Chikabimember
2 posts

Posted:
I've been hanging around this site for a while, and just recieved my order from the shop (excellent service) so I'll be using the 'poi-lessons` extensively.I just thought I'd say what an excellent site this is, and the input from members adds a huge amount to the info it gives.Enough of the introduction...The 'lesson` bits are extremely useful, but one thing I find very hard is transitions (moves on your videos are still baffling me!). Maybe a list of simple transitions could be put in, then added to by members? Just a thought.I was also wondering about routines. Do people plan them to make it easier, or do you know your moves well enough to be able to 'jam` and go with the flow in a preformance? I can hardly go from one trick to the next without a zuni in the face.I was also wondering about flags, but with poles. Can they be dealt with like staffs? Does anyone do this either with one large pole or two? They interest me a lot for during the day twirling.Thanks for listening..Chikabip.s I did read all the info, searching is the best way of finding information. And I hope I haven't/won't annoy anyone by breaking rules.

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
As far as transitions, I swing both ways.The way it happened with me was this: once I was comfortable with a set of moves, I'd learn what was basically a set of simple, short moves to go from each to each. Like with the fancy stuff, once you've done it successfully, your body will remember how to do it after that. The more comfortable you are with how the moves feel (I definitely recommend practicing with closed eyes to get a feel for the path of the poi all the way around your body) the easier it will be to blend the feel of one move into another. practice.A lot of the time when I'm just spinning for myself or a small crowd, I throw moves together depending on what I feel like doing next or what the music is doing or how the crowd seems to be reacting. It helps to be comfortable with each move and to have done the transitions before.For actual performances, though, I find it's good to push your limits. A friend and I are choreographing a poi fight scene right now. Because it's predetermined, we've ended up throwing together moves in quick succession that we wouldn't have had the confidence or precision to pull off on the spot.The move-linking topic is a good idea, either as a thread or as a tutorial page.Cheers! smile-Rick

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
when i first started spinning i would just pick 2 moves and spend time trying to combo them together....but now that i know better...Also when you realize that most moves are the same just in different planes around the body, for some reason that helped me put moves together. if you just slow them down, and just let yourself go, you will feel how they just flow into each other...Alot of it is experimentation because theres more than one or two ways to combo moves together. ive stumbled onto linking three moves together by complete accident before. Then ill try to do it again, and come up with something else instead.BUT, i guess there are basic transitions, which could aid newcomers to POI.again,i figured out more transitions by slowing down, and over exagerrating my movements. If you have any specific transitions you are wondering about let us know, ill try to help describe them to get you o your way.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

JeannieGOLD Member
18 posts

Posted:
I am still having a problem with transitions, but it's not something that gets easier with concentration and technique... it's something that just ends up happening when you forget to worry about it. Just the other day, I was whining about not being able to get the "Fountain" move~ I had memorized all the "steps", practiced slow-mo with long sticks, visualized the poi in my head, and was still slamming my tennis balls into my face. Then my friend came over and asked me to show off~ so I put started swinging a chase. That quickly got repetitive, and my poi started talking to me. "Hey, Jeannie," they said, "We wanna do something different now. Swing us over your head or something." So i did. And it was like a lightbulb had gone off. At first I thought, 'Wow! I've made a new move!', but then I realized that I had just done a Fountain. You can only go so far by teaching yourself the right steps... you have to let the poi teach you the right moves. ------------------"É preciso amar as pessoas como seNão houvesse amanhã." We must love as if there was no tomorrow.

É preciso amar as pessoas como se
Não houvesse amanhã.
We must love as if there was no tomorrow.

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
The secret to learning transitions most definitely is to STOP thinking about what you are doing and to get your brain OUT of the way. One way to do this is to find some music you like with a good beat and play it as loud as possible. Just let the poi spin to the beat and don't worry about what your hands and arms are doing. Other people find that psychoactive chemicals really help in developing transitions and new moves.-p.