Forums > Social Discussion > some people will they never just accept we're all just people

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
a dissapointing news item but hopefully it will be a wrong soon righted.

As additional info I've been to this area of france and the people are terribly homophobic. The government even want to suspend the Mayor for sanctioning this

eat me, drink me, click me

Let's relight this forum ubblove

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
But are we all equal?

It seems to me that Lightning appears to be one of the few in this thread recognising the rights of other people to believe in an opinion that differs to the pro-same-sex-marriage cause.

In that case, it seems, that these people's right to voice their opinion should be taken away, as their opinion disagrees with what some call equality for all. Meaning their equality status drops...

It's not a pleasant thign to think about, but the term equality is essentially a wonderful ideal that will never be attained completely, but that can be a goal we can get closer to in our own actions and in legislation.

Unfortunately, we are all individuals, and we all have strengths and weaknesses and faults and skills which mean we will never be equal. All we can do is be given the same options and opportinities as everyone else, and see what we can make of ourselves.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Equality is a long way from opinion, individual strengths & weaknesses and faults & skills. Actions count far greater. Believing someone has the right to do something you don't agree with such as same-sex marriagem is fine, but to force that opinion on someone else would be very wrong and that would further prevent equality throughout this lovely planet.

I think you're right tho, equality is an ideal we will probaby never achieve, sadly our ego's would stop it from ever happenning frown

But that won't stop us trying

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
ok here is what i think i think that is just plain silly
if you are a good person thats all that should matter who you want to be with is up to you.
so go on and be with who you want if you can love the person thats all that counts right?

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Charles

It seems to me that Lightning appears to be one of the few in this thread recognising the rights of other people to believe in an opinion that differs to the pro-same-sex-marriage cause.

That's a bit charitable. I believe in their right to voice it. I just don't believe in their right to ultimately deny me the right to do it. So ultimately, my view is "say what you want, but I will fight tooth and nail to make sure that your voice is ALL you have."

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
"...Unless you happen to agree with me at the moment.."

biggrin biggrin

Sorry couldn't resist putting that in.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Charles?

*THWAP*

That is all. You may go, now.

tongue

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Well it's looking like it's still going on in California

Another backward step by the US/State leadership ubbcrying

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Perhaps, but perhaps not. The court did not rule on the constitutionality of the law restricting marriage between a man and a woman.

The court only ruled on whether San Francisco overstepped its bounds when the mayor decided that he thought the state law was unconstitutional, and would thus ignore it.

While I appreciate the mayor's actions, the court had little choice with that aspect of their decision. I was, though, surprised to see them declare the licenses already issued void. That's harsh.

Mind you, I personally wish the court would have ruled otherwise...however if they did, then any mayor in California who decided they didn't agree with a certain state law could ignore it. . . which could lead to chaos.

There is a law suit that is making its way through the California courts challenging the California Defense of Marriage law. It is this ruling that will be most important to the gay and lesbian community.

If the state court does declare it unconstitutional, then the State will probably appeal to the US Supreme court. Whether or not the US Supreme court actually has the kahunas to take up the issue is another matter entirely...

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

Page: