Forums > Meet Others > South Africans... come on? What's with so little poi?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
RAZESILVER Member
How much for a truckload of feathers?
108 posts

Posted:
Okay, since I've been on Home of Poi since the beginning of the year and there has been VERY LITTLE South African presence on this wonderful website, I had to improvise. I went Dutch. And I learned a lot of cool stuff from the Dutch spinners:

1. Spinning with a community of people is MUCH better than spinning alone.

2. Spinning with a community of people is MUCH better than spinning alone....

do you get where I'm going with this?

I want to get meet SA Poi-ers... and even if you're reading this and you have no idea how to poi, but you came to HOP to learn, then I will teach you, just so that I have others to poi with... no, and I won't charge a thing: niks, nothing, mahala, nada.... GRATIS.

Man, I haven't seen an offer this good ever.... *sigh*

Send me a private message if you're interested...

Colleen

If you eat your dessert before your dinner, you will live longer. Living longer means more fire....

FlameChildSILVER Member
Pyromantic
136 posts
Location: Norway (Way way up North, on the left side of Swed...

Posted:
gratis?
norwegian word for "free"! biggrin biggrin

-= I am the god of Hell-fire =-
-= And I bring you......fire =-

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
I think the first thing is to get those few spinners and twirlers of various toys in gauteng to sign up and get involved with HOP. in cape town, there is a thriving poi community, but nobody on HoP (except me, and I'm leaving for a few months).

SA twirling needs to grow at home and on HoP. the more exposure, the more interest, the more fun:)

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

RAZESILVER Member
108 posts

Posted:
yes WOFT... I'm making a concerted effort here to build that community... see, I even offered FREE LESSONS. smile

FlameChild: "gratis" is also the Afrikaans word for "free" :P I think they stole it from the Norwegians, though wink

If you eat your dessert before your dinner, you will live longer. Living longer means more fire....

Captain_Hi_TopBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
well there are some other SA spinners but in Natal

Why does Superman stop bullets with his chest, but ducks when you throw
a revolver at him?

RAZESILVER Member
108 posts

Posted:
yeah... I know. but that doesn't help much cos if I get a group together, I want to spin at least once a week or once a fortnight. I think I'm gonna start "advertising" poi by spinning at malls and telling interested people that I'm willing to teach them how to 1. Spin, and 2. Make their own poi.... man, you don't get a better deal than that frown

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Well good luck, I hope you find some spinny people to play with. If I finally decide on when to come home for a bit of a holiday, I'll defenitly come meet up with you for a spin...its highly unlikly that it will be this year though, and even then, I'd only be in the JHB area for a few days...

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

RAZESILVER Member
108 posts

Posted:
thanks... and I don't have a limited time schedule, so any spinners and any time will do smile

Penstranger
16 posts

Posted:
Um ... one of the drumming circles out Krugersdorp way has a selection of Fire-Poi peeps who attend as well ... can't remember what the group is called though.

Also if memory serves me correctly then there is a group in Linksfield as well - they have a store at Rosebank Fleamarket.

I'm still getting into it and a bit shy of continuously conking myself on the head as I still do.
EDITED_BY: Pen (1131694461)

Light, Love and Laughter,
Pen

RAZESILVER Member
108 posts

Posted:
I spose I'd better start spinning in public places and hope someone's got enough guts to approach me and say "whats up?" .... I live just outside Krugersville [sic] and I have never seen anyone doing anything in the likes of poi. Rosebank is a bit far for me... especially on a Sunday morning (for the fleamarket).
Good luck with your fire poi... it's so awesome!

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
LOL

I've been trying to get a fyre community going in PMB (KZN), finally i think i'm getting sumwhere!

I'll buzz u if i'm ever going up gauteng way!

Perhaps get togetha for a bit of a spin!

smile

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

GruntLaFreaknewbie
6 posts

Posted:
ME! ME! ME! .... add me to the Gauteng Spinners Assoc ...... *grin*

Seriously though .... I am utterly amazed at how difficult it seems to find a group of like-minded, fun loving, fire loving people in this province .... grrrr

*Love the idea of spinning in public*

BTB looks soooo awesome ...... I just can't seem to get my shoulder sockets disconnected and my arms turned inside out!!!

RAZESILVER Member
108 posts

Posted:
A quick bump....

RencSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
Hi guys! I'm from New Zealand & I'm visiting SA for a few weeks in April. Anyone know where the spinners get together in Durban or Pietermariztburg??

RAZESILVER Member
108 posts

Posted:
just ask shu... scroll up in this thread...

Kahiataynewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Yeah let us know when and where, I have a few friends in Hillcrest who need to join you, they dont have poi, but at least they can see into the the world of........ harmony........ if there are any spare drums floating around I know they will join in...

Love*Peace*Harmony*Joy

RencSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
I'll be in Durbs from 10 April to 25 April. If there are people getting together in Pietermaritzburg I can try to get a ride up there with a friend but Durbs is better for me.
Anyone keen to catch up?? I can't bring my fire toys since they won't let me on the plane with kevlar reeking of kero :-P

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
hey Renc... see you when you're here!
wink

Kahiatay, when are you gonna pitch up at the talking drums drum circle?

It's like right there by you!!!

RAZE: fantastic Avatar!

Regards hug

Shu

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
RAZE: Any luck finding ppl to spin with?

ANYONE:

Up for splashy this year?

Gonna be dancing at the new drumming village, lotsa fun! Look out for Ice-E FyreStorm on the Menue!

Or join in on the non-fyre interactive dance/drumming sessions!

Regards hug

Shu

Yes, i do bite!!

RencSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
When & where is Splashy Fen??

RAZESILVER Member
108 posts

Posted:
Shu: yeah, got a small group going, but poi politics in gauteng is unbelievable. How's this: our little drumming and fire group organises a get together and the cover charge is R15 to cover venue costs. Another group rocks up and they're not so keen to pay the cover charge, but after about 40 mins or so, this other group descend on us, paying the cover anyway. By the end of the evening, someone had stolen the cash box. We suspect it's a case of spite frown How immature can you be? And some of the "main" guys are like: "well this mailing list belongs to us and these are OUR members and we don't want OUR members at YOUR venue." No one's willing to co-operate unless there's a fee involved. It's ridiculous.

Anyhow, we do have this regular get together at a STUNNING mountainous venue, so if any of you guys comes up to jhb at any time, pls get in touch and come and join us.

Not going to Splashy, but I'll be spinning at the April Oppikoppi *yay* Hopefully I can make some more contacts there.

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
eish!
well my group is down to 4 now!

politics sucks!
the "druggie" stigma sucks!
lack of interest sucks!
hell! these ppl in general suck!

so i'm moving with a good drumming group now!

Regards hug

Shu

Yes, i do bite!!

RAZESILVER Member
108 posts

Posted:
trust me, I hear you loud and clear. See, now in Europe and the UK, this sort of thing wouldn't happen cos there's just so much goodwill to go around... why can't we have "normal" poi in this country?

WinterWeaverBRONZE Member
39 posts

Posted:
^_^

www.klitsgras.co.za

Every second friday... they have a fire circle (which can get a bit cramped sometimes)

I'm in Pretoria, if anyone wanna meet up for some Poi/Staff playing, email, just send me a PM.

btw... I don't really do poi... I'm more a Contact Staff person

-- Confusion is good, for Confusion is the Truth --
-- What you focus on will become your Reality --

chamsPLATINUM Member
2 posts

Posted:
Heya Raze

I feel exactly the same. The interest is out there, but the determination isn't. I try and twirl at least 4 times a week, however it isn't so lekker alone. I did get the rest of the family involved, but they don't share the love of Poi as I do.

I need more stimulation!!!!! rolleyes

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
hay there all you lovely south African spinners, ill be in johanesburg for 3 weeks over the Christmas time so i was wondering what sorta things might be going on!

ubbrollsmile

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

MagicStuntsBRONZE Member
stranger and stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Here's a little extra motivation for you all - The SA championship of the performing arts has added a category for fire dance performance this year. coolThere will be a division for poi, staff, and 'other'. Age groups, entry fees and stuff are all in accordance with SAATME, which is THE association when it comes to live performance of any kind. We've got in a little late which puts pressure on me to assemble enough competitors to justify the new category. Definitely no politics involved here as SAATME is neutral and fire performance is only a sideline for us. Amateur, proffesional, newbie, expert - all welcome. All the dates for semi finals are up on our website https://www.magicstunts.co.za We need people to help gather as many fire performers as possible in all areas 'cos we can't be everywhere although we'd like to. If you can let us know about any gathering/drum circles between now and end of Jan that would be welcome too. info@magicstunts.co.za or call Alan on 0843900981. O, yes and we need judges in all areas confused juggle juggle

Got a brand new gallery

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Sounds good.

Hmmm.... Anyone on the Northern East Coast spin?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

kazmanBRONZE Member
16 posts

Posted:
ooh this sounds good

Im in stellenbosch area and theres quite a few of us who spin (got some friends together and we were like 10 or so spinning), its pretty big down here which is cool. You got the semi dates up but wot bout the heats? Would love to take part in something like this

Practise makes Poi-fect :P

MagicStuntsBRONZE Member
stranger and stranger
19 posts

Posted:
We've had a word with SAATME and now the semis are basically gonna become the 'heats' because we've come in so late this year and with the festive season an all there won't be time for a full series of heats. Entry forms are downloadable at the SAATME website, or contact me direct at info@magicstunts.co.za. Keep an eye on the Magic Stunts website, I'll keep it up to date. ubbloco

Got a brand new gallery

FireWillowBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
Im still a newbie at this, but im really enthusiastic about perfecting my poi.

If there are any in Milnerton or Talbeview that i can practice with - i wish i knew - theyre in hiding or something or im just not informed i guess frown...

Ive just recently gotten my poi and wanna practice with others - everyday if i have to - but its not fun learning alone and feel i would learn more with others...not to mention making friends grouphug

So anyone? My area...pretty please gimme a shout devil but i dont have transport - so ill gladly take public to wherever i need to be.

***Sleep when youre Dead***

Page: