by: The_Magnesium_Master

As to the spiritual benefits such changes bring, the best way to describe it is to say that seeking more possessions is to spiritual development what staring into the sun is to observing the other stars, it hides them completely. You may even find yourself adding a Bible into you list a few months down the track and being totally repulsed by the current values of our society at the present time.

Nice article Adrian. Was a very interesting read. I haven't spreadsheeted everything I have (and its value to me) out yet, and in all honesty, probably won't. Having had to clear out 'home' at least twice in the past year and a half I think I've got a reasonable perspective of keeping/throwing things out, and how that correlates to its value.

I really like who you illustrated the above (staring at the sun), except for the Bible bit. I personally draw a very strong distinction between the religious and the spiritual. Of course, that's just one person's way of seeing things.

Now to go off on a bit of a trivial tangent..

I believe everyone owes it to themselves to buy a good pair of well stitched jeans if they haven't got one already. Say, for example (and if a misc company decides to reward me for loyalty, please drop me a PM), a pair of Levi's jeans costs around what.. AUD80-100? If you're like me, jeans get worn really really often. I had a pair of 508's but now I'm on a pair of 506's. I use them practically every day. The 508's were used for at least 3 years before holes started appearing in the pockets and the dark blue denim had practically gone white. If you divide the cost of the jeans by the number of days usage it saw, it doesn't really cost all that much. Especially in Australia, where when it comes to guys clothes, you can walk into a store and expect to pay 30-50 for an ugly tshirt which in all likelihood, you won't wear more than once a week. Maybe two.

Of course this is not to say you can't get good jeans for cheap. If you can, then all the better. Just saying that even if you spend a bit more, as long as it's quality, it practically pays for itself.

It's a bit different for girls though, but I'll leave a girl to comment. Honestly, I think it's really unfair a girl can walk into a store and get a decent thing to wear for hardly any money at all. And have it look heaps classier than what the same money would dress a guy.

Ok. -end rant-. ubblol

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
Thanks heaps for your feedback

Re giving up the fire staff, I rate it a 2 or a 3. I would first be wearing a shirt woven from my own hair and eating pasta and insects before I got that desperate. I do however try to cut down the car use to go twirling it as that uses about 10 times more fuel.

To those who like a simpler version of this document ,here it is;

Most of the things you own dont get used enough to earn their keep, so dont buy them and leave those resources for future generations to use on stuff they realy need.

Ry you are definitly a wise man as well as a great learner of the fire arts. Re the bible bit, I definitly believe everybody will benifit from living as recomended in the new testement, however I think most of what the churches do has no more to do with spirptual development than chanting at a football match each week. If this is what you dislike about organised religion I dont blame you. I actually got into spiritual development stuff initialy by associating with several people who were right into the occult, astral traveling, and teachings by Rudolf Steiner. Most spiritual stuff can take you to this degree of spiritual enlightenment, its just that Ive personally found living by christian principles to be the most difficult but also the most rewarding. I normally try to keep my 3 favourite topics (sex, religion and fanatical politics) out of these threads since it takes up to much of my time replying to the debates I stir up, instead get me talking about them at moonfest when you have at least a few hours to spare.

Re calculations for when the censored realy hits the fan: Its already on the blades, its just when its going to come off and how much will stick to you that nobody realy knows. You could estimate it if you get good information, its just that I now spend time working on how best to get out of the way instead.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Ry: Or you could just shop second hand... buy some jeans for a fiver... then they last 3 years. I'd say that it's better to get high quality shoes because they will last longer, and it's more difficult to get good ones second hand. smile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
in accounting there is the issue of intangible cost & value.
taking the car sterep and P.A. examples from pyrolific, there is an intangible value of prestige.
Being cognizant of such value allows for a more holistic understanding behind why humans do as they do, how satisfaction (as it is understood) is pursued.

possesions, places, people can carry within them lessons, can help push us along, but....
Written by:

"Anything that has real and lasting value is always a gift from within."

-Franz Kafka

so please consider the middle path, don't necessarily throw away your toys [aceticism] or overindulge in fire arsenals [hedonism], aim to strike a balance. ubbrollsmile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: Gnor

He who dies with the most toys wins

*He who dies with the most toys still dies*

I have that on a T-shirt so it must be true... wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Adrian: beerchug ubblol

Bill: Well said. *nod*

Sethis: Can't say I've ever looked for second hand shoes, but mm... you do have a point. If you can find a used pair of jeans which'd last you three years for a fiver, go for it for sure! Just I don't recommend making that anyone's primary plan of action wink