kiteman

Flying high!

Total posts: 245
Posted:What is it about music that stirs the soul so much.

Example. Chilling out at home at the moment. Am listening to a CD I've just Burnt. There are some tunes on there that make me feel so good (That little warm glow you feel inside). The tune seems perfect in every way, and no matter how many times I hear it, it does the same thing time and time again.

Then you get the tunes that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end and make you shiver all over your body.

I find it so strange that there are people out there who don't like the music I listen to, when it makes me feel so good.

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough!

It's not the size of the wave, it's the length of the ride!

Delete Topic

onewheeldave
GOLD Member since Aug 2002

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3252
Posted:It's a good question, and I was trying to think of what it is that is special about music.

I was working on the fact that it's an auditory thing, then I realised that there are equivalents for all the senses, for example-

visual- sunsets, views, good spinning videos
smells- the way some smells can pull you back into things that happened years ago
tactile/movement- a good spin etc

But some music is very special.

It might sound a bit wierd, but sometimes I've heard a bit of music that's so perfect that it becomes more important than anything; and I think that at the end of my life, if I'm dying in a way that allows for some reflection, that as my senses shut down, and my mind disperses, that one of those perfect bits of music will be the thing that accompanies me into the void, and that will effectively be a summary of my time in this world.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Delete

griffin

griffin

feminine tiddly pom

Total posts: 505
Posted:its when a track can really really relate to how you're feeling at the time, whether its happy or sad. there's a connection which is so random-you've never met the singer/songwriter/band and yet they're conveying a message which (i find) can't yourself produce.
but also when yourself and the song has no relivance to each other, but you're just feeling it, in the pit of your stomach or the back of the neck. its beautiful...
sunny

in state of metamorphosis

Delete

ApplePoi
SILVER Member since Jul 2004

ApplePoi

Total posts: 35
Posted:Philosophically speaking, Schopenhauer said that out of all the arts, music is the most direct to human nature.
Assuming that humans our ruled by our will to live, (which we are! :P), the creation of tension and its resolution directly mirrors that of human desire arising and being resolved. Unlike the visual arts, where some rational thinking goes into the interpretation of the image and what it represents, music is so direct because two clashing notes sound unresolved naturally to the human ear, without a rational thought process being involved.

Delete

_Aime_
SILVER Member since Jan 2004

_Aime_

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 4172
Posted:oh i love that feeling. Especially when im in a f*cked off mood. All I need to do is stick some headphones in and 5 mins later im happy and bouncing aorund. At the moment the streets 'dry your eyes' has that prickly-on-the-back-of-neck feeling and Special D 'come with me' is that one where you have to drop everything just to get up and shake your boo-tay biggrin

Delete

pengwino
BRONZE Member since Oct 2003

pengwino

suitable for vegetarians

Total posts: 300
Posted:*pengwino bounces in boogying to Jacknife Lee as she types...*

bounce bounce2

music! ("...is the language of us all" - Cat Empire)

i'm never good at explaining these things, but i simply couldn't live without music and sometimes when i meet people that don't listen to music every day i wonder how different their life must be from mine.

obviously there is music for every mood, and i would like to share with you my favourite 2 examples. these tunes have got me through soooo much in life!

1. 'Don't wanna fall in love' - Green Day
Sounds very childish but whenever I was upset by nasty men I would put this tune on very loud, and on repeat as it is very short (!) and laugh and sing along and it was just perfect for cheering myself up. Oh gosh, I've not got that record out in so long, must go hunt for it in a minute and pretend I am a heart-broken 16 year old again!

2. 'Wedding Song No.3' - Aerial M
Seriously the best piece of music I have ever heard in my life. It has got me through everything - no matter what the mood I will listen to this for hours on end and it just ends up making me tingle all over, whatever mood I was in beforehand.

I'm not feeling very philosophical at all so I'll leave it at that, even though I have babbled on about the meaning of the above song for hours on end before.

Oh but one last thing... you know when there are small sections in songs - a particular riff, or "wee-ooh" in the background (here's my geek-rock side showing) or anything at all.... and they make you smile and tingle and you feel like listening to just that bit of that song over and over? You wonder how many other people that little bit affects in the same way? I've often thought about making a tape of those sublime and perfect moments of songs, in a row... but obviously that would spoil them, and it's a stupid idea. And it's time for me to stop being cheesy and shut up altogether.

animals who are not penguins can only wish they were

Delete

Doc Lightning
GOLD Member since May 2001

Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor

Total posts: 13921
Posted:Here's one: why is it that music can fill one's soul with light and life and yet bounce off another's with no effect?

Or why is it that even one year ago, I could have listened to a Beethoven symphony or a Haydn mass and felt nothing..and yet now these composers works fill my mind with joy?

Right now I'm listening to Vivaldi's "Gloria," a fantastic oratorio with soaring choral vocals and delightfully intricate string work. This same piece would have bored me to tears a year ago. What changed?

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Delete

Madam Flame
BRONZE Member since Jul 2004

Madam Flame

Satisfying HOPs Lust For Fire

Total posts: 308
Posted:It's music that plays me. From the depth of my soul outward, from the top of my head to the tips of my toes it is the music that makes me whole. Every song I truly love or hate is related to a specific point in my life. Slim Whitman yeodelling will always remind me of family camping trips where we all used to try to hit the high notes & keeping the eye watering notes going that lasted over a minute. Or When I'm Gone which to this day gives me a heartache because it reminds me of when my now ex-boyfriend left me to go to Bagdahd for a year's duty. There are hundreds of songs like these, each one tied to a special place that actually relates to the make-up of my soul & who I am.

Never settle for normal.devil
Average thinking brings average results.

Delete

Vixen
SILVER Member since Jan 2004

Vixen

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3276
Posted:When i was doing psychology at college my lecturer told us that the reason people find music so appealing is beacuse we have an attraction to the noise and feel of base xxx
EDITED_BY: Vixen (1091523768)

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Delete

griffin

griffin

feminine tiddly pom

Total posts: 505
Posted:i think because you have changed in a year (maybe??) and your experiences during have changed something in you, your personality somewhere that your music tastes have changed...maybe??

in state of metamorphosis

Delete

Frulein

Frulein

Fireotographer on Hiatus

Total posts: 284
Posted:Music is - like language - based on tones, tunes and volume. So if it's not the words that touch us while listening to a song / piece of music it's the way it is composed. For example song that create a melancholic mood are mostly written in F sharp minor (unless I am very much mistaken). So it must be based on a special noise, tune, maybe even vibrancy it creates. I guess it's prooved that electrical oscillations can influence people's mood...

"I see," said the blind man.

Delete

Lynesse

stranger

Total posts: 15
Posted:Without music I would be a shell of the person that I am, it fills me up and can shape my moods. It takes me places that I would otherwise never be able to go. I feel quietly sad for those people who are not moved by music and feel that they are missing out on something phenominal. But perhaps there is something else in their life that can move them in the way that music moves me.

Pure tones can actually heal your body. That is why after people swim with dolphins there is an improvement in their health.

If you have a choice between two evils...go with the one yo haven't tried yet

Delete

...{SAFE}...

...{SAFE}...

"if i jump in the fire, will you?"

Total posts: 633
Posted:african legend says it best ! "music is the rythm of your soul" ... "the heart is the original drum of the world"

believe it~*

i like breaking the Law frown , of Gravity wink !

Delete