Page:
simian

simian

110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY

Total posts: 3149
Posted:Now look, it says very clearly on the list of forums that this is the Temporary Discussion Area, but there are NO discussions about the nature of time. So i'm making one.

Time confuses me for several reasons
1. you can't poke it with a stick.
2. we all seem to be moving along it at the same speed but...
3. when i try to think about how 'fast' we are moving in time, without reference to time to determine speed, my brain stops working and starts thinking about iced buns instead.
4. did i say several reasons? um...
5. how small does time go till you get to an indivisible elementary particle of time, eh? eh?
6. if the answer to the last one is 'infinitely small' then what sense does 'now' make, eh? eh?
7. is the future already there, or does it get made as it happens?

um yeah.

So anyone want to give me some of their time?
(go on Dom, i've forgotten how your theory that time doesn't exist actually went )

and finally, to fit in with the rest of this Forum, i'd like to blame the USA for its abuse of time and general temporal irresponsibility

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Delete Topic

UCOF
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:Does that help the thread any wherherabouts?

Now that doesnt even make any sence...

neither did the orignal post so i shall let you off this tim.
Tim?

I evidently meant Time.

Delete

Pyrolific
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium

Total posts: 3289
Posted:This thread on the other hand seems like it should be in social discussion.

not surprising to see a mischevous monkey at the helm of these tangled threads smile

ok over we go again - is anyone getting the same sense of de ja vu that I am?

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Delete

UCOF

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:so, Time.

um...

erm..

Is time travel actually possible? Theoretically?

Delete

simian

simian

Posted:Quote:
not surprising to see a mischevous monkey at the helm of these tangled threads smile

Moi? i may have started the thread, but i didn't tangle it biggrin i couldn't possibly disclose who did, but his name certainly isn't Charkles ubbangel wink

Anyway, now this thread is in the grown-up's forum i shall refrain from further silliness and/or mentions of woodland mammals within it.

if anyone has anything to add about the subject of time, or comments on any of the previous highly interesting posts, then this thread is your pinemartin smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Delete

originalsmit
SILVER Member since Aug 2003

originalsmit

addict

Total posts: 469
Posted:yeah. im travelling in time right now.
the question is can we control the speed and/or direction in time. so i can travel forward quickly till when i finish work.
or slow time down so that when i step outside and the sunshine hits me on my face i can stretch that soul warming moment to last all afternoon.
but why only go forward and back. whats off the normal timeline.? can we travel sideways.? or diagonally in time??
answers on a postcard.
no not on a postcard on this thread that would be better really

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

Delete

UCOF

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:Can we even turn time off...

hang on..

Time doesnt actually exist. You cant hold or touch it anyway?

so how could you turn something that doesnt exist, off?

Delete

originalsmit
SILVER Member since Aug 2003

originalsmit

addict

Total posts: 469
Posted:does that mean we have a longer wait for the time travel if ucof turned the time off.?

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

Delete

simian

simian

Posted:*ahem* you guys know this is the serious version of the thread?

(the phrase "hoist on my own petard" springs to mind rolleyes )

Here, this is the last 'serious' post i did in this thread, because i'd like to provoke serious discussion, but can't think of anything new to say off the top of my head

(and also cos i still want to be told why it's wrong) ubbangel

Quote:
ooh, here's something i've been idly wondering about. A theoretical teleporter (like what they have in star trek) would basically just make a copy of you in a new place and then get rid of the old one, yes?

Which is essentially murder, but noone notices because there's a new person who acts just like you and thinks they're you thats come out the other end.

Basically you've got a continuity of identity, thats seperate from what you're made of, or whats going on in you're head. If you make an exact copy of yourself, there's still only one you that you're living inside.

So what is it that transfers this continuous identity from one infintesimal moment to the next? How are these changes-of-state in time, different from having an exact replica made of you?

Thinking about this has now convinced me that i have no lasting existence in anything but a physical sense, and mentally i'm just a set of constantly replaced deluded doppelgangers who are born and die in their millions every second. Which really bothers me until i forget about it a bit later and think about iced buns instead.

do you see what i'm getting at, or was that a load of impenetrable waffle?

Delete

UCOF

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:Wasnt mine serious enough?

I did try.

frown

Delete

Kaji

Kaji

Quantum Theorist

Total posts: 564
Posted:UCOF told me to post this here to I didn't feel like modifying it.

Does anyone have a theory regarding the limites of quantum computers. I believe they do have a limit as there most likely is a finite number of parallel universes and a finite number of atoms within each. Then there must be limit to the factoring cabablities (Sp?) of a quantium computer. Of course that being said the very act of quantum action may create for a brief moment enough universes along our quantum plane to complete any action. But that brings the theory of consiousness being pivitale to quantum splits into question. But for that theory to be true then the forth dimention isn't time but consciouness. Which would prove Charles' theory of a few months ago that stated the devine being (whoever or whatever that may be) existing out side of time. Meaning time it's self may not actually be a really thing, but only a precieved thing used my our simple minds to cope with something far beond our understanding. Any thoughts?

all this of course means that Enstine while right made a mistake E = MC2 where C is the speed of light. Speed is of cause a function of time. but if time trully doesn't exist except at a perception of passing quantum events trigured by consciousness (which was probably a complete fluke). That means that we can travel through "time", we can travel fasters than light, and infact can probably jump to any point in our plane of existance simply by programing a quantum drive witht the corridinates. Enstine will be happy, we may prove him wrong in our life time.

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

Delete

Tao Star

Tao Star

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1662
Posted:in answer to monkey boy,

i guess what you're saying is completely right.

NOTE: before i write this i am not trying to make ANY religious point WHATSOEVER!!!!

but...

it's interesting to note how a lot of pagan beliefs tie in with scientific stuff (like the thing about vibrations and everything vibrating), and according to a lot of good pagan teachers, you are not ever living in circumstance (i.e. doing something because you happened to be already doing it) you are cnstantly, every second, choosing what it is that you do, so in that way i guess you are a different person every billionth of a second - you are choosing to be the person you are constantly, all the time. so this second i could decide to be a bitch and then change my mind a minute later.

the only thing is that everyone else might not notice and think i was still being a bitch, so that's the only thnkg that makes it seem like you are still the same person - other people's perception of you, which ties in nicely with...

Quote:
Which is essentially murder, but noone notices because there's a new person who acts just like you and thinks they're you thats come out the other end.

doesn't really answer everything, but interesting all the same... smile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Delete

Charles
BRONZE Member since Jun 2001

Charles

Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer

Total posts: 3989
Posted:WOW! This thread is still going! I can't believe it.

My son is turning 1 under a month and he was only 3 months halway through the thread...

What an amazing progression of changing states forcued us to arrive at this situation despite not travelling at all as time does not really exist... (Still)

biggrin ubbrollsmile wink biggrin ubbrollsmile

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Delete

UCOF

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:So are we any further on aggring/ disaggring on what time actually is?

I bleive that time doesnt exist. It is simply a metaphysical idea, created by man inorder to arrange and organsie life better.

Cos if there wasnt any time, pople would never be able to meet. The conversation would go something like:

"So do you want to meet up tomorrow?"
"Yeh, ok, what time?"
"I reckon 'o' clock is best for me."
"ahhh..I cant make it until ."
"Ok thats fine with me. I will see you at then"
"Bye!"

See the problem?

Delete

Durbs
BRONZE Member since Sep 2001

Durbs

Classically British