Forums > Social Chat > Nova Scotia Hurricane check-in

Login/Join to Participate

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
Everyone okay?

We've (Ivan and I have) still got power, unlike most, and none of our stuff was badly damaged. Brought my plants in from the garden before the storm hit.

How is everyone?

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
My family and I are okay. Lost a few shingles, and all my favourite trees in my backyard are goners, unfortunately. When it hit, my house was shaking so much that stuff was falling off my far wall... We thought that our windows were going to blow in!

We just got our power back this afternoon, apparently. I was downtown all day, checking out the damage.. Nearly cried when I saw the Public Gardens... They'll probably never be the same again! The waterfront was kinda freaky... At Bishops Landing, where we performed a week ago, part of the path is missing, completely washed away, and I swear, it looks like someone got an army of bulldozers, and pushed the whole boardwalk up.. There's parts on top of concrete!

It's shocking... but, the only thing I really must say, is that they better get it fixed before Buskers next summer! XDD

I like orange.And don't take my cookies.

Cerberusmember
23 posts

Posted:
Poor Bobo, now you can't yell (while wearing sandles and a tie-dye shirt) at the people who were threatening to cut the trees down!

I just got my power back 15 minutes ago (I'm going for a nice WARM shower very soon!) and I had to transport some of my frozen food over to Blaze's a while ago, she had power earlier this morning(Half of the food was already wasted T.T).
I didn't see downtown, but I live near a forest and if you walk in a little ways there is a huge line of trees just lying on their side. I'm not too upset about that though, whenever a tree dies, it leaves way for new ones to grow ^^
The only family member I'm worried about right now is my Cat. He was out in the storm, he ran away a couple days ago, he's been doing that a lot because we recently moved (just up the hill though O.o he doesn't move well). Hopefully he found a place to wait out the storm, I'm sure we'll find him.

~Cerberus~+Something simple+

Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
AHHH! BOOTS! No! He's gotta be okay!!! T.T

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Storm? Aw shit, i must've slept through that... what day is today?

Nah, seriously though, sunday night i was at a party and it was cut short because the father of the house thought it'd be a good idea if everyone got home before the storm hit. Good idea... So i get home and start talking to a friend in Newfoundland when my dad interrupts because he has to use the phone, i finally get off to let him use the phone and he calls our neighbour to tell him to move the Mustang from his driveway into our driveway because we don't have a tree directly above our driveway, so the guy comes out, struggles with the car because its not his and he usually drives an automatic, get finally gets it into our driveway and when he gets out he watches half of the Tree park in his driveway.

As for damange to our property, nothing major, one branch broke on a tree, which is nothing due to the fact that during the storm the OTHER tree was moving about a Metre in both directions about 3 metres up the main trunk. We got powerback Monday Night [aka Tuesday Morning] roughly around 3 in the morning, and got Internet/Cable back around 4pm Tuesday. the Telephone never went down though.

I understand most of the locals live in Halifax, so lemme tell you have Dartmouth is doing... I took my bike down to the waterfront to assess the damage. Portland Street was covered in trees and downed powerlines, and downtown dartmouth is covered in broken signs and glass. Nothing major. BUT the dartmouth "boardwalk" or whatever you want to call it was Broken, one part completely dissappeared, a train was derailed, a few tanks from the train were floating in the harbour, a boat got pushed ashore, and the whole Queens Landing area was flooded during the storm so its covered in seaweed and ocean debris. I've got some pictures i'll post links to once i get them developed.

I'm heading over to halifax tomorrow around noon to check out whats going on over there, gonna bring my camera with me aswell, i hope its not to much to handle... I've seen pictures of the public garden though.... OUCH!. I'd imagine they'll be doing alot of transplanting now or in the spring.

I'd imagine this is getting a little long winded, so i'll just end it here.. i didn't even get into the damage at my workplace... we had to go do cleanup on monday. Yay for minimum wage employment.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Oh, Rick... you say that asthough you and Ivan live together? Do you?

On a side note, my kevlar should be in this week, and i did fire for the first time lastweek... *Drool* i've finally found something that i can cheat on my nonexistant girlfriend with.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
Just heard: NO SCHOOL UNTILL MONDAY!!!! YAAAY! *does Snoopy dance* This kicks total ass! Especially since I was supposed to have two tests this Monday... heheheee ^__^

So, now, I have no school tomorrow, on my birthday, and now I think I will try to organize a party of sorts... WHOOOT! *jumps around hyperly*

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
DarkDevil- Yep, Ivan and I share a house with Ivan's girlfriend, Krystle. Makes work a lot more convenient.

Glad to hear everyone's okay (course, we won't be hearing much from the cats who aren't okay...)

Heard something about another storm coming in about 9 days. Don't know if it's just a rumour or what.

narf.

thats right i look like an albino ape that has had a bad day.. go ahead say something stupid... i dare ya !

134 posts

Posted:
uh, yeah. That last post was from Rick, not Ivan.

Yeah, we also share a computer. *shrug*

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

...phobos...member
56 posts

Posted:
hey! Im glad to hear you all survived the storm. Things were pretty rough where I am too..my whole backyard is trees! I was freaking out because half of one of my bedroom walls is glass and i was scared it was going to blow in....
good to know your still alive over there!
oh yeah, and on a totally un-related topic- did you and Ivan get the picture I sent you on sunday? I doubt you've seen it yet due to the lack of power...

man, it makes you wanna shoot them in the face and beat them with baseball bats, doesnt it?

...phobos...member
56 posts

Posted:
oh yeah..there is another storm coming, 'hurricane kate'. Its due to hit halifax around sunday...Peter Coad said so...and hes ALWAYS right...mwahahahahahaha! uh...anyways...

man, it makes you wanna shoot them in the face and beat them with baseball bats, doesnt it?

...phobos...member
56 posts

Posted:
and just to clarify the fact that there is nothing scarier then waking up at one in the morning and seeing a transformer blow up outside your window...Im sure that was a common sight...not fun, in'nit?
my poor sister is still stuck in dark...she cant shower, cook, see...I hope everyones ok out there!

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Thats awesome Rick, soo.. what kind of plants do you grow in this garden of yours
Woohoo, my kevlar should be in soon, stupid hurricane probibly delayed them a little. Bobo, call me up if you wanna do something (or any locals for that matter... numbers Four three Four Zero One Three Four, ask for nick) I had a fun night in halifax tonight, but soon i'm gonna crash...

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick:

How is everyone?

Cheers for asking!

I'm ok.

Then again I live in Sheffield, England, so we didn't get the worst of it.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
I'm not dead. Cerberus, your cats name is Boots?

134 posts

Posted:
onewheeldave: you cheeky monkey!

DarkDevil: The plants I had to bring in have spade-shaped purple leaves fringed in green. The leaves are green when the plant isn't getting as much sunlight. I don't remember the name, but the stalks are easily broken. I had to bring them in before the frost anyway. I just took generous cuttings that are rooting and I'll pot them in a couple of weeks, then replant the plants in the garden in the spring. The cuttings originally came from a prize-winning plant belonging to my grandmother. It's important to me.

I'd like to grow some ivy out there next year, and perhaps some ferns.

This is now a gardening thread.

-Rick aka Loki

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
My backyard is a very shadey area, we get sunlight roughly 7 hours a day maximum but i'd like to grow some veggies for next harvist, what would you suggest?

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Flipmodius was over Sunday night and we were watching the storm from my window. I was really scared since the tree from the other side of my driveway kept bending down in front of the house. At one point a big branch snapped off and hit the roof abovemy sister's room, rolled down and landed on our car's windshield.
On either end of our block we had trees down. There was a gigantahuge one pulling down the power lines and laying down on top of Ben's Bakery, the sidewalk is still vertical.
Flip and I went around town monday morning to see what happened, by that time they hadn't patched up the holes in the gates at the Public Gardens so we....snuck in... It really was heart breaking, giant trees down left and right. The flowers were practically demolished but the ducks seemed no worse for wear.
We just got our internet back moments ago, it's so nice to see your smiling....uh, icons again.
Glad to hear no one's had a really bad experience!

P*L*U*R

Cerberusmember
23 posts

Posted:
NickC: Yes, my cat's name is Boots. He's got cute little white paws and belly while the rest of him is grey (hence his name... I'm so clever)... ^^ he's so adorable when he's not scratching my eye out!
Still no sign of him *worries*.

My mom had me help her bring in her plants before the storm... it was like a mini jungle in my kitchen, she REALLY likes her plants.

It was so creepy at around 12:00 midnight. My house started swaying and we've got a bunch of trees in my backyard and my room is in the back of the house (I was kind of worried about one flying through my window)... meanwhile my sister was in her apartment-like basement room nice and cozy, she slept through the whole thing.

I heard hurricane Kate wasn't going to hit Halifax and Dartmouth very badly, maybe just a bit of wind and rain.

~Cerberus~+Something simple+

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
My cat's name is Boots too.

His underside and paws are white and the rest is black.

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
My cat Tim was on the couch sleeping through it all, while we were all going nuts looking for Bridget and Emily, my other cats. Bridget showed up halfway through the storm (missing her collar...) and we didn't see Emily untill the next morning but she was fine.

P*L*U*R

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
dont get disheartened or worried if not all the Nova Scotia HoPpers check in to say they ok.

I'm still waiting for 2 nu yorkers to check in after 9/11. And i'm still worried for their safety. and i've met one of them recently.....

Meh

Flipmodiusmember
103 posts

Posted:
hey i am alive or at least i hope. yeah i was at demios' we survived no worse for wear. my house survived with out a scratch and with out power. I don't have any plants to talk about or any cats except demios' cuz i might as well live with her. bridget(spelt wrong i am sure to get in trouble). came home just after the storm and the poor cat was soaked to the bone,but happy as she always is.

some will understand. -buddah

Cagemember
174 posts

Posted:
My friend's ship sunk in the storm in Halifax. I don't know if any of you guys have heard of it, it's called the Larinda. I guess an ex-Canadian Navy ship broke loose and bashed it pretty good. Everyone got off alright though. I was just wondering if there has been news of them salvaging it yet. If anyone has any news, give me a shout. It was a beautiful ship. I was on it less than 2 monthes ago. It took one couple 25 years to build. I pray that they can save some of it.

thanks,
.:~* cage *~:.

Without further guilding the lily and with no more ado, I bid you farewell and sweet dreams...

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
I believe it was still under last weekend, if its the boat i'm thinking about... it had one of those yellow things around it to keep surface pollutants out of the water.

Cagemember
174 posts

Posted:
okay, thanks for the update mate

Without further guilding the lily and with no more ado, I bid you farewell and sweet dreams...

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
I was down there tonight actually, if its the ship i'm thinking about then its still down, sad to say... The ExNavy boat your talking about is a musieum parked right next to it.