Page:
ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I have started this thread to explain a few things as to why I reacted the way that I did in the fire mistake thread and the drunk spinners thread... prehaps there are a few things that I want to let the people who took offence to what I was saying should know.

in my honest opinion you cant take safety too seriously.

I have seen KIDS burnt, clothes sticking to people, blood spurting from their faces, someone knock a tooth out, broken ankles from staffs, third degree burns and quite frankly I speak from experience.

But im also not going to cop any more [censored] for voicing the safety aspect of fire.

I apologised earlier in those threads for being agressive, and as I explained there was a reason behind it due to the fact that I copped a whhhooolllleee load of abuse from a member for expressing my opinion. (which btw I dont do very often, but by god when I do it, I will be passionate about it because I feel strongly about it)

a few weeks ago I got threatened with a lawsuit when I was administering first aid to a 8 year old child who had been burnt by a staff that a twirler had flung into the crowd. This was a MISTAKE. The twirler slunk off into the darkness and I copped abuse such as "[censored] firetwirlers the most dangerous bloody thing I have ever seen, wheres the [censored] safety? Ive been a firetwirler for five [censored] years and all these people just walking in and twirling and being [censored] proud of their stupid behaviour, I ought to sue your ass "

I was so taken aback because this is a mentality that I have been coming across a lot lately, yet when I say stuff about safety at burleigh and other circles I get met with a non commital "yeah" and whispers about safety nazi... eek

burleigh is now going to be policed with the view to being shut down due to drinking and dangerous practises there. The safe twirlers (and there are quite a few at the coast) are now loosing the one big meet at the coast that we had.

Not only that but we are also going to be constantly scrutinised at thepark we twirl at by ourselves by the cops cause all twirlers have a bad name according to the council now.

thats why I push safety. we have lost our freedom as twirlers here at the coast. we have lost the respect of the police and also the public because of a few twirlers who are not safety concious and have ruined it for all of us...

Yeah I overreacted in the other thread. I have apologised. But for one moment focus on this happening in YOUR area. Being shut down and having the cops called everytime that you tryed to express your creative art through fire. ho hum.

no Im not getting off my high horse.Im not preaching at you. Its up to you if you take it on board. ...quite frankly I dont care anymore.

Now Im not saying that ALL firetwirlers have a bad name. A whole heap of you are safe and take all this stuff into consideration...........yay for you thats ultra cool... biggrin

it's started here, and Im really aware of it in other places now cause I tried to get safety at burleigh for soooo long yet was always told where to go by other twirlers...thats why I get fired up about it, I cant go to the park now and spin cause of the actions of other twirlers... we need to try to keep our freedom through responsability

EDITED_BY: Valura (1080769411)

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Shu i'm the same. mine are magpies and frogs biggrin

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Fire_Freak_Burnernewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Working with a friend’s fire troupe we got to the point that everything had to be examined with a fine tooth comb. We realized how lucky the fire community had been at avoiding lawsuits. It is only time before something happens that is going to make it difficult for us to enjoy doing what we love. We had to look into all performers being insured and even considered incorporating the troupe to cover ourselves. We also realized that if we performed when we were not sober nothing would protect us. I found this link that has some good guidelines to work from. What you think?

https://fire.trickconcepts.com/safety.htm

~F

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Wet towels for toys (used frequently)

Fire blankets for people (always one with you when spinning, but hopefully never used at all)

Bucket of water for immediately dowsing burned fingers

Extinguisher for things that might accidentally catch ( liek when someone watching you drops their fag in dry grass...)

Metal bucket to put dipping jar in

Spin off jars to prevent fuel spray from poi

Haven't come up with the perfect answer for staff spray apart from the RAR big throw burn thing....

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fire_Freak_Burner

Working with a friend’s fire troupe we got to the point that everything had to be examined with a fine tooth comb. We realized how lucky the fire community had been at avoiding lawsuits. It is only time before something happens that is going to make it difficult for us to enjoy doing what we love. We had to look into all performers being insured and even considered incorporating the troupe to cover ourselves. We also realized that if we performed when we were not sober nothing would protect us. I found this link that has some good guidelines to work from. What you think?

https://fire.trickconcepts.com/safety.htm

~F

Judging by the spamming of the rest of the board with this addy, I'm guessing you didn't just find that site, but rather it is your own business and that you have posted here to try and Poach Malcolms customers.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Skulduggery

Judging by the spamming of the rest of the board with this addy, I'm guessing you didn't just find that site, but rather it is your own business and that you have posted here to try and Poach Malcolms customers.

I checked every post made thus far by Fire_freak_burner and got I think 3 that didn't have the link embedded in them...

More on topic...

Firstly, I've just joined this thread and read through the whole thing, and there are a couple of things I'd like to comment on:

Firstly, the idea for having to license all fire spinners I think would be a bad one - by doing so, the hobby begins to 'close up' to new spinners - would I have gotten involved with poi if there had been licensing and legal bits left right and centre? I might have spun some non-fire for a while, but I don't think I'd have continued if there didn't seem to be much of a progression. Glow poi are great, make no mistake, but they lack a certain roar that fire has smile

Also, the idea of licensing would go further against being able to go down to the park and spin, as desired in Valura's original post. I assume you'd have to bring your license, get it checked by the police or someone, and then go and spin. On that note, I think that it would be very difficult to enforce such a license: people would be spinning a lot anyway and who is to stop them? To be frank, I'd rather have the police chasing car thieves and rapists than people spinning fire without a license.

Although admittedly, a credit-card sized "Firespinning License" could be made to look mighty cool in your wallet biggrin

Secondly, I do feel that there are such a thing as "safety facists" but I certainly do not think that Valura is one. My idea of reasonable precautions include a medium-sized damp towel, a safety, using paraffin and having a fire blanket (the latter I only bring to places I spin - I have a large - LARGE - pond in my garden and I spin next to it, so if I am yelled at for being on fire all I need to do is fall over biggrin). A fire extinguisher is more optional in my opinion, but thats living in Britain where the likelihood of setting the dewy, damp grass on fire is next to nothing. In general, if I drop my fire kit, the fire kit goes out on the grass as opposed to the grass setting fire.

Finally, the use of drink and drugs while spinning. I agree entirely: don't. Ever.

Oh, and paraffin: if you ever need a good demonstration as to why paraffin in safe, put a little puddle of it on your patio or something and get the safety sceptic to light it. I tried this to get rid of a spillage (stupid I know redface, but I was younger then...) and it just does not light. If you DO get a bit lit, it just goes out. Obviously, I wouldn't recommend this with a fuel container or a deep puddle of fuel rolleyes

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TotalEclipse

Written by: Skulduggery

I checked every post made thus far by Fire_freak_burner and got I think 3 that didn't have the link embedded in them...

I think those 3 were edited by a mod....

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
ace thread glad it's still getting bumped.

I've had some funny looks over just being mildly cautious, and an otherwise always really chilled party ruined by a couple of drunken idiots with firecrackers just NOT getting that most there did NOT find it funny AT ALL.

If you want to play with fire/fireworks you MUST think seriously about all safety aspects for yourself, and more importantly anyone would could conceivably be anywhere around you, after all you're the one that CHOSE the risk.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I'm used to getting the occaisional "fire nazi" comments when I ask people who are about to light up if they will have safety equipment with them (unfortunatly they tend to be people I dont see offline, so I have to take their word)

At camps Ive yelled at people who have picked up sticks out of the fire and started waving them around, as well as going off about other normal fire safety issues. I get called a fire nazi occasionly, but isnt it worth it if we can get people to realise how easily things can go wrong?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Hanz

I'm used to getting the occaisional "fire nazi" comments when I ask people who are about to light up if they will have safety equipment with them (unfortunatly they tend to be people I dont see offline, so I have to take their word)

At camps Ive yelled at people who have picked up sticks out of the fire and started waving them around, as well as going off about other normal fire safety issues. I get called a fire nazi occasionly, but isnt it worth it if we can get people to realise how easily things can go wrong?

Do people actually use the phrase 'fire nazi' to your face?

I would be most amused if I heard anyone use that phrase in real life- it says far more about them than about the person it's directed at.

Reflecting on this thread i realise that I've encountered quite a few spinners whose grasp of safety was non-existent (eg, a guy who wandered into the middle of a group before commencing a spin with his home made 'sparkly poi' and spattering molten metal all around).

On the whole, the majority of spinners I've encountered are generally well meaning, but at least mildy deficient in terms of safety (eg no safety equipment or safety equipment tucked away in a dark corner, or someones bag).

What I have never encountered and don't really expect to enocounter in the future, is a spinner who could be said to be over-doing safety.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Dave: yep! but not generally not spinnes, they tend to be the morons who decide to flail around burning sticks, yet to have a spinner call me a fire nazi as the group I know are good

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
clap that's a pretty good list there gabe! biggrin

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

Page: