Forums > Social Discussion > Have you voted? Election Day 5/5/5

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello there fellow UK and Northern Irish Hoppers,

Today's the day (Thursday 5 May 2005) when you get the opportunity to express your views, opinions, irritations or support for government and how things are being done.

Are you going to use your vote or just let it go by?

Are you pissed off about our invasion into Iraq or the treatment of asylum seekers into this country?
(For the Northern Irish types) Do you want this country to become increasingly sectarian and extremist?

Please, Please, Please go out and vote lovely spinny peoples.
Even if you don't agree with the policies of the 'main three' then vote for someone in your consituency whose policies you do support.

Even if they won't get in, at least they may keep out someone worse (the BNP have been showing dramatic gains in the UK in recent years).

Visit this site and type in your postcode for your constituency details:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/vote_2005/default.stm

It won't take up much of your time - just ten minutes... but you can't complain about the country going to bits if you don't use your opportunity to change it.

Happy voting biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
well, i didn't vote for them, but they're a lesser evil than conservatives, so i'm reasonably happy smile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
but but but but Peter Hain is one of the most slimey low life assholes on the planet. I know I've met him a few times....... He all but leaves a slug trail behind him as he walks!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

He all but leaves a slug trail behind him as he walks!

is he where you got your inspiration for your slug drawing from? although i must say the slug is far cuter biggrin I'm not shocked with the results either or all that disspointed.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

NadishomeLiving life to the full!
177 posts

Posted:
Sorry but must say my suspicions over the voting system being rigged have just been confirmed!

Here's to another 4years of war, living in Bush's back pocket and making a mess of the country!

We are so going to need luck!

Life is short!
So lets leave a mark,
for people to remember!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
frown I knew Labour would win.

I so wish next election Lib Dems would get in. But i doubt that happening for another 10 years or so frown

Oh well, another 4 years of the country going downhill...

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
ey, lib dems got in in bristol west (my seat - tis a three-way marginal)

i'd be celebrating if i didn't have a paper to write

ture na sig

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i would of felt alot happier about voting if every consituency had representatives form each party

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well done to those who voted and made an effort anyways...

Commiserations to those who tried to vote and weren't allowed.

Thunderbolts to those who didn't bother...

The Northern Ireland votes are being counted as I type (cos we're sure as hell not going to sit up all night counting them smile )

I was hoping for a better result for the Lib Dems.
Apathy is allowing these miserable, greedy, murdering b@stards to take over - what will happen in 20 years time when the turnout is even lower?!

Sigh.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I reckon that making it compulsory to vote is a good idea.
We'd have to add two extra boxes to the ballot paper though I think - 'I don't care' and 'None of the above'.

Hopefully, knowing that they'd have to vote, people would read up on the people standing rather than just sitting around and doing nothing.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I voted! I usually abstain, so it's a novelty. I voted lib dem, not because I wanted them to win (i'm not sure if i'd trust Charles Kennedy to actually run the country, or anyone else who wanted to for that matter), was pretty sure they wouldn't win anyway but I liked more of their policies than the others and thought they deserved a bigger voice in Parliament.

But they've got more seats now than they had before, Labour have less of a majority so there will be more people to shout out 'NO!!' when Tony gets more bad ideas about bombing other countries illegally (and all the other stupid ideas he comes up with). So i'm happy.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
A lady tried to stop me getting on the tube yesterday and encouraged me to vote Lib Dem and I turned to her and said in the straightest Midwestern accent I could muster: "Thank you, ma'am. I wish your party the best of luck, but clearly I'm not voting." She got the picture. wink

I'm glad to see that Labor lost some seats. That might give the opposition parties a bit more voice. However, I note that both the Tories and the LibDems gained a proportionally equal number of seats. Actually, given their previous size, the LibDems did a bit better than the Tories. I would have rather seen the LibDems take about 5 or so more seats (or thirty, for that matter), but that wasn't going to realistically happen.

The outcome of this, I believe will be stability. I don't think the LibDems are going to force Blair into pulling troops from Iraq and certainly the Tories aren't chomping at the bit to be out, either. And even still, Labor continues to have a massive majority and will still call the majority of policy decisions in parliament.

However, the overall balance of power will stay about the same. Labor did bleed some power, but proportionally, they bled it equally in both directions (both to the right and left) so the overall forces will probably balance out. I would think that the smaller majority will make it more difficult, although hard from impossible, for Labor to force contentious issues through parliament and make it more necessary for them to form alliances with other parties, I would hope. But I also see that leading to a fair amount of gridlock.

So I expect that, barring (heaven forbid) a major disaster or terrorist attack, that the next few years should lead to very little change in Britain. And as long as Britain continues to do as generally well as it has been (strong economy, little social unrest, etc.) that's probably not a terrible thing.

But that's just my opinion as an American who's been in London for a week, so take it with a large salt lick.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Thanks lightning, glad you're taking an interest

smile

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Hey Lightning

For an 'American who's been in London a week' I think you've summed up the situation pretty darn well! I can't see much changing here over the next four years, I just hope that with less of a majority than before Labour will not be able to push though policies that everyone hates quite so easily.

Think that's about the best we can hope for really.

Oh, and sorry I didn't talk to you more at Clapham! Was a bit bewildered meeting everyone for the 1st time.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"Apathy is allowing these miserable, greedy, murdering b@stards to take over - what will happen in 20 years time when the turnout is even lower?! "

I thought that actualy...then realised that it might end up for the best... only those who actually cared enough to vote would be heard. Is that not the best way? Listening to those who are arsed enough to chage the country they dont like (sort of).

and Lightning.. I miss u. And you are missing a few too wink British party, british spelling wink

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Yes, but Jon the problem is the power-hungry rich fatcats will be able to buy their way into power even more easily, and the voices of reason or conscience will be too diminished to make a difference.

Yeush. Or maybe I'm just completely idealistic and it's been like this for decades anyways... hmmmm smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"the power-hungry rich fatcats will be able to buy their way into power even more easily"

How?

confused

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well, I meant two things.

Firstly, it'll be easier for big business types to control their elected MP biatches with healthy 'donations' to support the right bill - if we're all sitting back watching it happen, and not prepared to vote them out. I can see this becoming more widespread and blatant in years to come.

The second inference was that it costs alot of money to run for a local council or elected position. Therefore, owing to our laziness to vote in someone with decent policies, we'll be voting for the guy with the shinest leaflets, the biggest smile and the most television airtime (because the shiny leaflets, the stylist and the airtime cost money - the more money, wins).

If I remember my school politics correctly (which I may not smile ), you have to pay at every stage... you pay for electioneering (leaflets, badges etc) to become a councillor, then once you meet the 'right people' through your role as councillor, you may or may not be chosen to run for a particular party as a local MP - and you'll be paying again to that party and for electioneering, again. (Bearing in mind that most councillors are not poor - they have left very well paid jobs [lawyer, etc] to do something that is not so well-paid)

With more apathy in the polling booths, those who crave power, and those with the money to enter politics (either through an already-elected MP, or on their own merit) will find it much easier to do so.

177 posts

Posted:
I reckon it should be made illegal for people not to vote. Dont think Labour would do that though as know they would loose power!

This last election has made me firm on my decision to move to Australia as soon as finish Uni!!

Life is short!
So lets leave a mark,
for people to remember!

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
'This last election has made me firm on my decision to move to Australia as soon as finish Uni!!'

why? because australian politics are better?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

177 posts

Posted:
no because i hate this country! And better weather and living style!

Life is short!
So lets leave a mark,
for people to remember!

Page: