Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Manchester Spinners Meet up Info + Stuff

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
juggle weavesmiley Manchester Spinner’s Meet up and stuff weavesmiley juggle

Hi all If you are looking for people to spin poi with in the North west this is the place to be.

For any one new to this sight DON’T READ THE WHOLE THREAD it has been going a long time and contains lots of old information and chat about previous meet ups and organisation stuff just go to the last few posts to find out the most up-to-date information on current events.

First a bit of info the Manchester spinners lot is no professional spinning troop or organised events it is just a group of people who get together to enjoy themselves. The first meet up was organised way beck in September 04 https://delizium.fotopic.net/c291964.html

The crowd has changed a bit from back then but we have kept a few old timers we welcome all along to come and join us for a spin whether you be experienced or a complete beginner we are willing to teach and learn from you.

Their is no set time for the meet ups they are usually organised around when people can make it and how long they can stay.

I will try to update this first post as often as I can with the most up-to-date info on meet ups and club nights that allow spinning but if I'm being a bit lax just find the last few posts foe up-to-date info (like I said before weren’t you paying attention)

To date the standard meets have gone as meet up in Piccadilly gardens at 4pm (nice central point where every one can get to) Then move on down to the Gas Works/CastleField or Plat fields Park depending on the wether till everyone gets to cold/tired/burned then on to the pub

( anybody who doesn’t know where this is it can be arranged for someone to come meet you at the train station or wherever you are coming from .) smile

{ ubblove We are a nice bunch like that ubblove}

Accommodation for a night can usually be arranged but you need to sort this well in advance no just turning up expecting somewhere to sleep eek

(more to be added and all to be spell checked soon)

pm me any info you would like to add

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Poi_Romember
55 posts

Posted:
excl excl excl excl excl excl excl excl excl

Good news peeps

Kro bar on Pic. Gardens is Poi Friendly !! WOO HOO!!

Went in to day and spoke to a manager called Dave, very cute, slim, mousey brown hair, yay high, birth mark on his neck.. cant miss him..

not that I pay that much attention to people.. *innocent look*

Said "can't see it being a problem". He is going to be there on Saturday so if there is any probs i'll knock him out with my club and drag him back to my cave and ravish him.....er... i mean punish him... hehe.

BTW don't know if its going to be any use but i've started a thread called "Poi Friendly Places In Manchester", and hopefully in time other people can compile the same sort of list in their areas too.

I know some places can be a bit assy about us lot bringing kit in stinking of parafin n stuff but hopefully we can compile a list of places people like to go and Poi Friendly places.

I've stuck it in the "Social Discussion" forum as couldnt find a better place to put it. Sorry if its in the wrong place.. let me know if its wrong and i'll ask a mod to move it. thanks smile

How does that sound?

[Old link]
EDITED_BY: MrD (1136558612)

Thats Mr Poi-ro!
Qualified SCUBA Diver.. Not worked out how to fire spin and dive at the same time yet.. grr

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Guys its a little mean on the younger ones meeting in a pub dont you think?

We cant be like the Clapham lot and start complaining its too cold to be outside can we?

will is your one wheeled beast coming? Grand central(GC) is Uni friendly I'll have you know.

Something that may interest some of You from the Monster

demon_dj says:
n i gots a marvelous idea for next monster....circus theme...monster big top...need all ya buddies as clowns doin mad trickks

I've told him Ro's up for it but who else?

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Can I come as a scary clown?

Recovered from New Years Mill?

And thanks, your bed was very comfy.... :P

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh I dont think its a problem the youngest is kyle isnt it? Its not like pubs dont let you in if you look young, an if he wants something to drink one of us could go to the bar for him lol

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
the main idea behind the pub bit for this meet was for two reasons, the first being, elaine for example cant drink then drive home, and its her birthday meet too, so we said we would go for a drink before hand so she can have a couple plus anyone who wants to meet there can, the second being sometimes its hard for a newbie to just walk up to people, and so with a couple of drinks, they may feel more relaxed and be able to talk to others and say hi before the main meet itself.

Written by: loki.c1687

why do all jen's idea's start with a getting afew beers in?

hey! not fair frown i dont even like beer

but a cider wouldnt go down too badly... wink

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: house_of_mill

Guys its a little mean on the younger one meeting in a pub dont you think?

well i'm not particularly bothered, i'm perfectly happy to come along a little later as i tend to not really go into pubs, but i may come along anyway as it is a few people's birthdays soon

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
4 peoples smile

Meh

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
i dont do pubs cos im dull

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

GazzaBeeBRONZE Member
PoiBoi
627 posts

Posted:
Well, if the Poi meet officially starts at 1600 then perhaps there could be a pub meet a little earlier? I have to scoot for 1900, so I'd be cool with meetin earlier... I'll be able to see all the early peeps... I've got the car too, so, like Elaine, I wont be able to do much drinking!

Stuck in my Poi comfort zone....

GazzaBeeBRONZE Member
PoiBoi
627 posts

Posted:
And you're not dull Tobi... Probably just more sane than the rest of us!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mint Sauce

i dont do pubs cos im dull

Ive seen you do pubs several times! tongue

And yes Mill my one wheels beast will be coming, however I havent ridden it in a while so am very rusty, almost laughable

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: PyroWill

Ive seen you do pubs several times!

Doesn't make him not dull though. Just makes him a fibber wink

Meh

SchitzSILVER Member
18 posts

Posted:
Hi all...

I've looked in on HOP a few times in the past, but just joined...

Noticed that you have a meet up in Man/C sunday ....was thinking I may pop down if thats alreet .

I'd be coming from Rochdale, either by train or in my van....I know where Pic gardens are, but not the gas works.. is the gas works nearby, as in walking distance ? just trying to work out what form of transport to use .

And will people be at Pic gardens, or in a cafe ( Nero I think ) that was mentioned ?

What time will you be setting off to the gas works ? be good to meet a few people before everyone sets off, but I dont drink anymore ( mad enough without )..some of you mentioned going to a pub .

Also ( yep another question ) ...is anyone thats going, from Rochdale or be on a train that passes thru...just checking...coz y'never know...could walk over to Pic with someone then :-)

And a bit about me.... Not ab fab with the Poi, but know most of the basics with a few other strange bits added in...picked them up about a year ago and got totally addicted. But not had a full year of practice due to a chest injury ( from a stray diabolo that whacked me in the chest at high speed ) ...which still bothers me a bit from time to time.

Anyhoo .. I'm yearning to learn new moves, but I'm more of a visual learner, and pick it up a lot easier by watching people...so this meet up is perfect for me ...and tiz always nice to meet new folks and have some fun .

Sorry about bombardin you with tons of Q's :-)

Jaki

Poivert

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
WARNING: SERIOUSLY LONG REPLY AHEAD

Written by: Schitz

Hi all...

I've looked in on HOP a few times in the past, but just joined...

Noticed that you have a meet up in Man/C Sunday ....was thinking I may pop down if that’s alreet .

As has already been mentioned on a previous page, Sunday’s meet is an open event so your more than welcome to turn up.

I'd be coming from Rochdale, either by train or in my van....I know where Pic gardens are, but not the gas works.. is the gas works nearby, as in walking distance ? just trying to work out what form of transport to use .

And will people be at Pic gardens, or in a cafe ( Nero I think ) that was mentioned ?

The café that was mentioned is on Piccadilly Gardens, as is the new Kro bar. The Gas works are on Witworth street, in between Oxford Rd Station and Deansgate Station. They are opposite to where the haçienda used to be (if you know where that is.

What time will you be setting off to the gas works ? be good to meet a few people before everyone sets off, but I don’t drink anymore ( mad enough without )..some of you mentioned going to a pub.

There are a few people that don’t drink, or don’t drink that much. I think the provisional time for moving to the Gasworks is 5 pm, but like everything else that could be subject to change.

Also ( yep another question ) ...is anyone thats going, from Rochdale or be on a train that passes thru...just checking...coz y'never know...could walk over to Pic with someone then :-)

And a bit about me.... Not ab fab with the Poi, but know most of the basics with a few other strange bits added in...picked them up about a year ago and got totally addicted. But not had a full year of practice due to a chest injury ( from a stray Diablo that whacked me in the chest at high speed ) ...which still bothers me a bit from time to time.

Anyhoo .. I'm yearning to learn new moves, but I'm more of a visual learner, and pick it up a lot easier by watching people...so this meet up is perfect for me ...and tiz always nice to meet new folks and have some fun .

Sorry about bombardin you with tons of Q's :-)

Jaki

I’m not travelling from Rochdale, but I am meeting Lemminglady in Piccadilly station (time to be confirmed) if you want to meet up with me there as well, just PM me with your mobile number and I’ll call you tomorrow to confirm meeting times.

Don’t worry about all the questions, if you don’t ask you don’t find out. Hope I’ve covered everything, if not someone else is free to cover that or correct me on anything.

Owned by the lovely SNOOPoi
Owner of Clarence_Quack

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
I will be at nero caff at in pic gardens at 4

i think jen (liquid_bubblegum) comes from Rochdale give her a pm

if you need any thing more just pm me i will be glad to hellp smile

ps i dont dirink ither smile

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Good god - and I thought I was the bossy one!!

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Where is Kro Bar? as you're facing Picc Bus Station is it right or left?

Me and Jen (at least) will be meeting there from about 2.30 ish - Cantus and Star will be with me, hopefully Will and passengersw will too, then meet in front of Cafe Nero at 4, then move down to Gasworks around 5.

Hope to catch up with you all along the way....

Anyone heard from Pete?

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
If you stand by the water feature in the middle of the gardens and face piccadilly plazza/met stop i think Kro is the left one of the two retail outlets on that side of the gardens. (the cafe being the other) but i could be wrong and will check when im in town tomorrow smile

Owner of Clarence_Quack

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
bounce2bounce2First things first Happy Birthday Elaine and Gary!bounce2bounce2

Good to know your Uni's coming Will, Tobi bring yours please, we can annoy pedestrians ha ha!

So Half two for the Northwich lot(Ro Too?) I'm sure Will said he'd be in at one so I'll be riding around town from then. juggle peace bounce2 bounce2
EDITED_BY: house_of_mill (1136487679)

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

SchitzSILVER Member
18 posts

Posted:

I think you just about covered everything biggrin

Thanks for that..I had a feeling the gas works were down near the Hacienda ...havent been down there for years, but think I can remember the way. No doubt will be able to walk over there with whoevers going down from pic gardens.

Might meet you at the station...I''l pm you my number..

Cheers :-)

Poivert

GazzaBeeBRONZE Member
PoiBoi
627 posts

Posted:
Hey Mill! Ta very much! Going out 2mozza with some mates to celebrate, and then probably partying on Sat, and the poi meet on Sunday... It's a birthday extravaganza!

bounce2

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
Happy Birthday to Gaz and Elaine hug & kiss
also a belated Happy birthday to Dave, i was too drunk new year to remember redface

Owner of Clarence_Quack

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Hey there lads and ladies, thought I might pop over from the Pool of Liver this sunday and say hi, and maybe, just maybe if im feeling funky, spin a bit of fire biggrin

Thing is I have no idea at all about Manchester!

Is there a group of peeps who meet at the station (that being where I will appear from) and go from there?

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
yeh peeps will pick you up from the station what time you ariving

Wild Child and Jen (at least) will be meeting there from about 2.30 ish - Cantus and Star will be with me, hopefully Will and passengersw will too, then meet in front of Cafe Nero at 4, then move down to Gasworks around 5

we acn come get you at any time

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
Lemminglady is getting the train in from the pool so drop her a PM and see about meeting in liverpool and getting the train together, (you can both get lost then and blame the otherone tongue)
I'm meeting her and Schitz in piccadilly station (time tbc)

Owner of Clarence_Quack

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a plan, cheers beerchug Ill see what Miss Lemming is up to...

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Trains arrive at 14:10 and 14:33......and other times of the day too but I dont think they're relavent biggrin

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mint Sauce

ps i dont dirink ither smile

Neither do I biggrin nor Star. But i'm guessing pubs serve soft drinks too and rather than be anti-social b*stards....hug

Meh

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Yeh i still havent a clue where im going when i get to manchester, oh this will be fun

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Page: ......