RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I was thinking about some Poi games I can play with my friends or wtih people I teach Poi.

I think about one for 2 or more people as TANGLE ME smile, but have not complet rules.
Do you know some? Do you have any idea? I would like to know and play some to make practising more funny smile and its good for coordination and orientation. You know school like game.

I'll play it ubbrollsmile wink

POI THEO(R)IST

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
poi gladiators once u have a broken flow your out

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Ben: I dont understand what u meen?

POI THEO(R)IST

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
underthelegbutterfly races

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
goooood smile

POI THEO(R)IST

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
How about add-on. No extra beats between moves. It's really hard. and great for learning. biggrin

Force those transitions tongue

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I've got three ideas...

Tangle me: Each person gets a poi (or two if your so inclined to be really crazy) and take turns air wrapping off the other person's poi

Bounce wraps: take turns wrapping off the other person's body. Never have to feel bad about losing because if you tangle a wrap on someone else you don't get burned! Kinda a lose-lose game...

Poi juggling: Two sets of poi, counting beats, throw from left (or right hand) to the other person. First to drop one loses. This one's fun.

And this isn't really a poi game presay, but it is wicked fun if you know some gymnastics... Have one person swing a flaming head on one long rope in a circle. You can do it at one low height or at varying heights to add some pazaz. Have one to four people stand around it, if playing against each other have one person start and the others jump in copying the first until everyone is eliminated. If someone gets wrapped by the rope they are eliminated. Do all kinds of jumps, flips, cartwheels, limbo-esque bending etc. to trip others up. There are many other variants of this game to play... If you have several people who know how to do this stuff, it is simply awsome. Always a crowd pleaser.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Klaus has a whole book of them. Did you meet Klaus at EJC two years ago Richee?

He taught a few workshops on them.

I think if you take any kids game and make people poi while doing them, you've got a poi game. Some of them wouldn't have worked cuz us grownups are too strong. There were several involving thwacking people with poi to make them "It"... that would get ugly quick.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Here is Klaus' book.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Gri-griMember
84 posts

Posted:
Written by: Cody

How about add-on. No extra beats between moves. It's really hard. and great for learning. biggrin

Force those transitions tongue

I think this is an awesome idea. In fact, it's how I did most of my learning. Choose moves you can do (and some you can't) and thread them at random into a routine and practise until the transisions become smooth and then change the order... Again!!!

Where the mind goes,
The body will follow...

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Try moves in the opposite direction too. I didn't realize there was a direction untill I was choriographed. Try the windmill left and right. Try different moves while turning left and right. Pick a video on HOP and attempt to do the EXACT same routine same beets and all. It's harder than you think. wink

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
new years eve had to entertain my lil cousins, so gave each one a poi and quickly showed them how to do a figure of 8 under the leg. Then you have to race to a point doing that and back again. Look hillarious ubblol

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
Written by: oli

underthelegbutterfly races

i'm with oli... i had great fun racing round the big top at bristol confusing jugglers.... biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
yea me too, i lost then, but ive been practising *evil laughter* ubbrollsmile

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
ubblol that means i should start training too... i mean.. so have i! *nervous chuckle* smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Richee

Ben: I dont understand what u meen?

Gladiators....to do anything (but one set move at a time) in a big group, whilst moving around trying to put everyone else off but keep yourself going. ie plate spinning, 3/4/5 ball or club juggling, handstands, hopping,

So, for poi, you could have everyone start with one handed butterfly. Once everyone is going you all run around trying to get in the way of everyone elses poi, or pushing them so they lose rhythum and stop and the last one successfully doing one handed butterfly is the winner biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Ravenhillmember
47 posts

Posted:
bounce2POI-KEY!bounce2

Towards the end of the saturday on the last Falmouth meet... it kinda degenerated into whacking a juggling ball with poi...

which degenerated into people whacking it towards one end of the hall or the other...

which degenerated into teams, goals, tackles e.t.c.

Half poi, half hockey!

Well... admittedly... it's ALL hockey... just with poi. Fun tho! biggrin

They are guides. They are teachers. They are like Yoda, only smaller and on strings.

--Meenik on poi

ChuckSnewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Plane control game

Two ways to do this. First, do something in the wall plane and approach an actual wall. The person who gets the closest is the winner. Second, poi limbo while doing horizontal poi stuff.

If you happen to have a cube you can stand in with adjustable walls and ceiling I guess this is ideal.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Turning Weave Endurance

constantly turn with weave until you get too dizzy and stop / fall over / hit yourself.

last person still spinning is the winner, and is allowed to wear the Hat Of Victory.

change to BTB weave to make it harder.
multibeat makes it easier though. More time to turn.

This game can also be enjoyed on your own.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Bra-QSILVER Member
92 posts

Posted:
Sounds nice simian. But I will use a different reward, not to sure about the Victory hat wink.

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
nah, i think the victory hat looks cool, but you shouldnt tell them, and make a really stupid looking hat each time, and make people swear that if they win they HAVE to use the secret myster prize for atleast an hour

that way you have some randomer walking round looking foolish with an overly big hat on for about an hour

or even better, get a traffic cone ubbloco

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

3,149 posts

Posted:
i forgot this variant. It's less competitive, involves less skill, and is based around pointing and laughing at people instead.

The Spinning Game
One person stands in the middle of a very large open dark space with some glowpoi.
(a park or field at night is ideal)
They hold one poi in each hand and turn round in circles as fast as they can.
When dizzy and about to fall over they should let go of the poi, which will fly into the distance due to the miracle of rotational momentum.
The person must now run to retrieve their poi as fast as they can.
All other players should point at the dizzy person, and laugh at them.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
are you allowed to wear a strobing mining lamp?

3,149 posts

Posted:
hmmm

yes smile

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
How about Simon Pois in stead of Simon Says. You could play all the regular rules of Simon says like if you switch to a move when Simon doesn't say your out. You could also get out if somebody does the wrong move or if it takes them more then one transition to get to the next move. I wish I could try this game out but my girlfriend and I are the only people who spin in my area.

Peace, Love, Circles