Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Multistick of the variety greater than 2

Login/Join to Participate

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so ive searched through the archives and not found much just a couple of threads about juggling multistaff. having watched kyle do some insane stuff ive had a bit of a play and was wondering what multistaff things people are playing with if anything at all.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hmm..

been playing a bit, but will get back to you when i'm a bit more sorted on some of the funkier stuff.

love
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
three sticks: Trap -> steve -> Trap.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
three sticks: Trap -> steve -> Trap -> steve -> Trap.

wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah yeah yeah. (God, I thought that was *implied*!) wink

What I actually meant was: horizontal devilstick propellor, steve, horizontal devilstick propellor.

But the traps one is worth a laugh too, it's just a bit harder, cos traps are tricky...

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
(and if im perfectly honest, the one you just described there was the one I thought you were talking about in the first place)...

Theres footage of it in the Tim section on one of the Falmouth vids. I think its Durbs'es'es'es'

hug

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
actually what would totally be better would be to swap sticks behind your back as your doing the steve... That would be rockin'

Or do something else fancy like. wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
like a backflip.

smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah, almost there in the gym with backflips... should be any day soon... wink

or free cartwheels. That would be rockin' too...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
backflips are easy

smile

Love is the law.

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
When you know how wink
As for playage with more sticks, there is tons out there. There is the juggle approach with x sticks, a more contact based approach with x sticks, and also countless ways for the body to hold x sticks in a static position, which can be combined with both.
Look forwards to seeing people passing silly numbers of staffs through the air and or surfing thier bodies.
I often get comments poping up when I start doing triples contact but I am very messy and very much learning this stuff still. I think it is important to be bold in playing and allow your body to attempt things that you have not learnt yet. For me this element of unkown adds a thrill to the dance and can have a sequnce of tension and release not unlike a nice jazz line. Or maybe I'm just a tripper confused
Just thought I would mention that because when I play multis I am often well out of control, but often still comfortable. It seems to be more a way of coming at it then a particular trick or style.
So no text decriptions footinmouth
BUT, a vid is in the makinggrouphug
Love & Stuff,
Kyle

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
I found a badass way of manipulating 3 & 4 staves (spinning, no contacty stuff) just after coming back from uberstaff smile
I'll show it to ya if our paths hit somehow this summer ( uberpoi, play, psyfest: sonica ..), and when I'll get a video sorted smile

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Im thinking all the two stick moves with the third stick as high throw must be possible- and some day I'll actually trust myself to put this into practice. I'm also thinking a lot of club juggling patterns should also go with three staffs- though juggling with clubs is a hell of a lot easier!

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
I'm bringing this thread up, as it should be THE multistaves thread

it's been a while since I'm supposed to post this, but I was away from Paris, lazy, and swamped with other things.
I wanted to further edit it before posting, but I couldn't find the time for it. And as I'm leaving tomorrow for one month in India, I'd better post this like it was previously edited (sketchy), rather than in late september

A VIDEO IS BETTER THAN A LONG TEXT ubbidea

with the " triple-cross " you can do virtually the same thing as with double staff
I've also tried the trick with 4 staves and ended up with what I called dual-plane isolation :
having two staves isolated and the two others spinning a standard pattern in a different plane

I've been improving this since the video was shot (june), and presented it in some Italian conventions gala .. but so far no firey video yet
I'll do my best to shot this, on fire, in Rajastan biggrin ubbrollsmile
If you comment, don't expect much response from me before I'm back from India, mid-sept.

ps>I sent it, before posting it, to some random dudes. I've forgotten half of my mates redface. So sorry for the ones that heard about it but didn't get it at the time ( Nate wink )
ps2> I'll be at Bristol JC

Happy antispinning to all weavesmiley

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: Olive

ps>I sent it, before posting it, to some random dudes. I've forgotten half of my mates

biggrin - yeh im a random dude......... that is a sweet bit of insperation Olive, thanks for that - ages ago wink

i was going to post it here myself - but figured i should wait for you too, as its yours wink

smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Or you could just devilstick...

wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Been practicing my staff on staff action using 2 sticks. just like a devil stick spinning one staff around the other... ubblol
and balancing 1 staff on the other in a cross and spinning them both only holding the bottom staff.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.