FunkyMuffinMember
1 post

Posted:
So, I just read about how to make sock poi to use for beginners-- since I can't buy anything because I am sadly sans credit card.

Just wanted to know-- how long to the bigger socks have to be? I can only find one pair of super long socks-- and I'm not sure if they're long enough. HELP!

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
I'd suggest check for length like they reccomend through the shop. Check out a set of poi (any) click on poi then "how to measure length" Not too sure as I don't use sock poi, but worth a go smile good luck (soory I'm not so good with using links)

Are you up for it?
wink;)

Sidrahnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
…and remember, socks will stretch a bit when you're swinging them.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Most knee length ones should be ok. You just wind then up if they are too long.
You could just get your ordinary socks and put a small plastic bag with rice in it and spin that to see if the length is ok then go buy a swanky stripey set now that you know how long you want them.
Extra long is great as you can change lengths to suit your playing, girls clothing have a huge range of long coloured socks usually so go shopping.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I use what I would call thigh-high socks.. but then I'm only short wink I use Mr.Chutney's method of making a plaited handle with the remaining sock as long as I can get away with to still do buzzsaw without hitting myself in the face. Plaited handles have the advantage that you can throw / catch them biggrin

Cake or Death?

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
if it helps, i remember reading somewhere that the best length to spin with is the length of your arm, but then again its a personal choice smile

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
They're usually sold as "above the knee socks" or "thigh highs" I find that even knee socks are good enough since they'll eventually stretch rather well. In fact, I kinda like the length of knee socks.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I actually like sock poi to be extra long.

You can always wrap the top round your hand a couple of times. You obviously cant extend short ones though.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Sure you can. Swing full arms. Whats the point of having long ones? You gotta shorten them to do extensions or buzzsaws. And long ones dont throw very well either.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Written by: ICoN

Sure you can. Swing full arms. Whats the point of having long ones? You gotta shorten them to do extensions or buzzsaws. And long ones dont throw very well either.

...but they do look more graceful IMHO

Cake or Death?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Maybe youve never seen them used properly smile

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Shortening them can easily be done mid flow.

And if you want to do throws with them you can just tie a couple of knots in the end. Its no usually too much of a problem.

There are a lot more interesting wraps that can be done with long socks IMO. Plus I've just discovered the wonderful world of wrapped throws (or contact poi confused )

Again - its just personal preferance really. I normallly keep my socks quite wrapped and short but its nice to have the option to undo them and have massive poi.

As long as they dont drag on the floor they are not too long IMO.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yeah.. I used to like long socks but eventually found I really had no use for em. I dont do wraps or contact poi. I like having the ability to buzzsaw without shortening and my throws flip perfectly.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me