Forums > Technical Discussion > Glow sticks (i'm all about the CYALUME)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
For those of you who are like me and enjoy spinning glowsticks, I would recomend CYALUME brand lightsticks. They have a cylinder shape not a hexagon shape like walmart camping sticks. Those thing are so annoying to spin. They just whistle and whistle, Drive me crazy. CYALUME lightsticks are easy to set up to, just a snip of the little hook and a slide onto your strings and you're set. Just thought I'd put my $00.2 in.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Cyalume certainly seem to be some of the best stix out there and after hunting around for a few weeks, I finally managed to find a shop near me that sells them....but at £2.85 EACH!!! frownDoes anyone know of anywhere in the UK that sells them cheaper or somewhere where I can get them mailorder?At the mo I'm just using a few of the teeny wee fishing stix/bulbs (1-2") taped to my practice poi. Looks OK but I'd really like to try some of the biggies without having to sell all my worldly possesions to cover a good spin session.In hopeNoods smile

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
Well, i did a quick Google, and here's some of the hits:https://www.lightsticks.freeserve.co.uk/Ordrprce.htmhttps://www.omniglow.co.uk/pages/framesets/safety_emergency_fr.htmhttps://www.esecure.co.uk/penrithsurvival/topmenu_brands.asphttps://www.adecmarine.co.uk/html/misc_safety.htmlnone more than 2 quid.Also, i get sticks from www.glowstick.co.uk. I don't know if they're actually Cyalume brand, but they're round profile rather than hex, they last overnight easily, and come in at a quid a throw or just over, depending on how big the order is.No idea how reliable the others are, but www.glowstick.co.uk has delivered promptly every time.mikeyB

knasmember
7 posts

Posted:
Maybe youve heard it all before but if you want to use yer glowsticks longer just hurl em in your freezer. That freezes the glowing process. Lets say that youve used a 12h glowstick for about two hours, you put them in the freezer. Thaw em up the next day and you have 10h left on them... You can do that until youve used them for the total glowtime.That way U can save alotta money // KNAS[This message has been edited by knas (edited 03 June 2001).]

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
I'm thinking of ordering a bunch through glowstickfactory.com... any thoughts on color? I actually haven't seen every color that they list. I know that red is a bit dim and blue seemed nice and bright.Also, last month's poll was about the length of glowsticks... does anyone who has twirled with a different length (other than the traditional 6") want to give some feedback?

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
mrmo--if you're ordering a bunch, then get a bunch of different colors. They're all fun, especially in combinations.I've got a mess of the 4"ers. I like 6" better, but with 4", you can perhaps squeeze more onto the ends of your chains.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I prefer blue and yellow. Blue because it leaves longer trails and yellow because they're so damn bright. adamrice had it right though, they are all fun. Props to the glow stick ninjas. Eric------------------If you don't want to be an addict, don't ever start spinning.

170 posts

Posted:
mikeyb - big thank you! Piggy-bank raid coming up....Noods smile

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
blue and yellow are cool. blue i find tend to dim faster, same as red and purple. green and orange look pretty cool. so do pink and turquois if you have them as a choice. two different colors look very cool so get a variety of them. i also prefer 6" but if you can get like three different color 4" on the end of your string i imagine would look sweet. (note to self, try this sometime soon). happy twirling . PLUR------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Mikey BTry https://www.clubbertoys.com/they
are really cheap cause you don't pay P&Ppeace outgarbo tongue------------------
quote:
"Be the change"Mahatma Ghandi

be excellent to each other: safe:

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
What you say about glowstix make me want to try it big time cuz fire ain't always the easiest option. do you know where I could watch a video that shows spinning with glowstix ? I'd love to see that !Question is : how do you attach them to your chains ? what is the usual amount of stix / chain ? thanks in advanceshine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
So if you take a fresh glowstick and put it in a warm place (eg bowl of hot water) until it heats up and THEN crack it will it be Super Bright?Axis.

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
Cassandra,I love to work with fire, but you're right, there are times when glowsticks make a nice alternative - particularly times when you want to do something visual in the dark but you haven't got a spotter / extinguisher available. Or of course when you're drunk enough to really want a spin, which is too drunk to mess with fire ;-). Basically: fire = awesome and magical, but glowsticks = pretty good, and a lot safer.what I do for attachment is: I use glowsticks with a hook and hole on them, and the cables for a set of FyreFly poi, which have a sort of safety-pin thing to attach the heads - so, un-clip the heads and thread glowsticks on to the clips. Chain can be a bit of a problem anyway as it's pretty much guaranteed to be heavier than the sticks - cable's lighter. Still, sticks are light so you could just tie them on firmly with string.One stick is plenty, but I've got some very nice photos when I've really pushed the boat out and put three different colours on to each cable. Mind you, even at good prices that comes to 6 pounds a twirl (but remember knas's point about putting part-used sticks in the freezer - it works a treat)mikeyB

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Axis, yes when you put them in hot water they glow brighter, but they also don't last as long, Ever wonder why, when you spin in summer, you're sticks are brighter, it's the heat, and when its winter they don't glow as bright but they last way longer then they're suppose to. This is why when you freeze them they will make it through to the next day and still be glowing. I've tested glowsticks in bordom and cold=dim long lasting light and heat=bright short term light. I wonder what an ultra high intensity light that last five minuts would look like if you boiled it. WOW, I bet it would be seen from the moon, for the whole two minuts it was lit. I just wanted to let you know there was a down side to a brighter glowstick.------------------If you don't want to be an addict, don't ever start spinning.

170 posts

Posted:
mikeybThose guys deliver FAST!!! Buried in glowsticks and grinning like a loon grinNoods

Kyromember
24 posts

Posted:
I highly recommend saving lots of money (and the environment) and investing in a few of these Krill lights. The link below offers the lowest price around, trust me, I did extensive research. They even beat prices on Ebay.

https://www.backcountry-equipment.com/accessrs/a-hd_lmp/krill.html

Shipping is free in US and they're extremely durable and waterproof. Simply read the website and you'll find out all about them. A large group of us went in on some so we were given a fantastic discount. I'll be using them to spin at Burning Man this year, when I'm not in the burn area.

From the most primitive cultures to the most advanced civilizations,man has had to manufacture things;his well-being depends on his success at production.The lowest human tribe cannot survive without that alleged source of pollution: fire. Ayn Rand

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Err, Poly, while I certainly endorse your environmental/economical-mindedness, there's been a lot of talk about krill lights on these boards (you might want to click on "search" above and look up "krill"). Long story short, they break when they smack into things (like each other). The battery bounces around inside and breaks the internal components. I haven't used them myself, but a friend has, and I've seen him break at least two.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Kyromember
24 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the heads up on reading through the old posts. I haven't had any problems with the Krill's. It is probably an individual experience, 'cause of our own unique styles of spinning. My preferrence is fire, but the Krills provide me the freedom to enjoy playing at night for hours on end. There was good advice in several of the posts, I won't go into - way off topic for this section. Your input was appreciated.

Kryo

From the most primitive cultures to the most advanced civilizations,man has had to manufacture things;his well-being depends on his success at production.The lowest human tribe cannot survive without that alleged source of pollution: fire. Ayn Rand

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
While we're chatting up glowsticks. Does anyone know if there are any sites HALF as cool as this one that show/give lessons on Liquid (dancing while holding glowsticks.) I KNOW this isn't a HOP issue which is why I'm asking for links... Mad love to the fire gods and goddesses...
Non-Https Image Link

Hapes-Novamember
60 posts

Posted:
first of all, i just have to correct you on something. liquid isnt a synonym for glowstick dancing. some aspects of liquid are a lot of times done with glowsticks, but you cant use them interchangeably like that. there are a lot of other things that are done in glowstick dancing besides just liquid, and there are ALOT of things that are done with liquid dancing that could never be done with glowsticks. just make sure you get all your terminology correct smileanyways, i assume your talking about glowstick dancing in your request. unfortunately, there arent really too many sites for glowsticking out there. https://members.tripod.com/asianpryde714/index.htm
used to be just about the only site, but now its down. it was a decent site for beginners, while it lasted anyway. it might come back up, or it might be up on a different address or something though.https://www.drunknmunky.com/bro_default.htm has a video of glowsticking available for order, i dunno if its instructional or not though, i've only seen a small demo video clip of it that they have on the site. it didnt look like it was instructional, but i dunno. you could probably get some ideas from it.https://www.mze.com/dance/dragon_www.shaddupanddance.com.mpgis a short video of some guy doing glowsticks, but just keep in mind that theres a lot more you can do than just what this guy does. actually, it looks like he's only doing like 1 or 2 moves over and over again.www.iloveraving.com supposedly has a lot of videos too, but i cant find them anywhere. you might need to be a member or something though. the message boards there are probably going to be helpful too.well, whatever. maybe that will help you some.-Hapes-Nova, glowstick and liquid dancer

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Thanks Hapes-Nova, I did know there was a difference but never really thought about the terminolgy, good tip. As for the links, they seem to be the dead ends that I keep running into as well. Perhaps a video would be cool but I'm just surprised there isn't more on it out there... This may explain why the ravers tend to camp out here. Anyone else know links?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Another alternative is Photon lights (https://www.photonlights.com).These tiny buggers are mega-bright and super-durable. I've seen them on E-bay for as low as $9 each, and they have quite a long battery life. String a few of them together in a row or in clumps and then let 'em twirl!!Also, I enjoy taking out my 15" Ultra-High Intensity sticks and spinning them around. They definitely light up the crowd in an instant...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey,Like Garbo, I vouch for www.clubbertoys.com, very cheap and also free and quick delivery which is well nice

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
Hey!Check out this link, it has some deals with glowsticks, and they're the Cyalume type too!https://www.circuittoys.com/Sorry I couldn't get the link thingy to work.Back to the colors. My definite faves are green and blue, green being one of the brightest and blue for leaving really cool trails, although it seems to dim after a while. Yellow I'm not really big on cause when it dims, I find that its color becomes disgusting. Orange and red are cool too. My orange ones for some reason had a shade of green in them, so when I spun them it looked like I was twirling two different colors. Mad cool. Try white sometime too, they're pretty neat.And with the heating up the glowstick thing, that sounds cool, I'm gonna go try it.Oh, for those who want to know how to attach them. Try to find the hooks that are used on keychains. I have those on my shoestrings and they seem to work really well. Ordinary key rings also seem to work, but stink when you want to pull your sticks off to rave cause your gotta thread them off and stuff.Cool post people. Keep it up.Q

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Hey Q, LOL, you brought my post back from the dead. Blue would be the best for trails, and red the worst. Red is a very hard color for the eye to see, especially if they are older glows. For you to see the red like you'd see any regular intensity yellow or orange or any other color they'd have to be High intensity glows.(know this from experimentation) Red just sux. I bet if you got a novelty(6-8hrs) red glowstick and cracked it, you wouldn't even know it was glowing. If you got an industrial(8-12hrs) red glowstick it would glow like a novelty color. Red is one step down from every other glowstick. Meaning if they made ultra high red glowsticks, they would glow how a high intenstity glowstick glows, if you get an industrial red, it'll glow like a novelty glowstick glows and if you get a novelty red, it's a dud. Spin whatever you want but after a lot of glowsticks, at the price they cost, you'll start chosing anything but red.LOL, Id spin a transparent glowstick before I spun a red one.Eric

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
I bought a batch of glowsticks from glowstickfactory.com and they ALL seemed to die within 4 hours. The SAME exact ones that I always use. In fact, I strapped two on each of my strings and the ones that I got from them died right as the headline DJ came on while the other two I got locally lasted all night. I ordered a large mixture of colors and not one lasted more than 6 hours. Maybe it was just a bum batch but I thought I'd post anyway. Anyone have similar/different expereince with them?

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
You got Novalty glowsticks. Always make sure they either tell you how long they last or what kind they are.(novalty(6-8hrs), industrial8-12hrs), high intensity(30 min), or ultra high intensity(5 min)) I ordered mine from eparty unlimited because they state what kind they are. I'm always shy away from other places that don't tell you. The only problem I had with mine was I had to cut and poke holes for my strings cause the little hole they had wasn't strong enough to withstand wraps. I'm in the process of finding a site that sells round glowsticks with hook and hole, that last 12 hours. The Cyalume site has them, I can't remember what, but something was weird about it.Eric

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
Good call Myst!Yeah, the type of glowstick is definitely a factor in your spinning. I only spin industrial glowsticks, those that last 8-12 hours guaranteed. I'm quite happy with them, except for red and yellow. Usually my white, green, blue, and orange ones will go longer than 12 hours, but of course will lose intensity over time. I only buy from circuittoys.com cause it's one of the most cost effective ways for me to purchase them. Haven't had a problem with the holes though.I've seen other crazy colors advertised for sale on other sites, such as turquoise/aqua, purple, pink, etc. Any word on what those are like?Q

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
You are absolutely right. The novelty glowsticks I got were $0.80 each at glowstickfactory. Next time I'll spring for the extra $0.20 each to get industrial. Or perhaps a mix of both since I seem to give em' all away anyway. Thanks all.

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
you know what would be really sweet... If we could by quality omniglow cyalume glowsticks off the shop portion of this site. i know that type of stick costs a little more but they are so quality. The only problem might be shipping for the kids in Europe and the USmy $.02 ------------------bring light into the night

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

tricky56member
23 posts

Posted:
ok, the only way to go with glowticks is qhite. they are so beautiful. They start off a bright white, and slowly dim to a light purpleish blue. Or if you're like my friend david they sometimes dim to green and have extra long tracers which swirl

Page: