JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
So, this afternoon I went out into my backyard to practice poi, like just about every other day. But today, there was a nasty suprise waiting for me. The little white pine that I got for Arbor Day in the third grade had been calously cut down by my mum, as had the somewhat older tree my big sister got. According to her, they didn't have quite enough room or sunlight, but they was doing just fine as far as I could tell. It feels like murder to me (I'm not a hippie I swear!). Why couldn't she just have left well enough alone?

Has anybody else lost anything important from their childhood (security blankets, teddy bears, trees, etc.)?

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
When i was about 10/11/12ish my family went on holiday to cornwall and i took my favorite teddy my dad bought for me on the day i was born. we hade a fun time all week. but when we got home and unpacked,i realised that Snowy was not there. i searched everyones bags, the car and my perants rang the the holiday place. but noone could find him.
To say i wept bitterly would be a major understatement. i stil miss him to this day.

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
My mother has put down several beloved family pets. (I would defame her with regard to the level of evil that entailed, but I'm an attorney now, and I don't want to be sued.) And my parents sold what my siblings and I thought of as our family homestead - and right before they did, our barn burned to the ground. They thought we wouldn't care, but it was 15 yrs ago and we still talk about trying to buy it back.

It's amazing how parents don't realize what kids care about. Sparkey, I think your mom should have at least consulted you, she sounds pretty cool usually, and that seems equal to smashing a kid's clay dinosaur he made at school (which I assume no mother would do).

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
hug

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
My parents would wait till i had gone away to a friends house to put down the family dogs (it happened three times!). I would get home and there would be one less dog and they wouldn't explain it properly and i was devestated that i never got the chance to say goodbye. I know they were trying to protect me from the horridness of death but i would rather have got the chance to say goodbye

hug hug to you all. its sucks to loose special things

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
My dog died in front of me while my parents were on holiday. I had to tell them when they got home. I was devastated, but looking back now it was nice to be able to hold him while it happened so he knew he wasn't alone, even if he was in pain.

I remember when I was about 5 i had this little toy for easter, it was like an egg and a little chick pops out the top when you shook it/squeezed it or whatever. I loved it to bits, but I played with it too much and it broke, I was so upset I think I got sent home from school for the afternoon!

The worst thing was I felt like it was all my fault, I get massive guilt pangs even now when I break anything by accident.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Parents often do not realise the value of things to their children. An object in the childs room is considered differently to a tree in the family garden. Im sure they simply didnt realise how important they were to you both and were simply being practical. I havent lived at home for nearly 20 years and I still get upset when mum does stuff that messes with my memories. Sometimes she calls me first to warn me as well.

My kids have had a few animals die in recent months, most recently a crazy crab. My boy asked that I bury the crab for him and his brother and I did. I think it helps with dealing with death. When the family pup was deliberately let out of our yard and run over my eldest boy was heartbroken as he was having a sleep over and blames himself for it happening, this will haunt him I think for a long time. frown

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu