poi_boySILVER Member
stranger
42 posts

Posted:
im a drummer, been in few bands, two main ones and just bout gearing up for a new one....
Was having major withdrawal from not playin gigs man!

ne of u people play stuff, got bands or ne of that jazz??

what's the best gig u played, (dont mean how big was the crowd....!)
mine has to be in a local pub/venue thing, well small but when we played we had our sopngs proper waxed an let the [censored] go!! Other one would be london but if 'Nearly all Gone'see's this thread im sure he'll tell you about it!!!

take it easy people :P

easy ! ;p every days a festival!

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
biggrin London.

When we played our gig there.

And everything fell apart.

And the roadie dude had to sit in front of the bass drum to stop it falling off stage.

And the badger dancer collapsed face first onto the floor.

And no-one clapped.

And we had the best time of our lives.

biggrin

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I don't music..used to play violin, but gae that up after a few years. Now I sing smile
Prolly the best 'gig' I've ever done was at a school in Ipswitch (i think New Haven?) America. It was the last concert of our tour and it was just...wow. It's even on CD too biggrin

*aimz realizes she gone the whole post without mentioning the word 'choir'*...[censored]

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I play Trombone, and Alto Sax for my school's marching band... does that count? And as of a week ago, I'm learning marching snare so I can work on being in the school's snare line next year.

But other than for school, I only listen to the music... those whirlies that were/are in the shop look pretty spiffy. We should make a Home of poi orchestra with whirlies! Woot!

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I have been learning bass for 6 months but had to give back the one I was borrowing form friend while he wasn't using it. I also used to play the euphonium and I regret not going to school for music. I miss it so much but the cheapest I can find one for now is $1300 and I don't have that kind of money to spend on an instrument right now. I don't know what I love more spinning or playing that instrument.

Peace, Love, Circles

poi_boySILVER Member
stranger
42 posts

Posted:
i couldnt compare poi/staff and playing music, for me they do differnt things, poi is very medetative for me, even if im goin silly! smile drums is about catharsis, that an feeling the noise!!! smile
Tho has to be said that doin poi made my mind work in a wll differnt way for drummin!

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
It's because we poi to Ralph Myerz, man! You're just picking up the crazy beats from there! biggrin

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

poi_boySILVER Member
stranger
42 posts

Posted:
that guys such a dude!!

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
I play celtic music on the mandolin, not just an ordinary mando, but an old 1900s roundback... I do it as a hobby, and play for friends at parties and festivals- I don't do gigs. The most fun I had playing it though was at last years National Folk Festival around a fire with a bunch of wonderful hippies. some of us would play music while others twirled, and then we'd swap over. Best festival ever! (until the next one anyway) biggrin hehe

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

poi_boySILVER Member
stranger
42 posts

Posted:
sounds genius man! nice to here people lovin to play music just to play it!

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Uh....

I sing....

If that counts

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

*PiPeR*stranger
38 posts

Posted:
I play the piano and the guitar... I had lessons for the piano for 5 years, then quit because I hated exams, and continued to teach myself. I started from scratch with the guitar. My mate gave me her old nylon string (top friend that!) and I luuuuurve it! It's one of those dodgey old orange one's worth about $100, but it's magic. Wouldn't swap it for the world... well, maybe for a brand new steel string ubbrollsmile

I don't do gigs, hell, not nearly good enough! But what I love is sitting with friends at festivals or Mittagundi (Australia, Victoria, Bogong High Plains for those that know it) and randomly improvising, singing with each other, watching the fire die down to glowing embers....

rolleyes oh the memories! hug2

Oh, I also play the harmonica biggrin

~*PiPeR*~

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I play guitar piano pennywhistle bongos and I sing pretty good too... my best "gig" was when I played Judas in Jesus Christ superstar, and that knackered me senseless!!! I got best performance award though...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
im learning the guitar since yesterday,my boss at the bar is teaching me, apart from that i can play the piano, saxaphone oh and of course the triangle!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I press the Play music on my computer.

Cos that way I can play computer game and listen to music.

smile

Does that count?

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
UCoF -

I bet you're the best... err... button presser in the world rolleyes biggrin

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I sing in a choir.
Largest audience I have sung in front of would have been the closing ceremony at Kathaumixw, few hundred people or so... it filled up a hockey rink and them some, lol.

stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
umm, im not very musical.. redface

i do like to (censored) around on logic and things like that.. you know, electronic music composition is the formal term i think.. (big psytrance fan biggrin bounce)

besides that i bought myself a didgeridoo in alice springs and have been practicing that.. got the circular breathing down, but the biggest performance was for my family biggrin
haha.. if that counts, then that would be it

WonderlushBRONZE Member
Haven't you heard? I come in six-packs now.
134 posts

Posted:
I play flute alto saxophone, guitar and I sing & write songs.

I think the most memorable show I've played was at this little hole-in-the-wall bar in Berkeley. The stage was in this muggy basement with a super-low ceiling and the sound quality in there was awful. The place was packed and everyone was dancing and sweating profusely. I remember looking up at one point to see these 2 women in the audience lift up their tops!ubblol Our bass player leaned over to me and asked "Did that just actually happen?" The disrobing wasn't really the most memorable part, but I definately feel like that was indicative of the evening's energy. Ridiculous.

If you can talk you can sing / If you can walk you can dance

cranmerenewbie
19 posts

Posted:
I sing; medieval music, rock, all sorts of things in between. Largest audience about 2000. Best gig was a science fiction convention, the gig just flew and it felt as though we could take the audience with us wherever we wanted to. End of one eerie song based around the Mabinogian the whole room was utterly silent, then you could literally hear people draw breath - just magical.

More often though I'm found behind the sound desk, I'm a techie at heart.

Pat in Somerset, England

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
yeah! im lead singer in a band...we've had quite a few gigs now. tis the best feeling in the world playing to lots people who look like theyre enjoying it (even if they are only smiling coz theyre out of their faces lol)

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I dabble with my didgeridoo but im not very good, can't circle breath well enough and my attention span seems to short to construct any sort of tune in my head as I play that's not extreamly simple and repeatitive.

But I do play it occasionally. Although rarely infront of anyone.

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
i play guitar, no gigs yet, im working on it

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

NantheosSILVER Member
82 posts

Posted:
I play trumpet in 2 Symphonic Orchestra's, and I love it smile Lots of classical music, and concert tours. Last year we went to Leipzig in Germany (8 hours by bus). The year before we went to Sweden (15 hour drive). Both tours were extremely cool. My biggest audience will be around 1500 i think, a christmas concert in the city hall a few years ago. Most scary was the Last Post (solo trumpet) on...some holiday remembering the dead people of WWII...for like 800 people....really cool smile

I quit jazz and the likes a looong time ago..I suck at it and at improvisation to...

Hij die zijn kind benzine voert moet niet roken als het boert.

Love you MyIng ubblove

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Will any of you guys be able to see the Opening Ceremony of the Commonwealth Youth Games? If so, my choir is performing in it... should try and see it

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i play a bit of tin whistle & bodhràn...... badly redface

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile