Page:
colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
well, they've done it.

rgb (i.e can produce any colour you care to imagine), *fully* programmable (via usb pc link) aerotech equipment has arrived at last biggrin

anyone who saw the london juggling convention show (or was at the ejc earlier this year) will have been lucky enough to see owen and malte performing their classic 'spot the drop' routine with routine-programmed aerotech ultimate clubs ubblove

they already have plans for staff and poi with the same *individually controlled led technology* so that you have full control of programming the colour in each section of your toy.

here's the blurb from the aerotech website:

Written by: aerotech

Sequence 16 Million Colours with the new GLO-ULTIMATE equipment.

After three years of development and 100 times over budget, we bring you the ultimate in illuminated juggling equipment.

Our standard product range is designed for on the fly programming, so with a set sequence of taps it is possible to configure a product to change colour and flash between 2 Colours.

In our new ultimate range programming has been replaced with a reprogrammable RGB (The primary colours Red, Green, Blue) light sequencing program.

Each colour of the RGB is independently programmed to run a sequence of timed events to change intensity (brightness) levels. By altering the intensity levels of the RGB it is possible to select a colour from a palette of 16 Million different colours. Time increments are controllable down to 0.1 second meaning that it is possible to create a dazzling light show which can then be synchronized with other products.

A sequence is created using a simple line of code written within a standard text editor (Note book, Word etc). The file is then downloaded to the equipment using a standard USB 2.0 connection.

By using full powered USB hubs the glo-equipment fast charges from empty to 80% charged in 2 hours.

and links here:

main news page

details of the sequencing language

example of some sequence code

a little techy information on the software used

i don't wanna know how much i have to save up for a set of clubs - if i start working on a 5 club routine now, by the time i can juggle it, i should have enough money saved to buy the clubs... wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
But fewer people have laptops than wall sockets.
And if your laptops flat you're equally scuppered, or you need a wall socket, which defeats the point...

They used to have solar chargers, car chargers etc etc - reckon they'll bring these out as they were a wicked idea smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
But then again - I guess these props are aimed squarely at top-end performers and professionals, not your average back-garden/festival spinner so they don't really need "Charge anywhere" functionality I guess...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
defeinately Durbs, that is the market they are aiming at - which is a shame as alot of custom could come through "newbies" (i use the term loosley) if they just adapted there toys with a few easy functions.

Like 3 presets you can choose from rather than one continuous sequence. confused

But they do look the mutts nutts and glow much brighter than previous tech models smile

On off switch is my biggest winge at the moment, using a pc to turn them on and off is just plain rubbish, even though it does mean your colour changing timing is bang on perfect for every prop ....... cool

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

milkajourneyman
89 posts

Posted:
It's a pity that first tech models are now longer available...
EDITED_BY: milka (1163780521)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Has anyone read the programming language guide for the new ones?

https://www.globall.com/uploadfiles/ultimate%20user%20guide.pdf

It makes me remember why I failed uni frown

But hey, at least all the parts are user replaceable! bounce

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
yeah... the user-replacable parts make me mildly sceptical though.

Especially given the reliabilty of their first "Pro" models, and the usual "Send them back at least twice and then they'll work" scenario.

The user-replacable part seems to suggest to me that users will need to replace bits.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well duh! wink

I think its better as at least now you dont have to spend so much money on shipping your stick backwards and forwards between them.
They can just send you the new part and you put it in yourself.

This has made me wonder about how that is going to work with the balls though. Will there be a bit you unscrew or pull out to take the ball apart?Is there any chance that your ball could fall apart in the middle of the performance?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I just spotted a photo of the new ultimate poi:

Non-Https Image Link

Looks quite similar to the meteors of old filled with 'Ultimate' technology to me...

Cake or Death?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: *HyperLight

I just spotted a photo of the new ultimate poi:

Non-Https Image Link

Looks quite similar to the meteors of old filled with 'Ultimate' technology to me...

they definitely look different - a cross between the meteor and the glopoi.

the meteors were like the ends of staffs with a section at the end about 10-15cm thicker than the main body.
these again seem to have this thicker end but it looks like its nowhere near as long as it used to be on the meteor (which was one of the things i never liked about the meteors - weight not distributed near enough to the end).

and for durbs - they have a mains charger on the site now.
its a 7 slot usb hub which looks like it means that any powered usb would do as a charger smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Unless someone buys about 50 hoops from me in the near future I don't think I'll be affording a set.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I never saw their glow poi - what were they like?

Cake or Death?

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Looks like a 1 section version of the staff.

Would aerotech be pissed off if I posted pictures of their prototype?

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
Oh I'm sure they won't mind. Do it, we won't tell wink

To play it safe is not to play

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Geh.. Sorry didn't notice there was an active thread...

Anyhow their Aerotech Ultimate pois are done.. now..

Do you think they are worth it ? buying a pair.. 140GBP ?

I'm eager, willing to wait for hyperlights, I kinda believe they are better.

milkajourneyman
89 posts

Posted:
Anyway if I need a laptop computer in order to launch sequences, I'm not sure I'm interested because :

-I haven't got a laptop,
-If I had one, I wouldn't bring it to conventions, festivals or in the street.

What I particularly like with my globalls is that I can carry them and juggle them anywhere I like. Looks like you lose this comfort with Ultimates. I wonder who's likely to buy such a product, expect professionals of course...

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Yes that's absolutely something to concider.Still, the ability to start them at the same time as music starts is something that's really cool in itself. That way you can perfectly synchronise things.

I've been thinking how good changing lights can be for practice. I mean, you can really get a sense for beats and or rythm with using changing lights.

Anyhow..

Poi, poi!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mireneye

Do you think they are worth it ? buying a pair.. 140GBP ?

That's £140 EACH by the way, not a pair...

You should hear how much they're thinking of charging for the 1.4m staffs....

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
U sure that's each ? they said that for their earlier glow poi.. But I havn't seen them claim that on these.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, the old glow poi were around £80-90 each, i.e. £160-180 a pair, I can't see them selling the new ones cheaper than the old...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Me neither to be honest.

To be sure I'm gonna mail them anyhow. Perhaps they found better suppliers and were able to produce them for less cost, and realised they didn't make enough money on the previous version ?

Whatever the reason, I kinda hope they come in pair. That'd make the price alot more feasible.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I was bothered about possible unfair competition for Hyperlights (they have manufacturing already in place to churn out a clone if they were so inclined) but now I've seen them I'm not smile

I know what I'd rather spin with by FAR.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
All's fair in love and manufacturing glow toys wink

Cake or Death?

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Stick update.....

as you know the poi / balls and clubs in the ultimate range are now on sale and doing well....

Ive recently had a conversation with Aerotech who were looking for advice on how to make their sticks more appealing whilst making them "ultimate" by that i mean the original reason to go down the new range road was to provide a toy that could be repaired by its user.

The stick is proving difficult for them, i know that the staffs are being manufactured at 140cm, with ultimate technology, i have stressed the importance of adding weight at the ends to impersonate a good fire stick, having the battey in the centre of the shaft causes strange weight issues.

They ae putting together a diffused ultimate stick for review, with newly wieghted ends as discussed.

When i get it ill let you know what the verdict is.

Im hoping it will be good because if they cannot produce one that feels like a good stick then there is talk of not providing staffs in the ultimate range at all frown

We shall see..... im keeping my hopes up either way smile

Opening for you mr Hyperlight..... perhaps wink

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
What! eekNo Staffs eek frown eek ubbcrying ubbcrying
Thats criminal frown help frown

To play it safe is not to play

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Interesting... I've already got the designs for a PCB of the right sort of shape to fit into a 30mm (outside diamater) tube. No physical parts built yet though as I'm still making absolutely sure the current (poi) design is electrically sound smile

Cake or Death?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
 Written by: strugz

the original reason to go down the new range road was to provide a toy that could be repaired by its user.

I don't mean to have a bash at Aerotech (well, maybe a little wink), but the fact that they're designing them to be user-repairable would worry me if I were buying a pair!

Cake or Death?

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
i hear what you saying Jon, but its the cost of posting toys that become the mission for them, so by using the ultimate range to send out parts only, there hoping to eleminate the need to send back the whole toy when / if wink it goes wong. biggrin

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Well that certainly makes a lot of sense. Lets just hope they're more reliable than the old versions (and I'm sure they will be!) smile

Cake or Death?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
anyone know what the music is in the freehand juggling vid ?

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

milkajourneyman
89 posts

Posted:
The second track is Four Tet - She moves she.

Nothing new on this topic ? smile

Page: