Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > anti-spin clarifications and naming one move thread.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
so, in honour of simians rant and my obsession with the extreme channel, I'm suggesting we give the "weaker" staff definition of anti-spin a new name of "opposite spin". (perhaps switch or fakie could also be used wink )

Also we need a name for the elbow wrap to back of hand to back of hand to elbow wrap move. Suggestions based on EWWE (elbow wrist wrist elbow) or EHHE (elbow hand hand elbow) may or may not be considered. The possiblity of naming the move after what it looks like could also be considered.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I like fakie.

It gives staff a cooler edge that poi fails to acheive wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
oh, someone in london was trying to teach me that thing. I sucked tho. can't the name's not have a *load of letters in them? i mean if we're going to do the retarded names thing we might as well say that thing where you flail the staff around on your lower arms for awhile... tongue

seriously, i like the idea of one-two word names which are not acronyms. like steve. steve was good. i'm going to call the effin move the gummi worm if no one actually gives a halfway decent suggestion.... and then not be able to communicate with anyone about anything... oh wait, i already can't! biggrin

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I really *really* don't like abbreviations with move names/move descriptions. It makes everything far too compilcated.

Named moves such as the steve, matrix and fishtail are easy to remember. Abbreviations like EWWE or EHHE is just going to confuse me, and newbies looking to learn some cool stuff.

When I first joined, the abreviations completly intemitated me. I've now given up all hope of learning anything from the forum posts, unless it has a video with it...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i like opposite spin, because it doesn't imply quantum interactions the way that 'anti spin' does, and sounds more intuitive than an acronym.
we may have to accept the reality that no naming system will please all. so in the absence of such a thing, i feel that 'opposite spin' is a worthy compromise.

--> insert llama joke here <--

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

Abbreviations like EWWE or EHHE is just going to confuse me

Drop a W and call it a sheep.

Oh... yeah... you wanted something less confusing, never mind wink
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1127702855)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

Drop a W and call it a sheep.

That's exactly what i said when meg asked me what to call it. ubblol

i also suggested "the lazyboy" cos it requires so much less body movement than most other contact.

staff "weak" antispin: Contra?

i think a "fakie" is something else already... can't remember what though confused
and "switch" is using your least dominant hand, obviously. rolleyes

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
So we've settled on opposite spin then? Good.

now: Saying to a newbie: "This move is called the sheep" is blatently not going to work. The steve is a name tooo engraved to change, and the matrix is a name which has a visual reference to what the move looks like. No newbie is goin to want to learn "the sheep".

I could go with "lazy elbows" or the lazy elbow move, cos at least the word elbow has some reference to the move, as does the lazy part.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

3,149 posts

Posted:
it has just as much to do with the backs of your hands (or wrists) though.

and "opposite" is used in terminology FAR too much already.

"Opposite? Huh? Which type of opposite are you talking about?"

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
i want to learn the sheep - thats sounds like a sweeep move smile

ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Is it? I've never really used it. There's no move with that in it's name. Or a direction of type of spin called that. And since it's a fairly technical, rarely used sort of term, I don't see why it can't be called that. It makes sense, cos that what we're doing.... What type of pooposite am I doing? Is there any others? Opposite what? Opposite spin!

Yeah it may have a lot to do with the tranfers on the back of your hands, but visually, it's very much elbows pointing forwards. If we named it after wrists and abck of the hand stuff it would get very confused with the horrendous amounts of other B of the hand stuff, and similarly the elbow part of the name may get it confused with the only elbows varaition of thte move and other elbow moves. But to name it after both will be long winded, and so far to name it after neither is obscure and bizarre. So that why we're looking for a compromise.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
sheep...... sheep.....
i'm totally down with sheep. and visually it may have to do with elbows but no-one knows better than me how important the hand part is ... redface

you could even explain th ehistory behind the sheep thing if you want to pretend in makes sense.... biggrin

dude, i just realized that doing it over wrists rather than hands would be sooo much easier..... i should actually think about what you guys are writing sometimes... ha *starts to run outside.. * oh right, its raining :/
maybe in a couple hours........

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

3,149 posts

Posted:
describing relative movement of two sticks "the staffs are spinning opposite"

describing difference in rotation of stick to its previous rotation "now spin the staff the opposite way"

opposite side of the body, opposite ends of the staff, opposite opposite

it's too common a descriptive word, as well as being part of terminology. Something a litte more obscure would be nice.

i don't like the sheep name much, even though i did at one point suggest it. it is a lame name (or nlame).
How about something more visually representative of what it looks like. like a conveyor belt, or someone fighting (elbow!punch!punch!elbow!punch!punch!elbow!)

oh and i still maintain that the pattern isn't EWWE but WEW
(to do a continuous EWWE, you'd need bounces on either elbow.)

hello, my name is simian monkey. i am moving into your neighbourhood. i am required by law to inform you that i am a pedantrast.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
It was merely stated in like five places.... i didn't say it was cool. most names arn't cool tongue

except steve. i still think thats funny. and i really wish dom had told me so i could have tracked it down again faster... ubblol

agreed that opposite comes up too much, ... but whats wrong with clockwise and couterclockwise, really? i didn;t know them well when i started learning staff, but you know what, you learn pretty quickly and if you don't it doesn't really matter, you can just go the opposite way when you're done with the first tongue

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

but whats wrong with clockwise and couterclockwise, really? i didn;t know them well when i started learning staff, but you know what, you learn pretty quickly and if you don't it doesn't really matter, you can just go the opposite way when you're done with the first tongue

umm, cos that's not what we're talking about.

we're talking about an alternative word for the "weak" sense of staff "antispin"

eg. the staff rotating in one direction, the body rotating in the opposite direction

which can be "strong" antispin too. But "strong" antispin doesn't have to...

i'm gonna stop writing before
A) i get fired
B) i start sounding like rev
wink

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
persume by weaker form of anitspin you mean moving the body the oppsite way of the staff type of anitspin i.e. anitspin plam spins, matrixs, steve...
personally I see anit spin as any move done with the staff spinning in the unaturel direction that definision satisfies both versions of anitspin plus it extends to anitspin angle roll. plus anitspin sounds cooler then oppsite spin.

Anyhow has anyone named the haloroll-neckroll comb?

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
why not "body antispin" since it refers to the two things we want it to smile

or if you want a single word rather than a phrase, "antiturn" describes what is going on pretty well... ubbidea

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I like coleman's idea as it does not require me to be sober or awake to realize what you guys are talking about...... (specifically, "body antispin" altho either actually convey meaning....) haha, I feel stupid, shouldn't post at 6am....

has anyone else realized that if you abreviate EWW (technically, before a repeat, i suppose ewweww gets you back to the other side... or yes, wew works) but..... it spells "eww"

what did i say about not posting before i'm awake.... i'm going to go hang my head in shame now......

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Coleman you are a GOD!

I agree with him. Either of those two names kick ASS!

Conveyor belt is a good name. Or maybe like breast-stroke, cos that's almost the movement that you do.

2-bags is a [censored]. would be a good name also.

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
i agree, it's about time i had a staff move named after me (other than the steve).

3,149 posts

Posted:
i like "antiturn" & "conveyor belt"

hehe anTITturn *giggles uncontrollably*

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
but you're name isn't steve - its 2bags... confused wink

i have a poi move that's not named after me.
which is weird.

i like the move name 'antiturn steve' - i imagine a bloke who is a master of manipulation but for some reason, has restricted himself to walking in straight lines.

turn : static : antiturn

ubbangel

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
he's certainly not very good at juggling. i mean, 1 club and consistent drops is ... er... [censored]!

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Breast Stroke? lmao........ ubblol

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
and you simian are allowed to own money?

Body-antispin and antiturn. DECIDED.

Breast stroke! Or conveyor belt...

Halo to neck roll to halo to neck la lal lalalal is next on the agenda.

3,149 posts

Posted:
at some point i'd quite like a move to be named the "Carlton" after Carlton Banks from TFPOBA

any possibilities?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Simian, it would be anTITurn anyway..... umm

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
warning: poi move description approaching! avert your eyes stick people!

carlton - parallel wallplane flowers with 3 petals (one in front of each shoulder and the middle one a little lower down) ubbrollsmile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

at some point i'd quite like a move to be named the "Carlton" after Carlton Banks from TFPOBA

any possibilities?

much compliments on your awesome carlton dancing.

hmm i dunno what the move would be tho maybe just dance and shove a stick in somewhere and see what it does

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
I like names so far smile

the front side version of neck roll, halo roll... i.e. throat roll, chest roll, was named the THE MOVE OF DEATH (said in a scary spine chilling way) after a silly conversation with Psi possible something to do with the fact you look abit like your droaning when you do it biggrin

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ewok

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Page: