Forums > Help! > An easy question about loops for fire poi

Login/Join to Participate

FrederikSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
Hello,

I´ve a little question for you...I don´t think that it is a very hard question, but I can´t find the answer wink

I want to buy Fire Poi in the future, so I´m reading the articles about Fire Safety and saw the movie..

There´s only one thing I do not understand: Why are all the loops from the Fire Poi from nylon and not from Leather??
I thought that Leather Loops were saver??

Thanks,
Frederik

jinvincibleGOLD Member
king of the hedgehogs
125 posts

Posted:
If you use nylon loops for fire spinning, you run the risk of having them melt to your fingers if something goes wrong. Leather, canvas or some other fire resistent material (like kevlar, but I wouldn't want bare kevlar loops - they'd chew your fingers raw!) are the safest for fire play. I can't say as to why synthetic (meltable and flammable!) loops would be the de facto... I'd never use them. They could turn a minor burn into a crippling injury.

Yellow and blue make green.

FrederikSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
indeed..if I buy Fire Poi i´ll also buy leather loops in the shop...but why aren´t they standard by Fire Poi?

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
generally, the loops and the fire don't come in contact much. and even when they do, they dont really melt a great deal if you keep the contact short. I do catches with my nylon loops, and they're still in perfect nick.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

FrederikSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
ok..what about the short contact, you´re right..
but when there will ever come a situation where everything goes wrong...there´s more danger with nylon then with leather loops...don´t you think so?

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
yes, there is. synthetic is almost always more dangerous than natural.

perhaps you could ask malcom about it? he'd know a whole load more than i do wink

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

FrederikSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
ok thanks!

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Yea. I switched over from synth (hesian) to leather (suade). Leather is ALOT better, iv had alot of cuts from hesian and it takes ages to break in untill its soft. (It melts if it contacts the fire for longer than afew seconds) The down side of leather is when someone drops your handles into your fuel censored When they dry out they shrivle up frown and go all funky spank help

#1 rule : never drop handles in fuel!!!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I think synthetic handles are used more commonly simply becasue they are usually a lot cheaper than leather ones. And because the risk is so small (although always there), it doesn't really matter too much.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
I tend to fit synthetic handles to fire poi sets that I manufacture for sale, and for personal use, generally because I find synthetic webbing much easier to work with than leather / swede. I tripple hand stitch fingerloops, and this would be very hard going with leather.

Would aggree though, leather is certainly a safer material, although you still get problems with fuel exposure, and cracking, bottom line is with everything fire, good inspection and maintainance.

mark

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I have to disagree about the synthetic handles being cheaper than leather - I've made at least 5 sets of handles from 6 euros worth of scrap leather I bought earlier this year. The pack of grommets cost me another 3 euros, and the x-acto knife blades brought that up to maybe 10 euros total - 2 euros for each set of handles all told.

and there is no need to stitch leather at all unless you are making something really fancy with wrist braces inclusive (like adamrice does for example) or something like that. A single layer of leather that is thick enough is more than adequate.

I still use the very first set of leather handles I ever made more than 5 years ago after almost daily use, many accidental dunkings in fuel, getting soaked in rain, singed, etc. They are niegh on indestructable.

I find nylon handles to be very uncomfortable in comparison.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

FrederikSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
I´ve no experience with fire Poi and also not with Leather loops...but í haven´t any problems with my nylon loops now.
I will buy Leather loops by my Fire Poi for the safety i think..

thanks for all your opinions!

frederik