AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey all,My girlfriend and I will be travelling to Burning Man this year. I'm wondering how many of the HOP'ers will be in attendence...I'm also wondering what the level of twirling is like? is it as good as I hear it is? Some ppl speak of BM as a world centre of twirling..Is anyone on this board involved in any theme camps?what do you think?Josh

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Hey Josh!I was at BM last summer. There are indeed a lot of fire spinners. That's actually where i saw poi and firepoi for the first time and that's where i learnt how to spin the basics (before i went home at practised a lot on my own!).Since i was a total novice at the time, i wouldn't be able to tell you what the level is since it all seemed pretty hard to me at the time and looked so captivating at all time. I might join the theme camp of a fellow bostonian who's going too. We can touchbase before the event and arrange something there. I'm sure there are a bunch of people on this list going too.nomad

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Josh, Yes, I'll be there. One thing I'll say about spinning at Burning Man, there is a lot of it. Good, bad and indifferent. There are some really good spinners. I'll admit my perspective is squewed. I'm used to seeing a fairly high level of spinning at home as well. But I haven't seen the world either and knowing some of the history of fire, I'm hesitant to think that fire in the US will really impress folx with a richer heritage. I will say I've had some of my best times spinning there and bonding my community. I've had some of my best times there, period. I have to say I don't just look at it as a spinning event, though that is a major draw for me. I look at it as an arts festival, a temporary community, an extreme outdoor experience, and a good chance to chill with friends and wear scanty outfits. I've also seen some of the most hectic fire safety situations I've ever seen. There's a high population of people lighting up for the first time and not always with good information. I'm a mixed bag on Burning Man. It's changed so much since I first went, so I've become a bit jaded over the years. I think you'll be glad for your experience there. My circus will probably have a village. :fingers crossed: I'll let you know. Diana

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey guys,thanks for the feedback!It sounds great. I have a friend that went last year and said that it was an amazing experience. Please keep us posted as to your whereabouts and plans for the Burn, as it would be great to hook up with familiar persons over there.seeya,Josh

tkerbymember
30 posts

Posted:
I'm going to try and make it this year or next. It'll be one hell of a lot of money to save up though as a student. I reckon with flights and entrance and the equipment and supplies I'll need I'm looking at a good £2000

moiravoidmember
8 posts

Posted:
i went last year and had a blast for the most part ( the weather was something to deal with) there are so many spinners to learn from and to play with....its an amazing experience. last year i had a chance to spin around the man as it burned....there were hundreds of other spinners, staff and fire toys as well....amazing...worth the money!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
2000 pounds?you getting a helicopter flight from Reno to the Playa?You should be able to get a flight to New York from London for less than 300 pounds return...then catch a bus to san Fran, then hook up with one of the many many crews going to BM from there...pay for a bit of petrol and do more than your share of work on the Theme camp and everyone will be happy you are along...I just figure that if I were running a camp and someone approached me, offering to work doing stuff and cleaning up after, and driving trucks etc, I'd be happy for them to come along. as long as I sussed that they seemed like they were actually going to do the work...but you can usually tell that quite quickly I reckon...Josh

Fire Punkmember
18 posts

Posted:
)^( HOORAY FOR BURNING MAN! )^(I can't wait for this years! This will be my second year. My fire group will hopefully have a big theme camp this year. I will keep you posted. Dianna, if you find out where you will be camping ahead of time, let me know. Or if you camp has a name, I'll look for it. Hopefully the weather will be a little warmer, but otherwise I thought last year rocked! I hope they plan on doing what they did last year w/ the man and have the fire performers do there thing around him before he goes off. only this time, he shouldn't go off early! Anyway, I hope to see you all at BM this year! it should be good!Fire Punk )^(

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
This sounds cool, seems like there will be several of us there this summer. I can't wait to meet other fire spinners there.Cheers!nomad