Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
okay so im looking at putting a routine together for my first public burn and had an interesting thought. when looking at choreographing do you personally find music and fit the poi to it, or do you put the poi routine together and find music for it or finally do you go in with a number of poi combinations you want to use and use music to string them together?

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I personally do music that fits what you have a rough vision for, and then build it around that.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Most stuff on choreography I've seen says the dance comes first and should determine the music. I sympathize with this since I think a routine is about making the prop fascinating, and the music is about highlighting the structure of the routine. But personally I don't see any reason you can't start with the music if there's a song that particularly inspires good spinning.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I tend to start with a variety of music, decide roughly what I am going for and then spin to each and see if it works. If it does, I narrow it down a bit more and choose a final song based on what I want to do with the poi.

Of course, part of spinning to each song is blocking out certain sequences that I want to use and seeing how and if they fit in.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

nico_BaeyensSILVER Member
stranger
23 posts

Posted:
for me first public burn all i could here was RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR oooooooohhhhh RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR *STALL* AAAAAAHHH RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

XD

Dancing with the flames,
Fire in our hearts, fire all around
We feel the breathing of the fire, we feel the spirit of the fire,
we hear the rhapsody of the fire’s wild flames…

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah that sounds about right laugh3

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Dark_Dancernewbie
28 posts

Posted:
Music first definitely.

Dancing in the Dark with a spinning light

discowrapsBRONZE Member
stranger
13 posts

Posted:
music then dance and find the tech that fits last

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Fully agreed with discowraps. As far as the audience is considered, techy moves have the least importance. Nobody but other spinners are going to appreciate them properly. So moves should come last. And the dance part will work best if you already have a piece of music to plan it out on.

AmethystRainstranger
2 posts

Posted:
I think I would have to agree with a few of the others here: When I was working as a performer at the local Fests out here, I always made sure to pick my music first. Once I had the music I knew I could move around nicely to, then I would choose with one of my toys to use. [:

Amethyst Rain

"It can't rain all the time..."

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
It depends, but generally, while not the first thing I think about, the music is decided early on as it has a huge effect on the feel of the routine and how you move as a character: not something I want to start thinking about late on!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Gary_CifersSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
For me it's usually been about finding music that makes me wanna spin... I feel lost when i try spinning without music cause i have no rhythm/beat to go off of

Tu Wahinenewbie
39 posts

Posted:
How about you have a couple beats that you like, create some set movements to them, movements that compllment the music and then use whichever you feel like on the day.

Nui atu te mihi ki nga mahi o te po, nga waiata, nga poi, me nga haka taparahi.

RuzeBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
I usually just let the magic happen and improve based upon whatever song comes trough my ipod when i hit shuffle. Only twice have i tried to make a routine, but i picked a random song and built the routine from the song.

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
I'm with Teamo. Only fellow spinners will appreciate the difficulty of some of the more techy poi moves. Anyone will appreciate the music though.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

Man_in_the_maskBRONZE Member
specializes in the potentially insane
130 posts

Posted:
i go music first everytime. if you have something in mind that you know you want to include in your routine before looking into the music, then you can just keep that in mind while looking through your music choices. for instance, i had a burn with a few friends where i knew ahead of time that i wanted to include a specific buzzsaw variant in the routine (partially because i wanted to scare 'em just a little bit. never the best idea to try and give your spotters a bit of a scare btw) so i found a song with characteristics that i could tailor that variant too and just planned around the rest of the song. in reality this tends to come down to personal prefference.
EDITED_BY: Man_in_the_mask (1345580394)

"We all wear masks, and the time comes when we cannot remove them without removing some of our own skin..."

seanjavuBRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
I think i will have to go with Music first then Poi/choreo.

Here is what my troupe does: