Forums > Social Chat > mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMARMITE!!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
wavehelloHi, my name is Laura, I am 22 years old, and for as long as I can remember, I have been a marmite addict. redface I have experimented with lots of substances - I'm also a bit of a nutella-head and partial to the odd jam splurge, but I think I can control it...
(ok ok, sometimes I get a bit out of control at parties or the like and generally someone ends up with a nutella-face redface... but its all harmless fun really.)

But one habit I take very seriously is Marmite consumption. I have tried sometimes mixing various substances on toast: - cheese and marmite ubblove, marmite and peanut-butter, marmite and jam... but today I was introduced to the idea of marmite and mustard together on toast eek It was just too much. I am disturbed.

wowBut, for you, Elora dana, a real inspiration in the field of toastal experimentation, much respect! cool

peace.

An addict in Vienna.

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Marmite - The spread of choice, the world over! biggrin

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
What's marmite anyway..?

*runs and hides*

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Written by: Bird

Marmite - The spread of choice, the world over! biggrin

Not so, you can't buy the stuff in most places outside the UK! I've not found anywhere else in Europe that sells it and I know someone in australia who has to get it sent over.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
OMG, what a good idea! I was just thinking about supper as well! The best thing though; add tomato soup! mmmmm....:D

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
I have to get people to bring it over to me too, BUT yesteday, I did actually find a shop here in vienna that sells it!!

white raven: marmite is a yeast extract spread. Basically the scum you get left over from brewing beer, scraped off and enjoyed by people the world over ubblove

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
not a fan?! how can anyone not like tomato soup?!

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
i do also love marmite

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Marmite and lettuce sandwiches are what summer is all about..... although now I can't eat bread...... would it be wrong just to dip the lettuce into the marmite and eat it?

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Of course not! biggrin

use 2 large lettuce leaves and spread marmite on them, and hey presto, marmite and lettuce sarnies!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
marmite, lettuce and peanut butter.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Marmite and cheese and... wait for it.... tomato! on toast!

Marmite and cucumber sandwiches also very good for summer, although they do have a tendency to go a bit soggy if you carry them round for a while...

Also, marmite and banana sandwiches, a friend of mine used to eat those all the time... i have yet to work up the courage to try that though

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
marmite and cream cheese mashed up in marbley gooiness smile

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
marmite, jam, peanut butter and lettuce.

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
marmite and cucumber sarnies mmmmmm

my doctor told me i'm not allowed to eat yeast anymore eek
it's been a year without marmite and i hate it but if i was to eat it now i'd probably be really ill!

i

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i find marmite in supermarkets here regularly. maybe its because im not looking for it?

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Where is here?

Dressed in BlackBRONZE Member
A Fire Inside
191 posts

Posted:
sorry guys but marmite is truly rancid, i've tried liking it but i get as far as taking the lid off then i smell it and cant get past the overwhelming feeling of disgust! IT'S JUST WRONG!!!!!

::: I LiKe pLeAsUrE sPiKeD wItH pAiN - MuSiC iS mY aErOpLaNe :::

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I was a die-hard anti-yeaster. However, I have been converted to the dark side.

However, I want to make a few things clear:

1) Vegemite and marmite are indistinguishable and identical. Take one and put it in the other's jar and I defy any die-hard afficionado to tell the difference.

1a) the previous statement is highly controversial and will cause every Brit and Ozzie to hate me and curse me and my children and my children's children and their children after them.

2) Nutella still kicks any yeast spread's butt from here to next Thursday.

3) I know there are multiple threads on this subject, but we haven't had a good Marmite/Vegemite/Nutella war in a while and, frankly, I miss them.

4) *dips finger in a jar of marmite and then proceeds to SPREAD IT ALL OVER MOLLY'S FACE!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MissEgyptologyBRONZE Member
officially expelled from BYU
195 posts

Posted:
ewwww....marmite is perhaps one of the nastiest things on the planet. It's just....eww. just ewww.

"So Miss, I think you win the prize... A mormon egyptologist in a firespinning chat room... that's gotta be a record of some kind"
-NYC

Thanks, NYC,but I quit mormonism now XD

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Written by: •L•I•G•H•T•N•I•N•G•

1) Vegemite and marmite are indistinguishable and identical. Take one and put it in the other's jar and I defy any die-hard afficionado to tell the difference.

I'll take you up on a blind taste challenge there Lightning. I bet you I can tell the difference! ubblol

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

195 posts

Posted:
To the untrained they're the same. I've tasted both but only for a moment because I made a point of spitting it out immediately. Maybe you people who like it can pick them apart.

"So Miss, I think you win the prize... A mormon egyptologist in a firespinning chat room... that's gotta be a record of some kind"
-NYC

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I know that this may be a big call... but... I am the hop expert on all things to do with marmity goodness and ya'll know it... *wiggles bum*
I am bi -spreadable as I have said in the past million or so marmite threads...I love nutella, vegemite is ok.. but its MARMITE all the way...

The thing is is that there are two different strains of marmite.
The first being the british strain, which tastes considerabley like aussie vegemite, but a bit stronger. The second is the TRUE marmite king which is Kiwi marmite made by sanatarium... this is a slightly sweeter version of the British marmite, and by far the superior. biggrin

Marmite on hot toast with REAL butter and a glass of cold milk... you just cant go past it. challange me if you dare!!

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Valura

I know that this may be a big call... but... I am the hop expert on all things to do with marmity goodness and ya'll know it... *wiggles bum*

Ah, you're just some silly Ozzie girl. What do you know? wink biggrin

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
*laughs at lightning*

if indeed vegemite is the same thing as marmite, i'll agree it is alright, best enjoyed very lightly spread on toast with melting butter. I have also been known to put it in a stew that my mum used to make which I never liked, lol. But as for you crazy peanut butter lettuce etc people.... no. thats not right tongue mm nutella.. smile

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:

I was a die-hard anti-yeaster. However, I have been converted to the dark side.

However, I want to make a few things clear:

1a) the previous statement is highly controversial and will cause every Brit and Ozzie to hate me and curse me and my children and my children's children and their children after them.

picks self up off floor, wipes tears from eyes and hands lightning some toilet paper

I believe that you have a very bad case of verbal diarrhoea ubblol ubblol ubblol Marmite and vegemite the SAME??? *sniff* I must have a more cultured palate...

ubblol wink

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
You people have no taste. The only way to go is Bovril.

Bovril on toast covered in cheese. Loverly. ubblove

Marmite is foul - i suppose i'm on the "hate" it side of the fence.

Gayle.....!

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:

4) *dips finger in a jar of marmite and then proceeds to SPREAD IT ALL OVER MOLLY'S FACE!

*sits sulkily with a mucky face*
I have to wait FIVE days for NYC to arrive to lick this off
And I don't think he even likes marmite frown

195 posts

Posted:
That's gonna be a rough 5 days Molly...and an even rougher time after if he doesn't like marmite ubblol

-NYC

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
I'll just have to fly Laura over for a special rescue mission

*wails plaintively for Laura to come and... um... this is starting ot sound too dodgy in my head so I'll just stop

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
*drools all over the thread* hmmm i looooove marmite!!!

on hot melted buttery toast
or in a sandwich with cheese.

xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Page: