nico4141stranger
4 posts

Posted:
In the past week i have been trying to get the one handed butterfly down. i manage to pinch the poi with my pinkie but they collide every time after a few seconds. If anyone knows how to fix this please leave a post.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Try tracing a figure of 8 with your pinky while doing it. This helps keep the pinky-gripped poi slightly out of plane and makes it much easier to prevent the poi from colliding.

Hope this helps.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

nico4141stranger
4 posts

Posted:
ok.... ill try that. thanks

nico4141stranger
4 posts

Posted:
i still cant seem to get them out of the way of each other........ should my hand be facing a different way or something?

PatroclusSILVER Member
spirito vagante
2 posts

Posted:
i've always had more success gripping the 2nd poi between my middle and ring finger (my lil finger on one hand is all messed up)

doing it like that, i find the middle finger has the effect of changing the angle of each poi to be slightly outwards rather than flat against the wall plane which i figure helps a lot when it comes to stopping em colliding with each other

just had a little play there and it seems my wrist likes to rotate outwards slightly on each beat, not sure what that does, but if i try to keep my wrist static it feels all clunky n awkward

if you're still having trouble, lemme know and i'll take a lil vid from my pov and put it up somewhere online for you to have a gander at

G'luck!

P

just because something is simple, doesn't mean it isn't difficult

synndarellaDIAMOND Member
61 posts

Posted:
I took me a while but turns out as long as you can grip them, you are doing exactly what I do - you just need to over exaggerate your wrist movements! If you are doing them same time be over the top when you go up and down and if in split time, exaggerate your left and right movement

Its all in the wrist =D

Sometimes youre ahead, sometimes youre behind. The race is long and in the end, its only with yourself~

nico4141stranger
4 posts

Posted:
My poi have two loops for my first two fingers, do you know how i should holding them for this trick? And should i just squeeze the second poi between my fingers or should i put my finger/fingers into the loop?

PatroclusSILVER Member
spirito vagante
2 posts

Posted:
https://imgur.com/SEDDH

wasn't able to take a shot of the grip in-motion, but that's a static pic of how I hold em

i don't use fingerloops on my sockpoi (or any poi tbh) since the socks themselves are one big loop the way I make em

the upper poi is the one that's normally in my (right) hand, so it's inside the loop. the lower poi is the one I brought into that hand so it's just pinched between my middle and ring finger.

way easier to pinch when it's moving than trying to get your fingers back in the fingerloops. ditto for getting back out of it again (you'll want to be able to shake off the extra one at some point and go back to 2-handed play)

also.. are you trying to start it off from rest with both in one hand?

i find it waaaay easier to start off doing a butterfly in two hands then transfering one poi over while doing the motion

just because something is simple, doesn't mean it isn't difficult

RuzeBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
Starting from rest (kind of) if holding both poi in right hand i spin the top poi outward (to the right). While holding the bottom poi head to make the tether parallel with the ground. When the top spinning poi makes a beat down, i push the bottom poi head down to make a beat also. Then i move my hand in a vertical path up and down. You can also turn this into a split time one handed butterfly by moving your hand in a horizontal path left to right, and even start out that way, but i find that pretty difficult.

I hope i helped

synndarellaDIAMOND Member
61 posts

Posted:
Hiya, sorry so long to reply didn't see this till today and you probably don't need this advice now lol
Basically the switch from two hands to one and back again is so quick you haven't got time to fiddle with the loops so just grab it. It may be you can get a nack going and loop your fingers but I just grab.

Sometimes youre ahead, sometimes youre behind. The race is long and in the end, its only with yourself~