DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ok, well I was making myself a set of doubles but thought I had more wick than I did (I thought I had 6 foot of wick - I forgot I used that on my single....anyway)

Working with what I've got I've basically got to choices.

1) I cut the wick lengthways- I can still have a deep wick, wrapped around about 4 times but it'll be quite a thin (4cm!)

2)I leave it thick (8cm) but only wrap it round twice...

Which would be best? My thoughts were that deeper would give longer burn time, whereas a wider wick would give brighter flame?

Is this right or will they sort of balance out?

I don't want to but anymore wick as I'm on a big saving spree at the moment, so that isn't an option... Although I have got some straggly bits off my UV staff which have never been burnt but have been painted in UV orange paint....)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I think they'll balance out, so don't cut it lengthwase, you'll mess up the weave of the kevlar and it will fall apart,plus it's too much cutting. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Don't cut the wick lengthwise. It'll fray terribly. A 4-cm thick wrap will be adequate.

I haven't done rigorous testing, but my guess is that wide-shallow will give you a shorter burn (no idea how much shorter). That would really depend on the relative surface area/volume ratios of the two options.

But in this case, I think you've only got one option.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ok, cool - never thought about the fravying issue thanks smile

Another thought I had - Could I beef the wick up with some toweling wick underneath the Kevlar? Or would this only last a few burns before disintergrating?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
towel dont last that long on fire but if you can manage to completely cover it over with the kevlar it should act only as a fuel absorber and not burn. Dunno how youd do this with staff, I ve only done it with some poi but you could have a narrower piece of towel wrapped round the stick then wrap a wider piece of kevlar over it and close up each end with that garden wire stuff - that'd probly seal it in. wave

progger

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Could I beef the wick up with some toweling wick underneath the Kevlar? Or would this only last a few burns before disintergrating?

I haven't done it myself, but as long as the toweling is completely covered, you should be good. Kevlar is a pretty amazing insulator: if you ever cut apart a set of well-used wicks, you'll see that only the outer quarter-inch or so is charred.

I think it's worth a shot--just remember, if the towel is exposed, it'll burn, and you don't want that. What might work best would be to cut long strips of towel a bit narrower and shorter than the kevlar strips, and roll a towel strip together with a kevlar strip, so you wind up with alternating layers. Just a thought--you should play around with it.
EDITED_BY: adamrice (1078933949)

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ah - sort of like a plaster? With the towelling strip down the middle?

Cunning - I like it!
biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi