Forums > Social Chat > Desperate for help with 3 Beat Weave!!!

Login/Join to Participate

matt_crawfordSILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
Hi everyone, I'm new to Poi and have been teaching myself all sorts of stuff with the help of some YouTube videos and prior knowledge from people helping me out. I am seriously in desperate need to learn the 3 Beat Weave and It's really getting me too aggravated. I've asked friends for help, I watched YouTube videos over and over and over again and I just can't do it and pick it up. It's like Trigonometry to me, I just can't get it. If anyone can guide me to the best video possible to learn this I will be so appreciated. If I can't do these simple moves everyone else can then I'll never be able to light up and I really really want to badly :):) Thank you all, much love! smile

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
doing the 3 beat weave isnt mandatory before lighting up, tho i admit it is quite a valuable trick to drop into

i learnt mine from 6 different people all showing me the same method to do it and then just over a week of hitting myself until i finally got it. if you stress about it, then it will likely take longer

i googled 'slo mo 3 beat weave' and this was first to come up and it does look easy to follow
when starting off i usually teach people extended 3 beat weave (slower and smoother move which can make it a lot easier) by making them move their whole arm at first and then as they get the idea embedded in their brain they make the movements closer to the wrist and speed it up
best way of describing the extended 3 beat weave in text would be having your forearms crossed at the centre of each forearm, then spin the arm that is underneath right out and around as if you were swimming and bring it down directly above the part of your forearm that it started and then repeating with the other arm (which would now be underneath. the poi in this would be in a straight line from wrist and elbow when spinning
as you speed this up and make the arm movements less exagerrated and closer to your body you will make it look a lot neater (and more awesome)

....if you havnt a clue what i described there now then do your best with the video and try to find someone who can show you it in person
EDITED_BY: ABOBer92 (1372149316)

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
If you're having problems with the 3 beat weave, I'd suggest that you go search for hip and shoulder reels, and learn those instead. Imo they're a much simpler and far more dynamic and versatile move than the 3 beat weave.

Personally I feel that even though most of us poi spinners consider the 3 beat weave a basic move, it's actually decently complex, and the only reason that it's so widespread is due to the fact that everyone just learns it first and thus teaches it first to other people.

What I feel is better is to go out, learn some hip and shoulder reels, learn them both ways, same time and split time, and also to turn and move around with them, and that will be a much more versatile and fun 'base move' to start from compared to a three beat weave.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

corestripemember
40 posts

Posted:
learn 2 beat weaves than just do the same thing with both hands

How goes it ?¿

sticklefifermember
8 posts

Posted:
Do one poi at a time. Muscle memory is a BIG part of poi spinning, so if your arms remember the motions when you do them individually, it's easier to put them together.

The first thing you want to do is take your most comfortable hand (I'm lefty but let's just say righty since most people are), and spin on the opposite side for two beats (counted when it passes your head). These two beats should be overhand swings, passing you clockwise.

As it passes by your head the second time, immediately cross it in front of yourself to the right side until it passes your head for one underhand swing, counter-clockwise. Then go back to your left side for two beats, back to right for one beat, etc.

Now switch. Do the same thing with your off-hand, by itself. Two on the right side, one on the left. Count to yourself, "1 2 (switch) 3. 1 2 (switch) 3." Each beat should take the same amount of time.

Now drop your poi and go empty-handed. Take your lead hand and do the motion of the 3 beats. Then "chase" your lead hand with your off hand as you switch sides. After the first beat, you'll then chase your off hand with your lead hand to the other side instead. Repeat that motion. Now try it with one poi in your hand and one empty. Then try with both.

Once you get the muscle memory down in your arms, you'll be able to put it all together.

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
Hope this is helpful!!!

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

ArtworkByAutumnDIAMOND Member
14 posts

Posted:

Mourinhomember
4 posts

Posted:
Personally I feel that even though most of us poi spinners consider the 3 beat weave a basic move, it's actually decently complex, and the only reason that it's so widespread is due to the fact that everyone just learns it first and thus teaches it first to other people.

EDITED_BY: Kombi guy (1375824183)

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
It is a simple move, but at the same time is one of moderate complexity. It is one of the first moves taught that requires plane control, timing. It also can act as an early gate to flow. The three beat weave is a simple yet integral step in learning to spin poi.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.