LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
I have a few poi questions.
1) What exactly is a straight jacket crosser? is it where both arms are tucked underneath opposite armpits and crosser from that? and if is so, would it be noticeable whether or not you are actually doing a straight jacket crosser if performing with lights in the dark/unlit area.
2) my friend/coworker pois, and hes does this weave, im not sure if its a 3 beat or 2 beat because i didnt see him much, but its as if he does a 2bt/3bt weave on the wall plane, one hand behind the back on his hip and one hand on his hip. the mechanics kinda looked like same direction split time single hip reel. anyone have any idea what this move is and the actual mechanics of this move
3) also another friend of mine was talking bout a poi move that was called the shaolinm idk if he was making it up because ive looked for the shaolin move as the way he described it was interesting, i dont remember it all but he said that i had some of the mechanics, and i was doing split time opposite directing hip reels transitioned to mexican wave some call or i call split time opposite direction shoulder reels. anyone have any mechanics for this one?
thanks guys

EDITED_BY: Jimtucket (1255087284)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
1) It needs to be inverted... So like a barrel roll, but in a crosser.

Cross your arms.. Now grab your poi. Yeah thats it... weird.

No it doesnt look different.

2) Sounds like a waistwrap. Plenty of tutorials kicking about on them. Have a squiz.

3) Not enough information to answer your question... the name is not one commonly used. ^_^

hug

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
1) ah ok sounds little bit more understanding.
2) waistwrap sounds about right but my understanding is like a forward-reverse 3 beat weave behind you.
which it might just be a waistwrap on just the hip
3) hmm ill try and look more into it

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_Son1) It needs to be inverted... So like a barrel roll, but in a crosser.

Cross your arms.. Now grab your poi. Yeah thats it... weird.

No it doesnt look different.

If you get the entry and exit smooth, those look different. Or at least the couple times I have bothered trying they were....

But the moves look the same if someone does not see your body.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Forward reverse?
A waistwrap changes side, so will appear like a forward, reverse, I guess.

And it could look a lot more like a regular btb weave if he's turning his hips a bit when he does it rather than keeping it in a perfect wall plane.

Waistwrap comes in both in front of you and btb flavours. When most people say "waistwrap" they mean the btb one.

Yeah, the entry and exit do look different, but in the dark it won't look any different, really, except that a head will swoop in close to you momentarily before you go into it.

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Once I worked out that it is not really that different, I never bothered trying again, since I was not really liking the move anyway and could not see what to link it to. So hazy on the details. tongue2

The waistwrap that most people mean is a btb 3bt weave done in wallplane, which swaps sides, similar to what most people think of as a fountain. At least I understand it.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I actually find it kind of an unfortunate and annoying terminological problem that moves like the "waist wrap" that sort of poke around one's body are called "wraps", blurring the very real distinction between it and things like spiral wraps, bicep wraps, etc. At least, it's annoying in the video library when I want to see actual wraps and not weave variations... tongue2

But I'm sure I wouldn't be the first to want some kind of taxonomical reform in spinning...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The term waist wrap came straight across from club swinging, no wraps of the sort you're on about there.

But its really the only non wrappy thing called a wrap, so its easy enough to remember.

Theres been a lot of work done on the terminology used in the spinning world and its gotten a lot more precise...

You'll have to get used "waist wraps" though.

hug

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
well when i meant forward to reverse, i basically meant like i believe its called a weave lock out, where you turn your body to switch from forward to reverse/vice versa, i know they fall on your front wall planes and back wall planes, but basically a btb lockout weave is what i mean.
I've come up with another poi questions.
what exactly is tech poi?
maybe a noobish question but im curious to exactly what tech poi definition would be.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Basically stupidly geeky poi. Part of it is looking at what poi do and how they look when viewed from different angles. Try looking for a video called "Me and my Shadow" for a visual of some. wink Currently it seems to be focusing on plane-changing, really complex tangle theory and CAPs. Of course, that is only as I understand it, there is probably more to it.

Hmmm.... It should not be too different. Have not played with it though. Will let you know when I have. Probably in a couple days though. Work is getting silly.

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
hmm ill go check it out.
im still working on moving from basics - intermediate/advanced stuff