• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Multistick of the variety greater than 2

Login/Join to Participate

ben-ja-men
GOLD Member since Jun 2003

ben-ja-men

just lost .... evil init

Total posts: 2474
Posted:so ive searched through the archives and not found much just a couple of threads about juggling multistaff. having watched kyle do some insane stuff ive had a bit of a play and was wondering what multistaff things people are playing with if anything at all.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Delete Topic

bluecat

bluecat

geek, level 1

Total posts: 5300
Posted:hmm..

been playing a bit, but will get back to you when i'm a bit more sorted on some of the funkier stuff.

love
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Delete

mcp
PLATINUM Member since May 2003

mcp

Flying Water Muppet

Total posts: 5276
Posted:three sticks: Trap -> steve -> Trap.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Delete

UCOF
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:three sticks: Trap -> steve -> Trap -> steve -> Trap.

wink

Delete

mcp

mcp

Flying Water Muppet

Posted:Yeah yeah yeah. (God, I thought that was *implied*!) wink

What I actually meant was: horizontal devilstick propellor, steve, horizontal devilstick propellor.

But the traps one is worth a laugh too, it's just a bit harder, cos traps are tricky...

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Delete

UCOF

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:(and if im perfectly honest, the one you just described there was the one I thought you were talking about in the first place)...

Theres footage of it in the Tim section on one of the Falmouth vids. I think its Durbs'es'es'es'

hug

Delete

mcp

mcp

Flying Water Muppet

Posted:actually what would totally be better would be to swap sticks behind your back as your doing the steve... That would be rockin'

Or do something else fancy like. wink

Delete

UCOF

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:like a backflip.

smile

Delete

mcp

mcp

Flying Water Muppet

Posted:Yeah, almost there in the gym with backflips... should be any day soon... wink

or free cartwheels. That would be rockin' too...

Delete

ado-p
GOLD Member since May 2004

ado-p

Pirate Ninja

Total posts: 3882
Posted:backflips are easy

smile

Love is the law.

Delete

Kyle McLean
BRONZE Member since Jul 2003

Kyle McLean

Living it up

Total posts: 364
Posted:When you know how wink
As for playage with more sticks, there is tons out there. There is the juggle approach with x sticks, a more contact based approach with x sticks, and also countless ways for the body to hold x sticks in a static position, which can be combined with both.
Look forwards to seeing people passing silly numbers of staffs through the air and or surfing thier bodies.
I often get comments poping up when I start doing triples contact but I am very messy and very much learning this stuff still. I think it is important to be bold in playing and allow your body to attempt things that you have not learnt yet. For me this element of unkown adds a thrill to the dance and can have a sequnce of tension and release not unlike a nice jazz line. Or maybe I'm just a tripper confused
Just thought I would mention that because when I play multis I am often well out of control, but often still comfortable. It seems to be more a way of coming at it then a particular trick or style.
So no text decriptions footinmouth
BUT, a vid is in the makinggrouphug
Love & Stuff,
Kyle

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Delete

Olive
GOLD Member since Jun 2004

Olive

enthusiast

Total posts: 286
Posted:I found a badass way of manipulating 3 & 4 staves (spinning, no contacty stuff) just after coming back from uberstaff smile
I'll show it to ya if our paths hit somehow this summer ( uberpoi, play, psyfest: sonica ..), and when I'll get a video sorted smile

Delete

entheogen
GOLD Member since Mar 2005

entheogen

Total posts: 173
Posted:Im thinking all the two stick moves with the third stick as high throw must be possible- and some day I'll actually trust myself to put this into practice. I'm also thinking a lot of club juggling patterns should also go with three staffs- though juggling with clubs is a hell of a lot easier!

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

Delete

Olive
GOLD Member since Jun 2004

Olive

enthusiast

Total posts: 286
Posted:I'm bringing this thread up, as it should be THE multistaves thread

it's been a while since I'm supposed to post this, but I was away from Paris, lazy, and swamped with other things.
I wanted to further edit it before posting, but I couldn't find the time for it. And as I'm leaving tomorrow for one month in India, I'd better post this like it was previously edited (sketchy), rather than in late september

A VIDEO IS BETTER THAN A LONG TEXT ubbidea

with the " triple-cross " you can do virtually the same thing as with double staff
I've also tried the trick with 4 staves and ended up with what I called dual-plane isolation :
having two staves isolated and the two others spinning a standard pattern in a different plane

I've been improving this since the video was shot (june), and presented it in some Italian conventions gala .. but so far no firey video yet
I'll do my best to shot this, on fire, in Rajastan biggrin ubbrollsmile
If you comment, don't expect much response from me before I'm back from India, mid-sept.

ps>I sent it, before posting it, to some random dudes. I've forgotten half of my mates redface. So sorry for the ones that heard about it but didn't get it at the time ( Nate wink )
ps2> I'll be at Bristol JC

Happy antispinning to all weavesmiley

Delete

strugz
BRONZE Member since Mar 2002

strugz

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3964
Posted:Written by: Olive

ps>I sent it, before posting it, to some random dudes. I've forgotten half of my mates

biggrin - yeh im a random dude......... that is a sweet bit of insperation Olive, thanks for that - ages ago wink

i was going to post it here myself - but figured i should wait for you too, as its yours wink

smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Delete

animatEd
BRONZE Member since Aug 2004

animatEd

1 + 1 = 3

Total posts: 3540
Posted:Or you could just devilstick...

wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Delete

Mynci
BRONZE Member since Apr 2005

Mynci

Macaque of all trades

Total posts: 8737
Posted:Been practicing my staff on staff action using 2 sticks. just like a devil stick spinning one staff around the other... ubblol
and balancing 1 staff on the other in a cross and spinning them both only holding the bottom staff.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete