Forums > Social Discussion > What People Think About Busking

Login/Join to Participate

dragonbreath2000
BRONZE Member since Nov 2004

Total posts: 3
Posted:Just wondering what other fire twirlers think about busking and if the government is a bit strict about places you can busk

Delete Topic

Klowny
BRONZE Member since Nov 2004

Klowny

Disco Inferno

Total posts: 160
Posted:well i dunno tongue maybe you should check it out with your local commity, shire commity possibly?

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

Delete

Domino
SILVER Member since May 2004

UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey

Total posts: 757
Posted:I think in Britian you need a licence to busk. Whether you get moved on for not having one (particularly with fire) is really going to depend on the local police force.

To those wondering "busking" is basicly begging by entertaining the public. Playing music, juggling, singing etc. I vaguely understand that this is not an idea that has spread to the US

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

Delete

JauntyJames
SILVER Member since Dec 2004

JauntyJames

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3533
Posted:oh, it's in the US alright, but its not as common. i've tried to find out about its legality over here, but i've been unsuccessfull. i've been meaning to actually call the police department and ask, but i haven't

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Delete

onewheeldave
GOLD Member since Aug 2002

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3252
Posted:Written by: Domino

To those wondering "busking" is basicly begging by entertaining the public. Playing music, juggling, singing etc. I vaguely understand that this is not an idea that has spread to the US

That's potentially pretty insulting to buskers!

Busking isn't begging- it's street entertainment for which those members of the public who appreciate it can contribute financially if they so desire.

In Britain any kind of fire performance is becoming increasingly difficult due to the growing use of 'city center ambassadors/street wardens': most councils are paranoid about being sued, so they're not happy about any fire based acts even if the performer is properly insured and responsible about safety.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Delete

Mint Sauce
BRONZE Member since Sep 2003

veteran

Total posts: 1453
Posted:On sat the Manchester spinners did a bit of street performing nothing fancy just us practicing in town before we moved on to the regular meet up point.

We went to the pound shop and got a bucket and some pens and did a bit of collecting for the tsunami appeal in just under 3 hours we got about 170.

We did get moved on by security though once and were very cautious about safety we roped ourselves in round some trees to stop people wandering past and getting a face full of flame.

To use fire in public in this country you need Public liability insurance and if you are busking you need a busking licence.

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Delete

Domino
SILVER Member since May 2004

UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey

Total posts: 757
Posted:Written by: onewheeldave
That's potentially pretty insulting to buskers!

Fair enough. I didn't mean it to be insulting, it was just a defination I'd heard somewhere and was the first thing that popped into my head. I like buskers but you don't get the more interesting ones around where I live.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

Delete

roarfire
SILVER Member since Jul 2004

roarfire

comfortably numb

Total posts: 2676
Posted:I've always wanted to busk....but with fire it's too much for your local council. You'd have to get a permit, they'd probably have to organise fences maybe? They would be very strict with liability and safety and suchforth. I don't think many council would allow it. I don't think they'd bother with it all. You'd have to go through heaps to get a permit anyway.

Plus, you'd probably want to perform when it's darkish....and no one is down the street much at that time.... at least not here anyway.

One day I will enquire about it, I've been meaning too since I took twirling up.

EDITED_BY: xabandonedx (1106048637)

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Delete

marco

enthusiast

Total posts: 328
Posted:On the isle of wight, there are no requirements for busking (street performance), obviously with fire though, the situation becomes far more complex, strict with liability and safety etc, as I understand it to engage in any kind of street performance within the uk, most counties require that you hold a street performers liscence.

mark

Delete

MiG
GOLD Member since Apr 2004

MiG

Self-Flagellation Expert

Total posts: 3415
Posted:i thought poi were classed as controlled fires, and thus are legal to do whatever with? just like walking around with a zippo, i thought. just a little bigger.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Delete