• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Help! > monkey fist tightness

Login/Join to Participate

Brian_Calvert
GOLD Member since Oct 2008

stranger

Total posts: 2
Posted:I'm building a set of monkey fist fire poi and wanted to know just how tight the knots should be? Does anyone have any experience with how tight either purchased or self-built heads should be? Thanks,
Brian

Delete Topic

*Geo*
SILVER Member since Jul 2005

*Geo*

Total posts: 108
Posted:when I make them i get a flat head screw driver under each loop on each side and pull it as tight as I can. You need to remember how you tied it and what order the loops go in so that you can slowly work the excess rope out of the knot tho. The tighter you can make it the better smile

Delete

Brian_Calvert
GOLD Member since Oct 2008

stranger

Total posts: 2
Posted:thanks Geo! I'll keep that in mind while I work on them

Delete

JayKitty
GOLD Member since Nov 2004

JayKitty

Mission: Ignition

Total posts: 534
Posted:I just rewicked a set of my own, I found that you want to go tight, but not so much where you distort the shape of the knot and overly compress the wick. Also little dabs of white school glue on the edges help to hold things together.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Delete

the_mods_stole_my_name
SILVER Member since May 2006

the_mods_stole_my_name

travelling without moving

Total posts: 1286
Posted:ha sanybody got any experience with monkeyfists, inside other monkey fists? i've had an idea for firesnakes, which means tying a small monkeyfist, then out of the same piece of wick, tying another larger one over the top. i'm just wondering wether the inside monkeyfist would distort the shape of the outer one at all?

Heilige Scheie, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

Delete

Raoul_Hagenbeek
GOLD Member since Jun 2009

Raoul_Hagenbeek

Pyromancer extraordinair

Total posts: 88
Posted:If you do it correctly then no,

mind you I only have experience with tying these with non-flammable ropes. But my main question would be... why. If you tie a monkeyist around a monkeyfist... It would only add weight and I don't think your flames would be any better. Especially since the internal monkeyfist probably wouldn't have enough oxygen to burn properly.

What is life, without a little risk!

Delete

*Geo*

*Geo*

Posted:I imagine that while the flame would be the same, the burn time would be substatially longer so I could see some benefits. It would be difficult to tie the outer one but it's probably worth a go with some cheap rope first to see if you can make it work

Delete

the_mods_stole_my_name
SILVER Member since May 2006

the_mods_stole_my_name

travelling without moving

Total posts: 1286
Posted:its purely for ease...not for bigger flames or longer burn times, although i think the latter is a given. the idea i have is to tie a small monkey fist at one end of the rope, then loop the rope through a heavy duty o ring, then tie anothe monkey fist around the existing one with the loose end of the rope.....its hard to describe, but in my mind it looks good! lol

Heilige Scheie, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

Delete

aston
SILVER Member since Dec 2007

aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League

Total posts: 4061
Posted:Hmmmm.... Will have to see exactly what you mean.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

JayKitty

JayKitty

Posted:I think a monkey fist in side another monkey fist would be redundant. There are better things to use for a core/resivoir/weight. Cotton has better absorbancy and wood or metal inside has better weight. It could turn out well but is it worth the effort?

Delete

HawkfeatherJY

HawkfeatherJY

Nothing is imposable to a sufficantly talented fool!

Total posts: 156
Posted:Monkey fist sounds very martial arts, Is there any Ties?

Perception is truly in the Eyes of the beholder... So dream on with no Fear. ~Hawkfeather~York~

Delete

Seaspray

Seaspray

stranger by the day

Total posts: 924
Posted:they're martial arts in that a monkey fist in whatever context makes a legitimate weapon... Think they're used in the weapon meteors.

Just a dancer in the dark

Delete

Rouge Dragon
BRONZE Member since Jul 2003

Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here

Total posts: 13215
Posted:The title of this thread cracks me up! laugh3

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Delete

JayKitty

JayKitty

Posted:Its martail arts in the sense that they use it as a practice weight as well. Real weapons have pointy things on the end i think. Meteors also sometimes have bowls of water ing them. There's some crazy videos on youtube.

Delete

*Geo*

*Geo*

Posted:Originally Posted By: the_mods_stole_my_nameits purely for ease...not for bigger flames or longer burn times, although i think the latter is a given. the idea i have is to tie a small monkey fist at one end of the rope, then loop the rope through a heavy duty o ring, then tie anothe monkey fist around the existing one with the loose end of the rope.....its hard to describe, but in my mind it looks good! lol

I think I get what you mean but you may have a problem using the same diameter rope for 2 different sized monkey fists. if you tie the monkey fist in the usual way, your rope diameter should be roughly 1/4 of the core width. so if you're tying the knot and then using the same rope to tie another one around it, you'll need to experiment with the number of loops in each direction as the standard 4 loops won't look that good.

Originally Posted By: Rouge DragonThe title of this thread cracks me up! laugh3
my mind mustn't be tuned in to the gutter this morning cause I don't get it confused2

Delete