Forums > Technical Discussion > Brainstorm : Steel Bracelet Poi handles?

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey All!I have a problem...I want to get a steel bracelet big enough for my large (manly wink) hands to fit through, with a circular cross section wide enough that I'll be able to use them as poi handles.Recently, I've been twirling a bit using single loops, but instead of holding them with my hands, I've been just letting them rotate around my wrists...this alows for some very interesting arm movements, and seems to require some practice.However it does my arms (and my handles) no good - so I was trying to think of an alternative. - a Steel bracelet, with a loop attached to it should be able to do the job nicely...But I cant find anything like it!Can anyone help?Josh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ok I found something..but its way over the top expensive for my purposes (which will only grind it down anyhow)https://www.wle.com//products/td152dc.htmlJosh

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Josh are you thinking something like a stainless steel bracelet? Why don't you approach a jewelery maker/blacksmith to see if they can make a custom one for you...Alternatively, try a harware/tap shop. You might find something useful from shower/door handle supply shops taht would work.Could you weld a link on to allow the attachment of chains etc? I don't know a lot a bout the strength of welded joints - perhaps someone else could give advice on that...ade

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
we all know how tough and masculine you are Josh, but your hands aren't *that* big!!!how would you avoid the bracelet slipping around your wrist?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I want it to slip around my wrist smilethink of it like this; two little hullahoops going round my arms, with poi coming off smileA lot like the skipit thingo that Pele mentioned ages ago...but the weight isnt attached too a point on the hoop, it just slips around the hoop...Josh

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
Josh, check this photo and look carefully at her hands:https://64.87.7.217/display2.php?image=Aflaminglabrynth.jpgIs this thie kind of thing you're after?------------------"We are all of us in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars."

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
What about handcuffs? You could split them in half (by breaking the chain) and wear them on the loosest setting. They would already have a hole for attaching a chain, so you could either put your chain through the hole, or attach it to the existing chain.Wouldn't be a perfect circle though...They shouldn't hurt too much either, as they're designed for being worn around the wrist.Hope this helps,FP xxxPS: I just re-read your post, and I see you wanted the chain to slip round - like a little ring on a big ring? How would it slip without getting stuck between the big ring and your wrist? Hmmm...[This message has been edited by Fire Princess (edited 03 October 2001).]

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Find a leather-crafting shop with saddle-making hardware. I am pretty sure you'll be able to find a ring of about 10 cm there. That's probably your easiest and cheapest option. If that doesn't work...McMaster Carr has everything.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Okies;I'll check the saddle shop smileHandcuffs would be ok - but I think they might hurt after a while? sure, they are designed to be worn, but they are designed to restrain...ie they are designed to hurt like hell if you try to pull em off smile)have a look at the rings I posted a link to - they are exactly like what I want, but at $32US each - I think its too much...Josh

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey josh, ever seen that cheesy old magic trick where the person joins two rings together magically, except one has a small cut in it. those are pretty large and i am sure that small cut could be easily welded. not sure of the cost though. might want to check out some magic shops.

anyone got a light?

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
hey josh.Try a craft or haberdashery store. There's one here called Spotlight, which I think is in Oz too......it has all sorts of tacky craft supplies, but the last time I went, it also had metal rings of varying sizes. They were a quite bit thinner than the ones in your picture, but you could probably pad them out a bit. Also check out embroidery hoops, they might work. Other ideas......what about a toyshop or baby supplies shop......maybe there's some kind of big plastic teething ring? Or.......a friend of a friend once received fluffy handcuffs covered in soft fake fur for christmas......perhaps you should take a trip to your local dodgy adult store? ;-) Or those big wooden rings people hang curtains from? Those would probably be too small but maybe there's some kind of jumbo kind.....heh, you never know. Also check out cheap and tacky jewellery stores for ankle bracelets.....these will be bigger than arm ones and might just fit your 'manly hands' grinxaeda

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
bump for awesome idea

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus