marmaladeSILVER Member
journeyman
72 posts

Posted:
hey peeps,

has anyone tried out the "Single LED light stick with string"? any caveats i should know about?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
kelly

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
They smash easily and aren't of a consistant lighting-strength... in other words you'll have on bright one, one dim one and both will smash as soon as you wrap/tap/hit yourself.

smile That's only the conclusion of my one experiment with them wink Others speak pretty highly of them and think of them as a viable alternative to glow sticks.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

marmaladeSILVER Member
journeyman
72 posts

Posted:
Hrmm thanks. That's what I thought. I really like the look of the streetlights, so might try those. Another idea would be to fashion my own from scuba markers, as they're pretty tough (or so I'm told).

kelly

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
i like my LED's but yeah they do tend to bang into each other, one of mine has actually broke (ooops) but theyre definatly worth it. there arent exactly expencive..... biggrin

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
kinda fed up with the streetlights now, until they make all of them with trip mode and steady on mode im not gonna buy a new set, plus even with the shelling the break easily, and my new ones have a dull LED so i dunno, kinda piffed. Trip mode is amazing tho.

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
ive just got the LED stick w/ sting - very light so they take a bit of getting used to but ive not smashed them yet -they're pretty bright and last longer than glow sticks for about the same price :P

back

gemitBRONZE Member
71 posts

Posted:
I literally just got my Mardi Gras (yellow, purple, green) streetlights through the post today so mine haven't smashed yet biggrin Just wish the sun would hurry up and go down now!!

I think they'll look excellent and they were weeeell cheap!! Bo selecta! juggle oooo, I mean: weavesmiley

Sleep when yer dead!

Ted, Ted, I forgaat to have me breakfast, d' ya tink I moight doie?!!

Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom.....

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
Written by: marmalade

Hrmm thanks. That's what I thought. I really like the look of the streetlights, so might try those. Another idea would be to fashion my own from scuba markers, as they're pretty tough (or so I'm told).

I have the mardi gras streetlights mentioned in the post prior to mine. I like them a lot, and I've gotten good reactions from spectators (but the specs have been non-poi people, so they don't necessarily know any better wink). They have three settings - blinking, consecutive blinking (like a wave), and solid. The consensus among my spectators is that the wave blinking is useless, blinking is sort of cool, and solid is best. I got the caution also that they break really easily, so for an extra buck or two, I got heavy plastic casings for them. Blocks the light a bit, but I've banged them up pretty good, and they're still goin'.

Which gets me to why I quoted the above. I started with the scuba markers - got them at sport chalet - and those are temperamental. They don't break, but the light mechanism is touchy and if you bang them, the light goes out. And if you do that enough times (say, more than 5 or 10), it will start going out almost regardless of what you do. I think it's the battery getting jostled around too much.

And that's my 50 cents worth. ubbrollsmile Good luck with whatever you choose - and yeah, some of the stuff is not that expensive, so hopefully you can try a few.

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

marmaladeSILVER Member
journeyman
72 posts

Posted:
thanks munky smile a friend of mine did a huge glow toy order, and i got a set of "fire" and "ice" streetlights. i'd heard about their fragility, so before I try to spin them, I'm going to do exactly what you suggest and get some clear tubing for them. i'll let you know what i find and how it turns out.

kelly

marmaladeSILVER Member
journeyman
72 posts

Posted:
gemit: oooooh a snaaaaaaake!

kelly

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Written by: marmalade

hey peeps,

has anyone tried out the "Single LED light stick with string"? any caveats i should know about?

The ones that HoP sells?
If so, I've got loads of these and I love them.

They're way too light to just spin on the string though (in my opinion).
My favourite set up for them... you know the little net bags that you get for washing tablets? Shove 5 or 6 of the led sticks in the bag (add extra weights if you wish). Attach the bag to the end of a set of chains, and voila... some pretty bright glow poi. biggrin

They do crack if you smack them against each other hard, but to be honest that's no big deal. Put some clear tape over the crack, and they'll carry on working for ages.
And you can hardly call them expensive... rolleyes

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
Mand has the right idea, as an added precaution......wrapping the LED lightsticks in clear tape can protect them from being damaged, and also a few layers of clear tape lets the light shine through and adds a bit of weight to them if so desired. ubbrollsmile

heyahoneyBRONZE Member
Redneck Woman
566 posts

Posted:
they make me mad cuase i always end up with a bright one and a dim one...i gave up on them

Top Three Things I've Learn While Being A Mom
1. Baby poop comes in many colors.
2. Makes sure all dirty diapers are not accessable to my dog.
3. Burp rags are not big enough.

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
*agrees with mand*

yeah definately very light, was considering putting them in some kind of clear piping. - for both weight and strength.

just watch them, as they smash easily.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Written by: heyahoney

they make me mad cuase i always end up with a bright one and a dim one...i gave up on them

It is possible for the switches on them to get knocked in the post, so they turn on and lose some of the brightness by the time they get to you.

If this happens, just send a polite pm to Malcom, and let him know.

If you end up with one bright and one dim after using them for 6 months... well yeah, the batteries don't last forever. They're $4 glowies, not $80! rolleyes
EDITED_BY: Mand (1117040818)

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

gemitBRONZE Member
71 posts

Posted:
Written by: heyahoney

Yep, my purple LED has already faded away to nowt much anymore...boooo but the green and orange are still bright as anything and people still go 'oooo' and 'aaahhh' so it's not too bad and they are hell a cheap hey?!?....I found everyone actually preferred these to fire eek....tad offtopic soz!!

Sleep when yer dead!

Ted, Ted, I forgaat to have me breakfast, d' ya tink I moight doie?!!

Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom.....