Forums > Social Chat > *spyware*... people using audiogalaxy/kazaa/morpheus

Login/Join to Participate

tau neutrinoPLATINUM Member
35 posts

Posted:
i saw the earlier thread on file sharing progams and i think spyware deserves a new thread. hey i know that lots of people here use file sharing programs. The fact is lots of these come with spy ware. i suggest that everyone go to www.lavasoftusa.com and download adaware and run it on their machine... you will be amazed at the number of spyware on your machine. its scary sometimes.... and if you are so inclined to download adaware...also down load the latest signature/registry file into your adaware directory. peace out. it would be cool to hear from people about what spyware everyone found on their machines. we have shared the type of music we listen to and clothes we wear.. why not what spyware lurks in your harddrive...big brother is watching.[This message has been edited by ikarus (edited 26 January 2002).]

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
125 components found....EEK....Thanks man

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Spin Doctormember
34 posts

Posted:
Cheers man! I didn't realise I had so much gator.com crap and everything on my computer, why do companies think they can get away by doing crap like this???CheersStu

Imagine something witty or profound was here.

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Well no shit... 37 components foundWhat a beautiful program Many humble thanks N8.

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
right on... no more pop ups for me..thanks!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
heh heh, wouldn't it be funny if Adaware installed its own spyware software! grin

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
101 for me - mostly Gator which is freaky because I un-installed it as soon as I got it...Cheers Ikarus.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I got 4. Security conscious paranoid freak that I am grin

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

35 posts

Posted:
i had to bump this ....

Read thsi first ....
https://news.com.com/2100-1023-873181.html

PLease please go get adaware.5.71 from www.lavasoftusa.com and clean out spyware.
i just got 250! componenets becuse my brother installed kazaa.
I have also found a kazaa on line w/o the spyware... its called kazaa lite....look for it people.

and by the way post how many spyware componenets you found...

Traceredmember
71 posts

Posted:
Shit. Thanks for the info man. I found 94 components!

I expected some since I run Kazaa, but I have no idea where all the gator shit came from. Thanks again.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind - Mahatma Gandhi

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
53, cheers for that

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
I had 24. I don't really get it. These are programs that were secretly installed onto my hard drive? and by using the program i get rid of them? Does this free up space on my hard drive? I often should i scan my hard drive?

hmm seems like its helpful.. but i don't understand

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

35 posts

Posted:
Well alot of file sharing programs come with spyware attached. And even that annoying thing you see on web pages that scream "Click me to have a friendly BONZi bubby on your computer" they are all spy ware. Most of them invade your privacy. ie they report back to their masters on where you surf and what you look at on the web. somne of them are ad programs. Ever notice when you are just surfing the web, ads pop up for no reason? thats spyware sometimes too. They look at what website you are at and they pull up an ad that matches your demographic.

*but* the most dangerous ones are like the new ones from the likes of kazaa. I know this sounds science fiction. But these programs give the compnay that wrote it *!remote* control over your computer. ie when you are not using the computer it will activate and do the program writers bidding. the compnay now wants to use it to serve ads to other computers, ie the ads will be saved opn your hard disk and sent out to others, and to also use your unused CPU time to do other peoples work. *ALL KAZAA* users have this program installed. pretty soon your computer will be working for someone else to.

And yes Welcome matt, they do take up space. not a whole lot of space. but space nontheless. every now and then is a good idea to check your computer.

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
if you're really concerned about spyware like me then try blubster.com for a music sharing system that is completly spy free.

HAPPY DAYS!

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Found 194 files on my brother's computer! Thanks for the tip.

Fear the evil monkey!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
37. appreciate the tip!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Teinemember
74 posts

Posted:
as paranoid as i am, i still had two.
(grr...and i'm not running any of the progs mentioned...i'm running Direct Connect.)
oddly enough, both spyware bits found came from microsoft. i'm suprised. really. i am. honest. i just talk in monotone ALL the time.
*grrs at software companies that have gotten too big for their britches*

life begins between the night and the light.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
287... do I get a prize???

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men