Page:
_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
how long do you practice a day?

I practice from 1 hour to 4 hours a day.

EDITED_BY: (¯`•¸·´¯)PÕÍ § ßØÌ(¯`·¸•´¯) (1087446620)

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i practice differently depending on what ive just learnt and waht i'm about to learn.

i've been juggling like all day for the last week or so, but haven't really done any poi for ages.

sometimes i go a week without, sometimes it's constantly.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah - it changes...
Currently about 2 hours a day, but I'm on a bit of learning streak at the momnet, coupled with Glasto rehearsals eek

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
I usually practice for about two hours a day

Every day

juggle

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
at the moment alot, cos im sposed to be revising and its sunny.

probably a couple of hours a day- but i dont call it practise... tongue

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Hardly at all. About 5 minutes every other day... if that! But now its sunny its up to about 10 minutes cool

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
It varys. My staff is at school, so I can practice a lot, but I love practicing in the summer!

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmm!

Normally about an hour or so every day, maybe a bit more when the weather is nice!

weavesmiley

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:

I practice when other people are, i don't really have time to set aside as dedicated practice time, so when we meet up every week for a burn, I practice then smile

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Practice?? What's that?

I am a bit slack I practise whenever someone organises a get together or someone wants a fire twirler at their party.

I generally lead a very busy lifestyle so I don't have much time to practice at all.

MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:

God dam it i have alot of work to do ..i wish i could practice bout 4 hours ..i only get bout 1 hour...... and thats pushing it .....how do people find the time to practice more than that ????????confused

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
just depends with what is going on. Normally 3 to 5 times a week and for a couple of hours each.

hug hug wave wave

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
wow...you guys practice a lot!! i get in maybe an hour or two a week! no wonder i'm still pretty dodgy at it! ubblol

i guess not having a backyard could be a problem! i practice inside a lot - but my roof has this wierd sponged-on paint that sends little white flecks of paint everywhere when i hit it! (dang being tall!)

hmm... ubblol

weavesmiley

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Practice alot? eek Is that what this thread is about? I thought it was "What do you do when you get bored" thread. wink

hug hug wave wave

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hmmm.... anywhere between 1 & 7 times a week, for anywhere between 10 minutes & a few hours. just depends on how busy/bored i am..... weavesmiley

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I have a lovely big garden so when it's sunny I'd say an hour a day minimum on the grass, but when it's not sunny then I spend the same time in my living room smashing cups and candle holders and hitting GeorgeB with flying poi biggrin

erm....I mean....I don't actually practice only in my mind and then my spirit quides me when I spin ubbangel

All my practice is with (glowing) socks tho, thus my fire is not as high a standard but that will change during falmouth/Glasto I'm sure!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Not as much as I used to. If I see a new move I'll play with it until I've got it, but otherwise I'm being a bit slack. I need a good spanking to get motivated.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
spank
That help?
wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
about an hour a fortnight frown

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I juggle everyday with balls and when my clubs are here (dammit butterfingers are soooo much slower than HoP!) that will go up tenfold. My poi have broken and i havnt got round to fixing them yet, but i have around 2-3 burn nights a week plus spinning with random objects at home and school all the time. And with my devil stick i pick it up as and when i feel like it. ive been neglecting the poor thing recently frown

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
me too smile

i at least have a quick juggle every day but i wouldn't call all of it 'practice' - sometimes its for fun others just to waste some time waiting for trains and such.

when i do that i generally juggle solid tricks that i don't drop much.

more often than not i manage to get between 30 mins and 2 hours in most days and anything over 30 mins is usually spent on refining things i can't do very well or learning new stuff rather than juggling tricks i can already do well.

what clubs did you choose aimee?

juggle

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Apart from the last couple of weeks when Durbs has been setting a strict practice regime, I'd say I practice once a week for about three hours with the Burnt Toast people. Then again a lot of that time is taken up talking and eating pies!!

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

PheonnexxBRONZE Member
89 posts

Posted:
Hmm having exams recently has slowed my practice down but i usually get an hour every couple of days which lets me learn slowly. Sometimes i have these great learning spurts after meetin up with sum1 else that use poi but those arent very often.

frown

Burn !

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

I do not practise, just do.

POI THEO(R)IST

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Ya know what, I think I spend more time on here than I do spinning.... I'm a big old fake.

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I "practice", by which i mean "attempt to learn something new" about once a week.

I haka poi every day.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I try to have a play every day for about an hour and a half (when it's not raining, too windy or too hectic, so really, about 3/4 times a week!!).
But I only set fire to them about once a fortnight (cos my wicks are kinda wrecked).
I'm going to do my first fireshow tonight, outside Milk in Belfast.
I'm kindof nervous... when I was travelling it was ok, cos I was meeting lots of other twirlers and we could all encourage each other, but because I'm on my own here I seem to be losing confidence that the dance actually looks ok...
Oh well, I know it'll be ok once I get going smile

Getting to the other side smile

NOiABRONZE Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
: ) i practise only when i saw i new move i want to try...en than i will practise untill i can do the trick...and...i'm bored again : ) ubbrollsmile

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Written by:

what clubs did you choose aimee?

ah just some cheapees cos im just starting. Beard flare one peice club. mum looked at me like this umm ubblol when i asked for radical fish ones tee hee.

btw. the reason there being so slow is because they won't have them in purple until next week mad so naturally me being and impatient moose, rang them and asked for blue instead biggrin

lorryBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
i dont have a set amount of time but i get outside a couple of times a day every day. sometimes i twirl for hours, other times only 5-10 minutes.

at the moment i have my finals and i go outside about once every hour. i find it really de-stresse me and i can concentrate so much better when i cum back.

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
damn, you guys practice alot, i dont think of it as practicing at all, i just spin whenever i see my poi sitting there and feel like picking them up....peace

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

Page: