Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...8687888990...117
flash fire
flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal
Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

_khan_
_khan_

old hand
Total posts: 768
Posted:Last night I got what Zan calls the "mind meltdown" on the EncycloPoidia. It was totally one of those "I can't believe I couldn't do that!" moments. I also got the meltdown pirouette. Next is adding flower beats to it.

And hyperloops are coming along...they're getting more consistent and under control.

Yakumo: goofy flowers are flowers where one poi is antispin, but the other is regular spin.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Delete

cynderpoi

Total posts: 2
Posted:Ok, so I have been working with this move for a little while and I have gotten it down with glowsticks. Im still don't do spiral wraps with fire. But it's one I have either missed or haven't seen during my searches on the forums. It s a butterfly spiral wrap. While doing the butterfly I just exstend my fingers into the prayer position let the poi wrap and pull just as they finish the wrap. If you stop there you are now in the reverse butterfly. You can also let the go out do on beat in reverse and spiral again back into normal butterfly. It makes it look like the butterfly is growing from your hands. My friends liked it. Thought all of you might.

"Fire in the skin,
Fire in the brain,
Fire in the heart,
And fire in the vein."

Delete

BlueHairSar
stranger
Total posts: 22
Posted:I've been productive in the last three days:

buzz-saw isolations

TTN isolation

TTN turns

BTB Butterfly waistwraps

Waistwrapy turny thing

Butterfly hyperloop

"Salt N Peppah"

Whee!

Delete

Richee
HOP librarian
Total posts: 1841
Posted:
Ok,

BW BF -> Trow underneath(under hand) -> tapback it back
(back in direction) -> catch it again underneath
to opposite direction -> repeat with other hand -> FW BF.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

Crisis

Total posts: 17
Posted:I took acid at a club the other day and was using my poi as sock poi by swinging them from the tails with the strings taken off, and someone knocked me as I was doing 5bt and it somehow moved the point where my hands would cross to the strings and I accidentally hyperlooped! I was so into what I was doing because of the acid that I remembered exactly the movement I had done by accident and repeated it, so now I can hyperloop, yay! At least I think it's a hyperloop... They dont spin much, I think its one or half a beat worth of spinning, something like that. This is a hyperloop, right? where the 'extra' beat of the 5bt weave makes the strings cross and uncross on the other side? I may just be being silly. It looks cool anyway, thats the main thing.

Now I just need to learn how to do them backwards!

...Which means I have to stop being lazy and learn 5bt backwards, oh well.

Anyway, to all people who "just cant get" a trick, take some acid or 2-CB, it seems to work for me.

(I'm joking, honest! Drugs are bad, mmmkay? rolleyes)

Delete

Crisis

Posted:Actually I'm not sure that is called a hyperloop... its definately SOME kind of tangle though. Is it a thru-wrap? I have no idea!

Delete

Drudwyn
Drudwyn

Forget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
Total posts: 632
Posted:If your poi are tangling on one side of you and unwrapping on the other, then it's a hyperloop. if the poi are wrapping around a part of your body, and unwrapping, then it's a through wrap. If the poi are tangling and untangling in the same place on the same side of you, it's an airwrap.

I hope that helps >,<

I've learnt nothing!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Delete

Crisis

Posted:I think its a hyperloop then, it crosses on one side and uncrosses on the other. Yay! I've almost grasped how to do isolations now too, wicked!

Delete

Crisis

Posted: Written by: Yakumo

and finally come to synergy on the 24th smile

I was there! I did some spinning but looked like a dork next to the jedi jugglers, oh well frown

Delete

sagetree
sagetree

organic creation
Total posts: 246
Posted:crossarm wibbles

split time wibbles with both hands

Delete

coleman
coleman

big and good and broken
Total posts: 7330
Posted:turning parallel antispin reels smile

can't make the buggers go split time.

but then again, i don't think i can do normal ones split time wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

Sambo_Flux
Sambo_Flux

Introverted
Total posts: 833
Posted:Split time butterfly weave, woo! And Coming out of cross arm reels into wall plane antispin flowers, and back into cross arm reels with my hands the other way up. Nice. A

nd antispin reels, cheers for the idea Cole hug although it looks messy as hell and I can't turn them.

Also getting there with buzzsaw isolations (I'm using fire chains with monkey fist heads) and buzzsaw fountains.

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Delete

Sambo_Flux
Sambo_Flux

Introverted
Posted:OK, I figured out I was doing antispin reels wrong, I was doing the top circles behind my head, where they should be in front. Much cleaner, and it looks great going from normal to antispin.

Split-timing it is problematic, for the same reason normal reels are. When doing the top (shoulder) part, you only do half of the reel (the behind the head bit with normal, in front with antispin) before going into the hip reel bit. As a result, when you get to the hip reels bit, the wrong hand is leading, which means you get both poi crossing paths behind you (normal) or in front (antispin). Whilst this is technically the correct split time version of the move, it's messy and doesn't look right.

The way I deal with this is to modify the shoulder reels part to include the beat in front when I spin in split time. This effectively changes the overall motion from a 3 beat move to a 4 beat move, and means that the leading hand always leads throughout the motion. This looks more like proper linked reels, and is easy to spin normal or antispin.

If that explanation is incomprehensible, hear's a description in terms of beats and positions for normal reels, starting with the hip reel bit going clockwise (I find it easier starting with this):

Right hand behind right hip

Left hand in front of right hip

Right hand in front of left hip

Left hand behind left hip

Right hand in front of left shoulder

Left hand behind left shoulder

Right hand behind right shoulder

Left hand in front of right shoulder

That's for normal reels, for antispin, same sequence, poin spinning opposite way (anticlockwise).

Anyway, that's my new move... biggrin

Yakumo: Yes, impossible weave is split-time butterfly weave. A goofy flower is one where one hand is antispun and the other isn't, for example arms going the same direction and poi are going opposite, or poi going the same direction and arms doing opposite. And yup I'm coming to Synergy! See you there....

Sambo biggrin

EDITED_BY: Sambo_Flux (1163775079)

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

Delete

sketch
sketch

Empirically random...
Total posts: 431
Posted:5bt inverted butterflyweave (i think)

antispin weave

a cool negative space throw

clubswingers nightmare (is that its real name??) properly this time

isolated fountain

atomic 3bt weave

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI
Total posts: 3556
Posted:i don't even know what those are?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:tangles hyperloop and half the waist wrap

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

Crisis

Posted:I've learned Armpit through-wraps (?) but not quite perfected them yet, and also learned Buzzsaw isolations, which I was trying to do for MONTHS and now I can do them I've realised what was stopping me from being able to do them. The poi I was using were far too light for the momentum to be right. I now use juggling balls in long socks which work really really well. I want to learn more isolations now! biggrin

Delete

dj_sacrific3
Total posts: 10
Posted:BTB forward 5bt weave waistwrap

a few turning flowers from the 3bt waistwrap

isolated buzzsaw fountain with regular spin.(can do it anti-spin way sloppy though)

windmill transition from buzzsaw fountain(regular or anti-spin) high and low ( I picked this up really easily after messing around with insides. . as the hand positioning is similar

anti-spin 4bt corckscrew

3bt butter-weave fountain

high and low windmill pirroette

<S.kill> J_Sacrific3

Delete

Yakumo
Yakumo

veteran
Total posts: 1237
Posted:partial 'weird ass iso/inversion in front wall plain' thing from simian, might be the whole thing actually I'm not sure, need to watch him do it a few hundred more times to understand, ubblol

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Delete

Mireneye
enthusiast

Total posts: 276
Posted:Neck wrap.
Did it on my third try. It felt SO damn good as well..

Delete

Sambo_Flux
Sambo_Flux

Introverted
Posted:Not sure what it's called, but outward thread the needle, but where the top poi does a pendulum across the top of the pattern. Looks really nice when the bottom poi is isolated, and the top poi head crosses the bottom poi about 3/4 of the way towards the hand. Thread the pendulum maybe? Learning the inwards version at the moment.

Oh, and 1.5s (3bt weave, with pendulums). Groovy. Having issues with butterfloops though...

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

Delete

pineapple pete
pineapple pete

water based
Total posts: 5125
Posted:today i got a suicide type thing, to another suicide type thing, without untangling. im not sure if its the technical name. its basically where you go into an airwrap and let go of one of the handles.

i also got the above thing, and joined it straight into a hyperloop.

also got a few beats of btb hugs smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Delete

Kemi_K

Total posts: 5
Posted:i just learned how to thread the needle smile sure it seems quite lame but i've only been poing for 5 months now!!

Delete

TotalEclipse
Total posts: 120
Posted:WOOOOOOO

Finally got the 4-beat corkscrew. Its not the most reliable thing in the world but at least I know it's possible...

Delete

Yakumo
Yakumo

veteran
Total posts: 1237
Posted:lol sam, well done, I spent a bit of time on 1.5's after seeing durbs' vid...

maybe more later, just a total head **** really, lol

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Delete

Richee
HOP librarian
Total posts: 1841
Posted:1.5 variation.

lightining,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

BlueHairSar
stranger
Total posts: 22
Posted:the zipper is now no longer the bane of my exisitance!

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:i cleaned up my airwraps-very messy before, now done with neatness

Faith

Delete

PoiDoll
PoiDoll

Total posts: 2
Posted:five was pretty easy for me once i learned four. It's not great for performances or anything, but they're good for cleaning up your threes and excersizing.

Delete

Drudwyn
Drudwyn

Forget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
Total posts: 632
Posted:Horizontal false airwraps. Airwrap/tangle in floorplane, then as the heads are halfway round, tangle them again with your hands...let them bounce and reverse, letting go with your hands and coming straight out. Need to learn 1.5s

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Delete

Page: 1...8687888990...117