Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > hyperloop - the basic 4-beat

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
at nyc's request this is my attempt at explaining how to do the most basic of the hyperloops. if anyone can do better (and i'm *sure* you can) please do - the more descriptions, the better.

okay, we start with the trusty old three beat weave.
we are going to put in a hyperloop when the poi are on your right hand side (rhs) and bring it across to the left hand side (lhs) to untangle.
as your left hand comes onto your rhs and you right hand follows, slightly split the planes of your poi so that the right hand poi comes *outside* of the left (ie. further out to the right so that the left would swing under the right armpit if we kept spinning).
keep your arms moving in the motion of the weave but at the same time, separate your hands so that they are about half your string-length away from each other.

here come da tricky bit:

you need to stop moving your hands when your right hand is at 12 o'clock and your left hand at 6 (ie. the top and bottom of a circle) the right poi should be at this point travelling down and pointing away from you (the direction you are facing) and the left poi travelling upwards and behind and away from you (having just passed your right thigh).
now, as the poi pass each other, you need to move your left hand out to the right and your right hand in towards you (to the left), tangling the strings in the process.
ideally you should aim to get the strings to cross at least halfway between the poi head and the handle.
the poi will now be spinning around a new centre where the strings have tangled.
allow each poi to complete one beat 'outside' your arms on the rhs then whip your hands over to the lhs of your body (same sort of pace as if you were doing a fast five-beat weave) making sure to keep the hands' relative distances and positions (ie. @ 12 and 6 and keeping the string taught).
the poi should spin through and end up on the 'outside' of your lhs.
if you get uneven beats on either side or a beat going between your arms you will get a knot from the depths of hell.

if everything has gone to plan, after another beat on this side the strings should separate and leave you free to slip back into a weave or into another hyperloop back the other way.

so that's my best attempt at an explanation i'm afraid.

a few extra tips i think are worth mentioning are firstly, that i tend to give a little 'push' or 'flick' to both poi (ie. speed them up very slightly), just before i tangle the strings. this seems to help carry them through the spin of the smaller circle.
secondly, i have found that to keep the string taught throughout the move, you only need pull with the hand on top (the right hand in the above example). it kinda feels like you're holding up the whole pattern as you pass it to the other side of your body.
in reverse it feels like the bottom hand that keeps the whole thing tight.

as for not having a poi 'die' (stop spinning and succumb to gravity) on the way out, this seemed to just cure itself after a little while - i think pulling the strings against each other slightly on the way out helps, as does swinging your hands quickly back into the weave motion after untangling.

[edit: speeding up *just* the poi that keeps it all stable helps the most i think - just before tangling, accelerate just the top hand for forward hyps or the bottom hand for reverse hyps.]

best of luck to those who are trying to learn off of this complete jumble of words.

coleman out.

[edit: quick note about the counting of this. the above description adds up to two beats. bringing the poi back to the rhs after the hyperloop has untangled will add another two beats, hence the whole move (a weave with a hyperloop on one side) will add up to 4bts. some people will only count the tangled beats, others will count from when strings touch to when they separate - these people are just mad ]

[ 17. July 2003, 00:11: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Jackelero:
I do a hyperloop where one poi is standing still while the other one swings in a buzzsaw...One poi have to cross by the handle..thats all....
any chance of some extra info on this one please...

sounds like some kind of crazy gilligan hyperloop a la bluecat...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
No problem....I didnt understand the move eighter after reading it the second time

It's just a tangled buzzsaw where one poi head is tangled close to the other arm's handle.....So it seems to stand still while the other poi goes around in full lenght between the arms
thats the weave version of it...you can also do a tangled buzz. corckscrew but I havent done it yet.....
Anyway....I call it 'the atom'

Hope that helps

I like Fire.. :)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i getcha now. sounds badass jack - cheers for the clarification
you can get this kind of effect by just catching one poi and continuing to spin the other round it.
sort of cheating compared to your version though!

i do a move called an atom too - its one poi in horizontal plane, one in vertical with the same centre point.

there's a really, really nice example on 'because life isn't' @ about 1:22.

and a quick update from nyc's question about ball chain - i just got some monkey fists with ball chain and it rocks for spinning hyperloops
constantswiveltastic ball chain happens to be great for isolations too...
trouble is, now i have no bloody excuses left for being crap

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
Since you liked it Cole......I'll throw in another one for you too.....
from a 2 bw you let one poihead catch the other then their at the top.......let it go (still catched) in a buzzsaw for a baeat or so......when they then get to the bottom of the circle you disconnect the and can then go smoothly to a butterby (inwards)

......allright to i think

I like Fire.. :)

TeachingMonkeyBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
I'm kinda new, so it's taking me a bit to get used to the lingo around here.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong: Hyperloops and Buzzsaws are just different names for variations where you intentionally overlap your lines and unwrap them on a different plane.
Is it possible to make the unwrap between your arms? (you'd need either long-ass arms or short-ass poi)
I keep reading this message board at work where I can't try anything I read about. It drives me nuts.
Andy!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by TeachingMonkey:
I keep reading this message board at work where I can't try anything I read about. It drives me nuts.
tell me about it man!

hyperloops are what you described there (as are airwraps).

buzzsaw is spinning the poi between your arms, with both arms straight out in front of you.
also called the wheel or the pinwheel (and probably some other things too; btn sometimes).

there are buzzsaw variations of airwraps and hyperloops.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TeachingMonkeyBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
Right.
With that understood, do hyperloops, buzzsaws, and airwraps require you to be standing in place, or can you do them with a turn? If you're 'allowed' to turn with tese moves, then it shouldn't be terribly difficult to do mass quantities of beats on one side of a figure 8, right?
Also, Is the difference between these weaves simply the number of beats they take on one side?
I recently figured out that if you're doing a figure 8 on one side of your body, you can add an extra beat or two by staggering the rhythm for one beat to reverse your lead hand. Then on the unwind, you just go to the other side and the extra beat comes from the natural cross of your arms. It's kind of like elbow turns with a staff.
Andy!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Took a break from this thread for a while... but added info seems to have inspred me.

"Wrap close to the handles"... I certanly wasn't even trying that back when I was trying that.

I'll have to try that.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
If you go into a forwards hyperloop on your left side and turn to the right then it comes out in reverse and so on...

quote:
Originally posted by TeachingMonkey:
Also, Is the difference between these weaves simply the number of beats they take on one side?
I recently figured out that if you're doing a figure 8 on one side of your body, you can add an extra beat or two by staggering the rhythm for one beat to reverse your lead hand. Then on the unwind, you just go to the other side and the extra beat comes from the natural cross of your arms. It's kind of like elbow turns with a staff.
Andy!

Isn't this just a five-beat weave? Or am I not getting it at all?

"Moo," said the happy cow.

nuttyman54member
7 posts

Posted:
can anyone maybe post a video of this move? i just don't learn well with descriptions. although that was one of the best ones i've seen!

Attention to health is life greatest hindrance. - Plato (427-347 B.C.E.) Plato was a bore. - Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900) Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal. - Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910) I'm not going to get into the ring with Tolstoy. - Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961) Hemingway was a jerk. - Harold Robbins

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Let's see if I've got this straight... a hyperloop is a weave with the axis moved from the hands to somewhere between the handles and the heads of the poi (ideally half-way)?

Genuineness only thrives in the dark -- like celery.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
that's one way of thinking of it, yes.

as for video, the video section of the site has several examples.

'how to' by bluecat and pk has a few (including the ridiculously sketchy but cool butterfly to weave hyperloop by rob).

i learnt by watching as video called 'drew & stick' by someone called glass. if you get that one, it shouldn't be hard to spot as there are only two poi moves on it (hyperloops and 7 beat weaves).

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
I'm having trouble getting the axis out away from the handles. It could be my home-made yarn and newspaper balls just aren't heavy enough. Your explanation has helped me a lot, though - thanks for your help

Genuineness only thrives in the dark -- like celery.

PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
A nice 4 beat hyperloop weave at 1:00 in Morning Coffee . . .

quote:
a hyperloop is a weave with the axis moved from the hands to somewhere between the handles and the heads of the poi (ideally half-way)?

.... sounds like an isolation to me !?! The video should clarify

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
its really interesting..

Coleman, deja vu. I'm sure we've had this conversation.... hows your counting?

When I do hyperloops they almost only ever seem to have 2 beats.

for that matter, saw the video of jonny (my 3rd flatmate where are ya ) doing one on morning coffee, and on slowmo I still only count 2 beats.
Funny old world.

I stick in tangle buzzsaws, get 2,4,6 more beats.
and occasionally I go back to trying to work on 3 beat hyperloops, but done properly, they're still too hard.

I count the beats from when they touch to when they separate.

I'm not typing this all out again. ... search

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
ps, the poi on my video is embarassingly bad.
i don't do them like that anymore.
so I wouldn't look there
But it was all prototype moves for me back then
many moons ago.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i think hyperloops have something to do with putting cake in an oven. I'm not 100% sure thou, it might have something to do with handing me a slice

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
quote:
Cake! Its a made up drug!
Today i was playing trying to get the basic hyperloop (I can do the harder ones ) and i still didnt really get it but i found that now i can seperate my arms inna 5-beat i can get a hyperloop on the 5th beat! Spiffy.

you kneed to have the 'twisty/curly/wrappy" hand down near the elbow and let the hand that normally leads across stay onna same side and the 'twisty/curly/wrappy" hand leads off the hyperloop. Hope that makes sence, thanks to drews mindbending for that one.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
as you bloody well know my counting is almost non-existent!
i'll go and have a look at this thread in a mo and edit if it needs it - i've been avoiding doing that for a while
bear in mind i still reckon there's 12 beats and 12 circles in a basic fountain though

quote:
Originally posted by Glåss:
I count the beats from when they touch to when they separate.

well if you use your own personal counting system we're bound to end up with different numbers
i thought the agreed system was 'number of beats before poi return to start of pattern'...?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Last time i was in london:

quote:
I dont do the 'beats' thing. -Andrew Batchelor 06/0703

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Sorry, I can't find any hyperloop videos... can someone link to one for me?

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
4 fwd, 2 rev (some are on the fade-in and -out): john (moohaahaa) dreadlikely on 'morning coffee' @ 0:58.

reverse and confusion: rob (bluecat-mineiro) tepookatastic on 'how to' @ 3:00 & 4:17.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Quick question.....why does the hands on have to be at 12 and 6 (not 3 and 9)? Did I read somewhere (can't find it now) that airwraps tend to have hands at 3 and 9 whereas hyperloops tend to have hands at 12 and 6. Sure I read that somewhere, seems a bit strange

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
its just the way our arms are made i reckon dude.

you can do vertical airwraps just as easy as horizontal ones, but...

i find its easier to do tangled buzzsaws from a 3-9 position than from a 6-12 (the 'maxi-plus').
a few others have commented that its simpler that way too.

you can do hyperloops with either hand on top from either side (ie. left to right with right hand @ 12 *and * right to left with right hand @ 12 and vice versa).

you can do the same with tangled buzzsaws too.

@ lunch kicks ass

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Nice one, that's what I needed to hear, was a little confused for a change.

And yes tis great. Just make sure you have more soon cause beware the fatigue disease of the lonesome lunchable....

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
OMG

this tech talk hurts my head. any hyperloops on video? i saw one video called 'spinning in paris' by nomad, and this guy did yhat you described, i think. looks tricky

and for five beat weaves, you basically have to cross your arms to make another beat, like four beat corkscrews.

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Coleman - Those initial instructions are fabulous! Thank you! My hyperloops are a huge mess, and I can't manage it every time, but my arms now have the idea and they're generally working out. Now to just practice.. lots!

E pluribus unum, baby.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
tis a 2-beat cole

i could run off a swift hyperloop vid tutorial when i return from ejc if you like? (snazzy cheap camera techniques make it surprisingly easyto do poi tutorials i have discovered.... )

your work

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
yea rob cat
at least someone else is sane.
coleman is a juggler now

anyway beat are dead, nails in the coffin
girl sitting on top holding stuffed dead animals.
long live circles

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
bollocks drew.

you speak.

but i agree with the sanity thing.

beats are live and well. just not appropriate for the whole lexicon of poi.

none of your post-modernist crap in return please unless its very original... and proofing.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Page: