• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Total posts: 8
Posted:I've been in a rut with poi for the last while, and I was hoping someone could point me towards the next logical move.
I do:
2-beat, backwards
3-beat, backwards
Hip/Shoulder reels
Angel Wings
Thread the Needle

All pretty basic. I've been trying to do backward 5-beat but have no real sense of it. Any other suggestions for what to work on next?

"I want to touch the heart of the world and make it smile. I want to be a friend of elves and live in a tree. Or under a hill. I want to marry a moonbeam and hear the stars sing. I dont want to pretend at magic anymore. I want to be magic."

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
Total posts: 4061
Posted:Churlish answer would be how to search:1, 2, 3 threads for your edification.

Actually helpful answer:
If you can do a forward 5bt, the backwards 5bt is the same. Just backwards.

I would suggest windmills (high reels, centered just above your head).

But pretty much whatever you feel like. Try the tutorials here.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Almost again
Total posts: 124
Posted:Just to mention a few suggestions:

windmill, 4-beat, both directions
corkscrew, 4-beat, both directions
butterfly behind your head
butterfly behind your back
4-beat thread the needle
different kinds of stalls and stall combinations (in all the modes)
body wraps and other direction changes

Everytime you learn a new move, new combinations open up to you. After knowing the weaves and your windmill, perhaps go for a fountain.. The list goes on.

...And most importantly at your stage, practice plane control and strive for freedom of movement. Everytime you learn a move, search (atleast) for the following things:
-what different variations are there?
-can it be done in different modes?
-can I turn with it?
-can I do it anywhere around my body? (high, low, to the far sides, with extended arms, with curled up arms, etc...)
-How can I accentuate the move with my body to make it really "pop"?

Total posts: 10
Posted:Learn everything you know the other way, try to transition between as many combinations of them as you can, and watch some videos for inspiration.

playpoi.com has a ton of beginner tutorials with great breakdowns on a lot of the fundamentals. smile

...___-`-___-`-__The most common form of motion in the universe is oscillation_-`-___-`-__...

Total posts: 2
Posted:extensions! and you should definitely learn some stall moves. but make sure you can transition into all of those moves cleanly in a bunch of different ways, and learn to do them fast and slow.

Total posts: 49
Posted:I would say every move forward - backward, left - right.

I've been doing a smaller scale butterfly fountain that gets several ooohs and aaaaahs.

Actually all fountains are tight.

Variation of the two together.

Object Manipulationist, Chain Maille Artisan, Didgeridoo Performer and Teacher
Total posts: 37
Posted:start working on isolations (buzzsaw iso's). Itll take forever to get them down good, so might as well start that track now. Always a crowd pleaser.

I do not have a Soul, . . . I AM a Soul.
I Have a body.