Page:
{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
I was thinking about various fire arts and how cool the flames look. Then I started to think about the glowing jewelery and stuff you can buy.

THEN i thoguht, well why not try combine the two???

I will draw some designs tomorrow when Im at work, but so far I have thought of a peice to be worn on the arm that can be set on fire. It should be safe enough to disapate the heat away from the user and also prevent any other part of the body being burnt.

Or maybe im just crazy ubbloco
I think there is lots of variations on the idea and if anyone wants to chip in then your more than welcome, just think how cool these things would look when you as a person light up during a fire display!

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

tigercubjourneyman
57 posts

Posted:
great , so anthrax wen u gona make it then lol

just me, my lighter and a lifes supply of paraffin

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
209 posts

Posted:
lol

I dont think im anywhere near skilled enough to make such a fine peice of jewelery, even WITHOUT the electric start.

This is all just speculation, even though its only an idea, if we fail, at least we tried.

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
as long as we DO try,
(grin)
later,
M

Devilstick_RussellBRONZE Member
I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
i dont know if anyone has mentioned this but where ever the jewelery is attached for example a wrist you would have to make sure the flames never were under another part of your skin that wasn't protected. like if you were doing the weave the flames would be under your other wrist so really you'd have to be wearing flame protection on both wrists.

Does this site actually exist? Or am i talking to all my other personalities?

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
209 posts

Posted:
I don't know what the weave looks like but that kind of protection would surely only be necessary if your other wrist was constantly being subjected to heat.

Sorry i just re-read your post and i answered a little quickly. Yes you are right these things do need to be taken into consideration, thankyou for bringing it up. Thats why the ring was a good place to start, the flame is small and generally not going to get in harms way.

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
many of those so called "electric" lighters use a crystal called...piezo (sp??) its a type of quartz that when compressed or struck emits an electric charge/spark....yeah...

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
Well,
I was thinking that the outside of the elbow might be a good place to put it, or possibly in a stripe up along the out side of the bicep area.
Not areas which are typicaly overlapped by others in my experience. Could cause problems with BTB manuevers though, or overheads.

Estella Greennewbie
5 posts

Posted:
i just read this thread and im appauled...i may be a nurses assistant[getting certified currently] but i have the smarts not to f--- around with fire unless its a good distance away from me....ill light up poi but i wont ever wear fire, i have known a few people[3] where i came from [seabeck, washington] who were idiots enough to light themselves up only for a few seconds...they had all kinds of material wrapped around their arm[they wanted to light their arms up and run around as "burning chickens"] long story longer they took the bloody things off when they felt the heat and wound up with third degree burns about them....so if your thinking of doing this fire jewelry and considering fire retardant materials or clothing..[asbestos gloves come to mind..]....consider this....as soon as you feel the heat...your flesh is cooked... i dont mean to shoot you down but i want that fact to be clear in your mind...

No letters were harmed in the creation of this message...

The Protologist called, They found your head...

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
209 posts

Posted:
Thankyou for that.

I do beleive this isthe reason why no one has attempted to create a device. It just isnt safe enough. I have turned my interests to glowing materials now, because it is a hell of a lot safer! But I still think about this thread and what can be done to make the idea even vaguely possible.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Apparently she didn't read my posts. wink

The devils advocate devil

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
I think that facts have been clear from the beginning - thanks to cody the devils advocate - but also, on this forum in particular, we all know the dangers of fire! and would not even consider taking the issue of fire safety lightly!!

This thread exists for the discussion of a design concept, nothing here actually exists or has been tested to any satisfactory extent - without which it COULD NOT and would not become reality. Good design takes into account all those factors, but good innovative design cannot happen if ideas are written off before they are thought through.

I fully appreciate the concerns of everyone who has mentioned the health and safety issues, and i do appreciate that the fact that this discussion has taken place on an open forum means that it is necessary to reinforce safety issues for those who might be a little more 'trigger happy' when it comes to safety. But personally I have approached this discussion purely as a theoretical creative process - I know and I'm sure anthrax, cody and all the others know, nothing material would actually come of this until any suggestion had been fully investigated with regard to safety. It simply is not a risk that can be taken.

I really hope that this does not come across as an attack on anyone who has brought up the issue of safety in this thread, because it really isn't, I'm just trying to explain reasons for this from a creative point of view. Without a bit creativity and some risk, none of us would ever be spinning lit poi or twirling lit staffs in the first place!

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
209 posts

Posted:
Well said NOn, for the time being I beleive we should all take this thread as merely intellectual stimulation.

All things metioned thus far are still far from being made and I for one enjoy coming up with the designs and improving on others ideas. I treat it as a way of curbing my creative flow into something which people may find interesting, or to help others have their own ideas.

This is after all what spinning is about. Being creative. It doesn't just have to stop with spinning though and this thread is proof of how a spinners mentality can be applied to the real world to help solve problems.

Leatherbloodmember
11 posts

Posted:
I am currently working on a necklace, with wick and a small vile with lighter fluid, bolo style that can be taken off and spun like poi.

bones heal and chicks dig scars

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Leatherblood, could you elaborate on that a little? Will it be on fire when it's around your neck? True chicks dig scars, as long as they don't totally disfigure your face. wink

Cody Canon

1,643 posts

Posted:
i read that as "taken off" and spun like poi, so i would assume that it's not on fire whilst round your neck biggrin which would be kind of cool -like extra portable poi.... but you'd need two of them to do poi, so maybe it could fit together in such a way that it cannot be lit whilst around your neck (for safety's sake wink ) and it also looks like just one piece of jewellery - take it off, pull it apart and have two lighting poi...? Dinky poi jewellery could be pretty cool in many ways in fact, think about it - always with your poi, but never looking like they are poi...............

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
209 posts

Posted:
poi keyrings anyone??? lol

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
when people were talking about traveling w/the fire poi, i found out that if you link the chains together and take off the heads, they make a cool belt

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
209 posts

Posted:
I just read the thread on Isis Wings and I had gotten all excited about setting them on fire.... until i realised hair burns and fire points up.

But my design had the fire in a strip going accross the back. What if the wick were to be attached to either the corners or the outside edge of the cloak?

If you set fire to the corners then you are free to move the wings because you can still put your hands on the rest of the cloak. The only thing you would need to be careful of is that you didnt make contact with the flames to your clothes, but then again you exercise the same caution when swinging balls of fire around your head.

Obviosuly the cloak would need to be fire proof/resistant. Anyone see a major flaw in this idea that in my excitement, i overlooked?

1,643 posts

Posted:
I don't know if i entirely see what you mean on this one... but i've looked at the pictures in the other post... i don't quite understand, is there something rigid in the fabric that holds it out like that? If so, then i could see it put on the corners - maybe beyond the edge of the fabric itself, as discussed earlier in this thread, there aren't really any utterly effective fire proof fabrics. - it'd be fine holding them out like that, but am not sure about waving them around, because it's much closer to the fabric than when you are spinning poi...

I'm also wondering, if they are rigid, how do you reach to light them, whilst still keeping them away from the fabric? apart from getting someone else to do it...

You couldn't have it all the way around the edge either because as you say, flames go upwards, it would be in direct contact with the fabric...

You'd have to think about the aesthetic compromises that you'd need to make for safety and think about whether it still looks cool enough to make it worthwhile.

Although I can imagine those in either a very shiny and reflective material so they could be used inconjunction with other fire performers - fire patterns over the wing surface.... or maybe... threaded through with EL wire?

hope you're still excited about it though biggrin

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
209 posts

Posted:
OOO I never thought about EL wire!!! That stuff is amazing (im thinking about getting some to mod my xbox with). Yeah thats a fantastic idea NOn.

With something as big as the isis wings, you can hide the battery and wires in a pouch strapped to your back. That would look awesome, especially with either a flame or a tribal pattern flared accross the back.

You would have to make your own though if you were going to set them on fire. If the edges are rigid (thats what it looks like) then you would need to construct them so that the rigid part is only in the lower part of the cape. That way when you hold onto it and bend your arm inwards, the wing bends as well allowing you to light it yourself.

But the thought of EL wire has just completely blown my mind open to whole new possibilities of clothing and stuff!!

Does anyone know if this stuff gets hot at all? Or is it completely cool to the touch?

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
totally cool, winkand also totally cool biggrin

1,643 posts

Posted:
'tis groovy stuff. Quite expensive though methinks.

Now, if you could make them work like wings too........... ubblol

wow, imagine flying with your personal glowing wings!! 'k. *travelling further into the realms of fantasy....*

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
209 posts

Posted:
lol

Getting them to flap shouldnt be too difficult... even if we have o resort to using string to pull them lol.

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
Hmmm,
*rubs chin while looking at old ornithopter plans and bits of bamboo*
....maybe... wink

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Maybe this is a silly question... but if you're really determined to make fire jewellery, why NOT 'just strap a candle to your arm'?

You could use long fireplace tapers (slightly thinner than a birthday candle); soak them in warm water until they soften to the point where you can bend them. Make them into coils. Make a bracelet (wouldn't use a necklace, heat rises and wrists are easier to move away) with a protective mesh cage (like a votive candle holder). Clip the coil into the cage. Wax is just fuel that won't spill (except little droplets while in use)

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
209 posts

Posted:
I think I get what you mean.

To stop the droplets you could have a small dish underneath the candle to catch hot wax. Its not a bad idea actually, lol and deceptively simple. I think this one would just about work safely as well.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Candle wax when hot is highly flammable. If I can't get the coal fire going I throw a bit of candle wax on it and it flashes into life. Take care with candle wax.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
209 posts

Posted:
But what about tea lights? You know those little candles in metal cases. They dont catch fire and the wax just forms a wet layer on top of the candle.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Soooo you'll just walk around holding your arm out all the time? If your ok with that use pure beeswax. The wax is completely consumed in the fire, no droplets no puddles. But pure beeswax is kind of soft confused confused

Keep brainstorming biggrin

Cody Canon

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
no, not a tea light. they come in those little metal tins because the wax is suspected to melt entirely. Not good. I said use a coiled taper because it's effectively burning the thin taper as usual, which produces few drips, but the coiling allows for a longer burn time without trying to accommodate 30cm in length; i.e. it will burn with a spiral motion.

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

Page: