Forums > Social Discussion > The current atmosphere in this forum

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:

This is an open post to all of you. It's not just for those people you think it's for - it's for them, you and everyone else to take note of.

I've not been on HoP much for the last couple of weeks, but it seems clear to me that there has been a lot of negativity thrown around the place. Whilst I could list a few core people what I have to say applies to every member of this community. It is clear that some people are too eager to turn discussions into personal slanging matches.

This has to stop. Home of Poi is not a place for you to pick fights, throw insults and engage in petty bickering.

Before you post I ask you to consider that Home of Poi is intented as an open, friendly community of people. As a community based on the loose connection that we all spin poi, staff or the like it is often the case that members have vastly differing views to each other. Therefore I ask you to respect this fact and treat each other warmly or, at worst, not at all.

It is my wish, and I believe it is Malcolm's too, that this comunity is a welcoming, open minded, warm, understanding, supporting and forgiving community based around spinning, regardless of politics and religion. If you are not prepared to play a part in making this comunity so, then please leave now. Otherwise read on.

The 'Social Discussion' forum in particular was always going to be a tricky one to keep the peace in. People with opposing views can and do have active, intelligent discussions without descending into what resembles a pack of monkeys screaming at each other across a stream. My hope was that this forum would give us a place to have sensible, open discussions where people can express their views, and I think that this has worked most of the time.

Before you post please consider a few things, including:
- Am I making this post out of anger?
- Do I have a valid point to make?
- Am I making my point/beliefs/idea clearly enough considering the limitations of post based communication?

If the answer to any of these is NO then reconsider you post.

- Is my post likely to cause an inflamatory reaction with a particular member/s?
- Is this post part of an increasingly heated exchange between 2/3 people?

If the answer is yes then chances are you're involved in a slanging match and there's no point continuing an open argument. Not only does everyone involved look bad and the community vibe disturbed, but the simple truth is that you are not going to change the views of someone so openly opposed to your way of thinking. So, if you wish to take individual matter further I recomend you do so via email or PM.

So, please everyone, think positively before you post.

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
Im one of the guilty parties, and probably the most outstanding of them, I don't intentionally try to be antagonistic, but it comes out anyways.

Im guilty of not being more careful to check what I have typed before I hit the reply button, my behaviour is indicative of some serious flaws in myself that I am aware of, and am constantly trying to curb. I like to debate lately just to test myself to make sure I can handle it, but I can't.

Ill be dissapearing from the discussion forum, unless theres something which doesn't in any way resemble a debate.

Im sorry.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
just follow the steps above, you don't have to dissapear altogether. Take part as that's what "community" is for hug just remember to use the preview button before posting....it's not like anyone else is perfect! wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
Im aware of the steps above, I try to follow them whenever I post, but I often am to impulsive, and agrression seeps into things I write which I don't pick up untill I review it like a day latter.

Basicly I need to sort some things.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Hey, I think we need to apologize to those we've offended, grouphug, maybe even
Non-Https Image Link
, and then pick up and move on. (Yes, I am using this as an excuse to snog [and yes, "snog" is my new favorite word] biggrin ).

In all seriousness, this business of people who have been valuable contributors to this board leaving just...well, I don't like it. I don't want robotface to leave. I don't want spanner to leave.

Spanner and I got into a little spat a while back and we worked it out and we're cool now. I think that proves it's possible. So rather than be blinded by pride and stalk off in anger or frustration, let's set an example amongst ourselves of how we wish the world would run. We needn't agree (without disagreement, there would be no debate), but we do need to understand and respect each-other.

weavesmiley

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
Im not stalking off in anger and frustration (well perhaps a lot of frustration with myself)

Im not angry at spanner, I don't know her well enough to have anger which lasts for more then a short time towards her, im angry with myself and im disturbed that a part of me is surfaceing that I don't like, it's easier for me to take a break then to let myself fall into old habbits.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Im not stalking off in anger and frustration (well perhaps a lot of frustration with myself)

Im not angry at spanner, I don't know her well enough to have anger which lasts for more then a short time towards her, im angry with myself and im disturbed that a part of me is surfaceing that I don't like, it's easier for me to take a break then to let myself fall into old habbits.

So rather than run from your elements that scare you, why not practice facing them and modifying your behavior? The "Edit" function exists for a reason, mate!

-Mike

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
I have posted out of frustration before, even a bit of malice, but never anger. I have in the past thrown out a little bait, but in my opinion never went out trolling. I think highly of the fact that people here are open to debate on just about any topic and that is, to me, a lot of fun. I guess I don't know people well enough to take a poke at their pride or education. I was wrong to do that and I apologise.

Robotface, I dont agree with you a lot of the time but I would hate to see you leave, I enjoy our conversations.

I think we all enjoy the debates and these debates can be similer to any game, the opponent scores a point, even if it is cheep, we get a bit upset. If we score a point we cheer, if we get fouled we get upset, if we foul we get upset at ourselves. Even though emotions run high in sports, it is important to remember that it is just a game and not let ourselves get cought up in the moment.

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
Im not particulary angered by the actual content of the debates, im angered by various things in my own life, and in my angry state things provoke me a lot easier then they should. I lash out at people for no good reason and spoil the process of rational discussion, all because I haven't been vigilant with the anger when it started creeping up, really id rather just goof off in social chat and glean information from poi moves and be helpful where I can untill I sort things out.

I really don't want to renforce the first impression of being a jerk on this forum with continued behaviour.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
grouphug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
However, Burz will continue to be wrong for the duration.

::::::::::::::::flee

tongue

-Mike

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
:::::::::::::::: chases after Lighting with a wet noodle "I shant let you get away with this!"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
AAAUGH!! A WET NOODLE!!!

Neener neener neener! You can't catch me with your wet noodle!
Non-Https Image Link

-Mike

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
My gosh he went to the neeners... I cant believe the maturity level of this board

Well ubbloco phhhhhhthb --------:>{=} Throws a soaked spunge at Lighting

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
EWWWW!!!!! Must you use your spoo rag as a weapon?

WATERFIGHT!!!!!!

*throws a water baloon at Burz and ducks behind a wall*

-Mike

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
Tsk,tsk,tsk. This is supposed to be a serious *Ducks a balloon thrown by lightning.* Discusion! You should be ashamed of yourselves! wink ubbangel ubbloco

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
Please we are grown men, we are always serious...

Okay I need two holders for this water balloon launcher we'z goin Lightning hunting

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*nails VT with a water grenade* Oooh, and he's wearing a white T-shirt, too! ubbangel

Grown men? Where? Oh, you must mean Dom. ubblol

Hey, Burz...electricity and water don't mix! biggrin

-Mike

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Nods his head in approval... Oh well, if you can't beat, wear a raincoat...

PS...A tip I use a lot is to write the post I want to write in word or notepad first, spellcheck it, look for punctuation mistakes, then go and eat something.

When i come back, reread it again and usually then i can see the major problems with thepost, edit thema nd then copy it into the HoP reply.

It sounds long winded, but is perfect for slowing down the TYPENOWANDPOSTRAIGHTAWAY syndrome that tends to be how most inflammatory posts are posted...

*** Dodges a water bomb, holds his firestaff under the heat sensor and sets off the watersprinkler onto everyone! ***

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
so charles, when hoP is going through a lot of turmoil and you have to step into a lot of threads and make carefully woreded posts, how much weight do you gain?

smile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*runs after Charles and drags him under the sprinlker*

-Mike

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Robot Face, it's more of a matter of LOSING weight when things get stressful, not putting on weight! :-)

*** Turns off the sprinkler after getting doused by a maniacal Lightning ***

Hey, here's a blatant plug, how about continuing this watefight in my intro thread here, so others can put their 2c worth into this serious thread....

*** Runs off cackling into his [Old link] after dusting everyone with flour bombs (wet person plus flourbomb = sticky gooey mess ***

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
Thats so not right, trying to redirect a sucessful Highjacking... I just cant believe how wrong that is

.......... follows Charles to his thread like a sheep to warm green grass

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
[Any negativity in any of my posts is the fault of the Ganster Rap I listen to and my mother. I take no responsibility for my own actions.] wink

Good point, well said Dom.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*drills NYC square in the back of the head with a water bomb* ubbrollsmile

-Mike

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
respect to dom for starting this thread.

personally i normally cant be bothered with epic posts in some of the more serious threads - all to often people are talking but not listening. but im probably guilty of that sometimes as well...

when im getting too involved i just back off and say 'can we agree to disagree?.'

im busy enough at work that i stick to silly things in chat as a means to destress. if im getting emotionally involved - it simply drains me too much.

its fun to follow the rants though - just nice to see when poster can keep cool!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*aims at Dentrassi*

*fires*

HA-HA!!!

-Mike

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
well,

if some post gets me irritated, and i feel like replying in huge rant attacking someones obviously inferior oppinion wink wink wink

i recall this

*picture removed cause im an insensible bastard*

and think twice whether to reply or not.

sweaty hugs and sloppy kisses biggrin
EDITED_BY: the badger with a troubled past and nothing left to lose /Konsti (1085383223)

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Ouch! Bet you're going to get flamed for that! eek eek eek

* Patrick nails Lightning with a Cicada Quiche *

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
EWWWWW!!! CICADAS!!!!!!

*runs under the sprinkler and then runs and tackles Patrick*