Forums > Social Discussion > turn back time - thoughts?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
something that made me think - not sure where it's from.

Close your eyes and go back in time...
Before the Internet....
Before Semi Automatics, Joyriders and crack...
Before SEGA & Super Nintendo....
Way back...................
I'm talking about Hide & Seek in the park.
The Corner Shop.
Hopscotch.
handstands.
Football with an old can.
Jumping down the stairs competitions.
On the swings to see if you could go all the way over the top.
> Stone fights, using dust bin lids as shields. Skipping.
Fingerbobs.
Beano, Dandy, Buster, Twinkle & Dennis the Menance.
Space Hoppers. operation & Ghost House.
The banana Splits. Mary Mungo & Midge. HR Puff'n'Stuff.
Wimpy Bars.
Roly Poly, Hula Hoops, Jumping the stream, building dams.
25 a side football games until it was pitch black.
The smell of the sun & freshly gut grass. bazooka Joe bubble gum, Ringos.
jamboree or Lucky bags.
An Ice Cream cone on a warm summers night from a van that plays a tune.

Choc' or Vanilla or Strawberry, 99 or maybe a screwball. watching saturday morning cartoons, short commercials or the flicks.
Childrens Film Foundation, The Double Deckers, Red Hand Gang, The
Tomorrow People, Tiswas or Swapshop?, & `Why Don't You'? or staying up for Dr Who.

When around the corner seemed far away and going into town seemed like going somewhere.
Earwigs, wasps, stinging nettles and bee stings.
White dog [censored].
Sticky fingers
playing marbles. Ball bearings, Big Un's Little Un's, Pearls, King Emporers.
Cops & Robbers. Cowboys & Indians & Zorro.
Climbing trees.
Building Igloos out of snow banks.
Walking to school no matter what the weather.
Running till you were out of breath, laughing so hard that your stomach hurt.

Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights.
Spinning round, getting dizzy and falling down giggling.
Being tired from playing.... rememeber that??
the worse embarrassment was being picked last for a team.
water balloons were the ultimate weapon.
Football cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle.
Choopers , Grifters & BMX's
Eating raw Jelly, Orange squash, Ice pops.

Remember when.... There was only 2 types of trainers - girls & boys, & Dunlop Green Flash - and you only wore them at school for P.E.
You knew everyone in your street - & so did your parents.

It wasn't odd to have 2 or 3 `best' mates
You didn't sleep a wink on Xmas Eve.
When nobody owned a pedigree dog just cross breds & mongrels.
When 25p was decent pcket money.
Curly Whirlys, Space Dust & Toffo's.
Top Trumps.
When youd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.
When nearlly everyones Mum was at home when the kids got there.

When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him or use him to carry groceries and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it. When being sent to the head's office was nothing compared to the fatethat awaited a misbehaving student at home.

Basically we were in fear of our lives but it wasn't because of muggings, shootings, drugs, gangs etc. Parents & Grandparents were a much bigger threat!! and some of us are still afraid of them. Didn't that feel good??
Remember when..... decisions were made by going `Ip Dip Dog [censored]'
"Race Issues" meant arguing who could run the fastest.
Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in monopoly.
The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was germs.
The worst thing in your day was having to sit next to one.
It was unbelievable that `British Bulldog 123' wasn't an olympic event.
having a weapon at school meant being caught with a catapult.
Nobody was prettier than your Mum. (still now as well!!!)
Scraps & bruises were kissed better.
Ice Cream was considered a basic food group.
Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.
Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiecest protectors.

Want to go back in time?

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Stainless MunchkinMaster of the Munchkins
246 posts

Posted:
ooh ooh ooh, making dams in streams smile i remember spending whole days making dams, and then destroying them before anyone told me off smile

Are you that clever that you smile forever? biggrin

What's from the Earth is of the greatest worth

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I bought a paddling pool today and spent the afternoon splashing around! It was like being a kid again!

The neighbours kept looking at me funny!

monkeynamedspankPadawan
197 posts

Posted:
I get to play with toy soldiers as a job. Go me!

I think the best thing about being a kid was just not giving a monkey's about anything cos everything was taken care of for you.

Damn the addictiveness of forums! (Or should it be addictivity?)

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
Written by: ben_in_a_spin

if you want to travel back in time to those lost carefree days of innocent fun, pick up your poi or your staff or your diablo or your juggling balls or your toys (in the truest sense of the word) and go play!

biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

stavvyGOLD Member
18 posts

Posted:
Being in such a reminiscent mood with life changing suddenly every two minutes at the moment that was a good jog of memory back to a time when you thought time would never change and things would go on forever in a blissful world. How did we lose the innocence when did our eyes open how did i get to 21 without even realising, childhood is so short and why is it you always wanted to be older and now you want to be younger again and when did this change when did i start wanting to be younger rather than older. So many questions with so little answers. Thank you FNF for the most beautiful images of the past. smile this will leave me smiling for time

stu - the most intelligent (ameoba) in the world

tuconewbie
1 post

Posted:
I'm not one to post on forums but I accidently found this thread while looking for information on the "Banana Splits" for my kids. They have never heard of them! What's wrong with the world when kids have never heard of the Banana Splits? We were at athletics last night and I said "There goes the Banana Splits to pick up the equipment." (A guy drove around in a 6 wheel buggy) and my kids looked at me like I was on drugs so I want to prove I'm clean and that they did exist.

The opening post by the scarily named Fluffy Napalm Fairy made me regress to a simplier time. Even being on the other side of the world, there were remarkable similarities. (Not much snow in Australia)

It's amazing the calming ability of thinking of those simplier times. I have had back problems in the past and I found thinking back to my childhood helps to relax me and thus ease the pain.

It must have something to do with the busier life style as an adult and the inability to relax. There are too many standards we must conform to as an adult. I always say you are as young as you feel. I am 40+ and see so many people my age pretty much give up on being young. No exercise, no having fun, too many excuses for their problems. I still get out and run (track running) with my kids or kick a ball around with them. In my mind I still run 12sec 100m and even though reality is different, I don't care. It's the thought that counts. I'm as young as I feel and I still feel half my age.

It's good to see other people have the same thoughts and I can tell my wife I'm not the only big kid in the world.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
*bump* because I want to remind people of this again.

I was shown something similar to this about "you know you grew up in Australia when..."

Sadly, my childhood wasn't like this. I didn't live in a neighbourhood full of kids and I'm an only child with parents who worked a lot. However, strangely enough, I still associate these things with a childhood.

But some things do ring true with me. Like a parent's wrath. I've lived in Romania and now moved out and it still scares the hell out of me!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

SokaraBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
What a wonderful thread.

I remember the day when I went outside to play with my plastic animals in their grass hut villages and it wasn't fun anymore. I knew that I had lost something special that I'd never get back.
EDITED_BY: Sokara (1139292256)

Love is the prerogative of the brave.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Thanks Fluffy! hug
I used to play "explorer" and pretend I was a female Indiana Jones. The best day was when I was 11 and we got our first dog from the rescue home, a collie and spaniel cross.
But I only want to go back in memory. There's too much fun to be had ahead! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Written by: tuco

I'm not one to post on forums but I accidently found this thread while looking for information on the "Banana Splits" for my kids. They have never heard of them! What's wrong with the world when kids have never heard of the Banana Splits?

one banana, two bananas, three bananas four...

one of my favourite all time shows from when I was a kid... ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: pricklyleaf

I still get to play with mud everyday he he (being a ceramicist!)

Plus I pay outside with my (circus) toys

And I have lots of best friends

And I still walk to and home from (art) school, whatever the weather.

And I play games with the children at work.

eek What happenned to me, I think I'm still 8 years old eek

Oh well! rolleyes wink biggrin

that was basically my thought process too. i'm reading the first post (check, check, do that still, ooh she forgot "raking leaves just to jump in them", "daily pool parties and not thinking the public pool was too sketchy", why do girls play so much football? -- oh, SOCCER!, still do that, check, check, wow i'm an immature 25 year old, maybe driving to clarksville to play pirates and make bead bracelets is stupid, oh well...)

so yeah. if i ever make it to your island, prickly, i'm coming over at random to ask your mum if you can come out to play. biggrin

Written by: EpsilonKias

When I was a kid I remeber playing nothing but my gensis(Sega master system) and SNES for hours on end and playing with little toy soldiers and playing catch with my friends.

Not much has changed really... I still play my Gamecube and PS2 for hours on end and instead of toy soldiers I play with my poi and staff.

Ah the joys of looking back 7 years! XD

(Im 15 if you dont know ^_^)

this would be what's known as "the generation gap" i think. wink

-- dut

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:

stumbled on...deservers another bump

ubblove hug ubblove peace
weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

WirewoodGOLD Member
journeyman
90 posts

Posted:
Tomorrow People! ubblol I still remember that, great sci-fi on a budget. I remember watching Dr Who about the time Jon Pertwee started (just -I also remember that it scared the living c**p out of me) so I guess that shows my age. Can anyone else remember Felix the Cat, Rupert the Bear or Ruhbarb & Custard? My earliest memories of TV (or for NZ HoPpers only "Close to Home" when at home from school for lunch). Or am I going a bit too far back? I always feel old around HoPpers, maybe it's 'cause I am wink

Great thread, lots of memories for me. Thanks.

"What drives life is...a little electric current kept up by the sunshine." Albert Szent-Gyorgi

Page: