Login/Join to Participate
Page:
colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
who are the criminals again?

angry

remember to send the petition letter (link at the bottom) if you care... grouphug

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Done!

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
46970 letters have now been sent biggrin

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

mira666member
9 posts

Posted:
GWB is an absolute fool for doing this, if he thought he was unpopular before then this isn't going to help him any

Mira frown frown frown

No problem is too big with enough high explosive

Hobbitboymember
33 posts

Posted:
bush is such a muppet!

Read the article earlier but forgot send the letter, cheers for the reminder!
biggrin

PippinBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
Why are they doing this and what is it going to achieve? It is unbelievable that they would waste time and resources on prosecuting greenpeace. Why?? confused
Go catch the true criminals.

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
*slaps head down on desk* *mutters something along the lines of GWB is a twat* .... have emailed friends smile and have sent letter biggrin ... i was going to put Oman (for those of you who dont know its where i grew up and still spend alot of time ... its also in the middle east) but then i probably get arrested for being a terrorist or something ubblol

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
Wait, why are they being considerd criminals? What law did they break? I don't understand what is going on... can someone put all that into english for me? confused

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
So can I take it this Mr Attorney General is engaging

T he
W ar
A gainst
T rees

?????????????????????

What a prick

He deserves shaking out of that job if this is the sort of mind frame he occupies. Then again, so do a lot of other politicians but heh, we can pick on this one till he's gone yeah?!

America, America, why do your leaders suck so much?
America, America, the world is not on lease
America, America, you won't get away with it
Why stop the good of Greenpeace?

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Greenpeace is a "Terrorist Organization."

Ladies and gentleman, the witchunt has begun!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
It is obvious that nobody has read the article, there is a "could" in there that you should all realise. It isnt set in motion it isnt predestined. So calm down and wait and see what happens before you jump off the cliff of conclusions.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
"Could" is the problem. Fact is that the administration is trying.

-Mike

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
I can jump off the Empire State Building and try to live, doesn't mean it will happen.

In a case like this you are going to need a jury, the governments case, if it even happens, will be dependent on people selected by both the prosicuters and the defence. There is no garunte that even if a case is built that anything will even happen.

You are all talking as if it is set in stone, it isn't. Relax or you'll get an ulcer! meditate

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
but it's that they're trying to do it that shows what a bunch of sucks they are. If they win it only gets worse, it's not like OK if they don't win. They'll just keep on trying. And if the people don't voice before it's gets to far down stream they'll be able to just do what they want.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
It's not set in stone and I don't think it will happen.

What's bothering me is that the administration would even try this! They wouldn't try if they didn't think they'd win.

-Mike

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

It isnt set in motion

no, it is very much in motion.

it also highlights the fact that the us are allowing illegally felled timber (in this case brazillian mahogany) to be imported and sold.

did you read the article all the way through?
the last two paragraphs sum up perfectly why we are not going to 'calm down and wait and see what happens before [we] jump off the cliff of conclusions':

"While Greenpeace sits in the dock in Miami, the loggers, shippers and traders of that illegal mahogany have cashed in and laughed at the law. Illegally logged wood is still going to the US and other countries around the world, the criminal underworld is still operating in the heart of the Amazon, those trying to protect the world's greatest rainforest are still operating under threat of death and sometimes dying, and countries like the US are still failing to live up to their promise under CITES to protect mahogany.

But this case is not just about Greenpeace and the Amazon. On trial is also the fundamental and cherished right to freedom of speech and civil disobedience. Many leaders and other advocacy groups in the US have recognised the great risk to civil liberties this prosecution presents and are supporting Greenpeace. They include former US Vice President Al Gore, the civil rights leader Julian Bond and the NAACP, the American Civil Liberties Union, the Sierra Club."

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I wrote a letter to US Gov condemning this a couple of months back via Greenpeace site. Wonder if I'll now be affiliated and declared a criminal biggrin

The land of the Free ubblol The land governed by an ignorant redneck megalonmaniac is more apt!

I usually don't believe in violence, but I'd shed no tears if Bush was assassinated instead of being an innate ass rolleyes

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Quote:

I usually don't believe in violence, but I'd shed no tears if Bush was assassinated instead of being an innate ass rolleyes

Ouch!

PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
[censored] greenpeace should take Bush to court!!!
It makes me sick... Indian wars,mexican border,korean conflict,vietnam,gulf war,ugoslavia,iraq, all those people dead all those parents and all those children...
it is not bush, it is the people behind him.It is the capital that is all gathered in U.S.
Please try to understand that all of you.USA is now the hyperpower that wants to eliminate everything that stands in the way,in the name of terrorism,in the name of many other things.DONT believe them...PLEASE They want the black gold, they want domination, they want all nations on their knees with policy or with war.Thats what they want.And believe me Greenpeace is just the beginning.You shall see what other things will happen in the name of terrorism.
I am very sorry for all of US civilians that cannot understand this.They are blind.All europe knows.It is not a matter of communism.I am not communist but I can see the truth and I can react.All of us can.

The only thing constant in life is change...

PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
You are BLIND.I will not try to explain to you because you are not going to understand.So keep dreaming and keep believing the "liberty and justice for all..."

PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
Dont forget the moral of iraq...People there are fighting for their country for their beliefs.Children are taking the guns,they all fight for their freedom,for their lives, for their beloved... they are not mercenary troops.Do not be surprised if US gets weaker if american soldiers are slaugtered.In war there are not rules.Greenpeace is just the beginning of "legal"war.You shall see what will happen next.I expect everything from greedy people...

stregAi*member
44 posts

Posted:
56928 letters have now been sent grouphug

I really hope this can help.

Thanks for the link, Cole. Hope you're doing well.
wave S*

"We're all mad here"

The adventures first! Explanations take such a dreadful time...

junipermember
6 posts

Posted:
And this is not the first time US have taken Greenpeace to court. And they are still going strong.
There will always be grass roots. So even if there is no US offices there is still the grass roots greenpeace activists. grouphug

Its all part of a campaign strategy, just think if Bush loses how much of a twat wll he look? ubbloco
think positive.

Remember Greenpeace won against Esso recently for using the logo for the Stop Esso campaign stuff. clap

they dont get rid of us that easy.

juniper

Juniper

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I find the following quote extremely disturbing because it has long term implications for the future.

Quote:

the first time in history that the US Government has prosecuted an advocacy group for a free-speech related activity.

Edit. It is very much is in action Greenpeace faces law of the ancient mariner but had to laugh when I read that Greenpeace call Bush the "Toxic Texan".
EDITED_BY: Stone (1084587928)

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
I just thought of this and yes it is in bad humor but it pretty much sums up my opinion of greenpeace... anyone ever see Armagedon? Where you see greenpeace floating around the Harry Stampers Oil Rig, on a huge clunker of a ship, that has got to be using just as much oil as the rig can pump an hour! Hypicritical in some ways, but their hearts are in the right place, I'll admit that.

Edit

Ohh and another thing, isnt it a felony to be a stowaway, boarding a ship or plane illeagly? Getting off with a $10,000 fine is well... getting off light I would say.

You all scoff at the fact that all of greenpeace is being ropped in with these few individual's (who have already been punished) who have commited crimes.

However when a soldier driving a 5 ton tank cant stop when a little Korean girl runs out infront of it, bloody murder is cried out against the entire US Military and you all think it is just.

Is this not a bit like the pot calling the kettle black?

Yes my examples are on two totally differnt ends of the spectrum, but they were used to show a relation in the hypocracy that is this topic.
EDITED_BY: Burzaruka (1084605146)

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Burzaruka, I think your examples are inappropriate considering the recent torture atrocities performed by the US Military. Perhaps u might have a different attitude if a tank ran over your sister. Are u suggesting that it's ok to run over Koreans because they aren't Americans?

In another thread you asked - How do we feed the world? Well, you wont solve that problem by chopping down all the rainforests that are the "lungs" of the world. Greenpeace is fighting to save the world. Bush et al are doing their best to exploit and destroy the world.

The action taken by Bush against Greenpeace also sets a precedent, and challenges your right to freedom of speech.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

you see greenpeace floating around the Harry Stampers Oil Rig, on a huge clunker of a ship, that has got to be using just as much oil as the rig can pump an hour!

ubblol how big is that boat?!!??

to use that much oil it'd have to be the size of your ignorance wink

Quote:

they were used to show a relation in the hypocracy that is this topic.

hypocracy?

the larger crime in this topic is deforestation and the sale of illegal timber in the us.
you are completely ignoring this for some reason.

i apologise if i am being ignorant also but what exactly is your point?

do you agree with greenpeace being prosecuted while the illegal timber they tried to stop entering the country keeps on rolling in?

heres an analogy for you:

a person is part of a neighbourhood watch scheme.
one day they see a drug dealer bringing a kilo of crack into their neighbourhood and manage to take the initiative and jump the dealer and knock them out until the police arrive.
that person is then prosecuted for assault and the neighbourhood watch programme is disbanded and labelled illegal as a result.
meanwhile the dealer is released and allowed to continue doing what they were before.
sound fair?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Well put cole :thumbsup:

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
props to cole,
smile juggle

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
Yes it is okay to run over Koreans with tanks because they arnt American, of course. Dont they teach you people anything?

What in the world made you think that I thought it was okay to run over someone with a tank? My goodness, I may not be PC or SC but am not an animal! I am hurt that someone would even think that it is okay to run someone over with a tank or any other moving object and the think that someone would justify it because they wernt American! You are disgusting.

The reason the topic was brought up, for those like Stone who obviusly missed it, was to get you (being anyone) to ask yourself, should the whole group be held accountable for the actions of a few of its members?

I am not emplicating that it is right to chop down the rainforest. If these LJs had a brain they would treat trees as a famer treats his crops, with love and attention. Though in the defence of lagitamate LJs around the world, the world needs lumber. End of story. It is still used to heat homes, build houses, in art and many other miscilanious items.

Also, the world has many problems, what if they cant all be solved at once, where do you place your priorities? Do you work on preventing green house emmitions? Illeagle logging? Alternative fuels? Oil drilling? Endangerd species? Stopping the dophins from getting cought in the tuna nets, while leaving the poor helpless tuna to die a horrible death?

Coleman, it was a movie, the boat really doesnt matter.

No what Bush and his conspirators are doing is BS we all know that. Greenpeace has peed in his pool too many times and he is going after them using all things able including an abscure law that really has little relivence today.

Personally I find it hypocritical to blame the whole of one oganisation for the crimes of a few and then cry unfair when the exact same is done to an organisation that you may belong to or know someone who does. That is the hypocracy of this topic on this web site.

The examples given were chosen because of their popularity in the news. Is all the US military and UK military wrong because of the assault and torture that some members gave to the prisoners in their chrage? If so, then isnt all of greenpeace a criminal because of the crimes (however minute or retarded) of some of their members?

You cant have yes for one and no for the other. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Your analogy is so far fetched it doesnt even merrit thought. The crime watch wouldnt get banned because in order to set one up you need the cities approval, it just wouldnt happen. Though to appease the masses...

Is it fair that the drug dealer was assaulted? Did the people of the neighborhood act responsibly? If you can answer yes to both of these questions, then yes it is fair the the crime watch got disbanded. In this case, the negitive actions of the neighbors caused karma to kick in and have a negitive responce.

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Burz, the wood that was brought in was from an endangered tree, and a hard wood, I believe...mahogony.

Yes, the world needs lumber, but the world does NOT need hardwood lumber.

There are pine tree farms throughout parts of the US and Canada that provide lumber.

The hardwood stuff brought in is more of a luxury item.

Leave the rainforests alone, and use the farm raised timber....

I really wish the US would expand the tree "farm" concept, to be honest, and leave old growth forests alone....but then...I'm naive that way.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

Page: