Forums > Social Chat > Lighting up for the 1st time

Login/Join to Participate

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
So I finally got round to buying some fire poi the other day, I have had a play around with them unlit and they feel very natrual, flow nicely and are comfortable to use. I have got the HoP fire saftey DVD which I have watched and taken all the info into account, and I feel confident enough in my skills to finally light up.

The plan is to spin them at my friends birthday party that is going to be out in a field (a small outdoor party/gathering), quite a few friends will be there (but not a massive crowded event), so am confident that if anything goes wrong there will be people around to assist me.

Does anyone have any last minute advice I should take into account before I jump into it? Anything you wish you had been told before you lit up?

Cheers =]

Sam

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
You might want to do a bit of a search, TSA, theres heaaaps of these kind of threads out there.

Think VERY carefully about where you put your fuel dump, though.

Think about where people are likely to be/be walking and put it nowhere near that, but you also don't want it where you are going to be performing either.

I usually only do one burn at that kind of thing, so I'll usually do all that by my car and pack up the dump up and leave it in the car. Spinning off(into a spin off bucket) essential.

hug

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
^^^ thorough spin off is essential
don't spin anywhere near the fuel or too close to the crowd, close the lid of the fuel supply and have a wet towel ready.

good luck smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
maybe have one of yer friends watch the HoP video so at least one other person kinda knows whats going on with safety-ing

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
wear a hat and where possible fire retardant clothing.

Remember stop, drop and roll wink

DO NOT GET DRUNK. this one is very important. I've seen too many drunk people hurt themselves hug

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:
All of the above.
Don’t drink.
Tell anyone with a camera what you will do to them if they use a rangefinder and flash.
No matter how much people might egg you on don’t do anything that you don’t feel happy doing.
Enjoy!
wave

bentforkxGOLD Member
Should I be spinning around my poi, or should my poi be spinning around me???
42 posts

Posted:
Don't let the drunks light up and spin your gear either!! You don't know their skill level nor their sobriety....

Spinning makes the world go round

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Cheers guys smile

I will be taking my glo's and socks too, so anyone who does want to have a play around can have a bash on them, but essentially it's just me using the fire, unless someone there can show that they are skilled and responcible enough with the others to use my fire, it's just me.

I definitely will not be drinking before using them, and I certainly will not be letting anyone who is drunk near them. As bentforkx said, I don't know their skill or soberiety, and I would blame myself if anyone else were to get hurt through using my equipment with my permission as I know better, where as non spinners just see it as a bit of fun waving fire around (especially when drunk).

Wont be trying anything new or anything I don't feel confident with either. Cheers everyone smile I will look through the search for other advice given. Will let you know how it goes, hopefully someone will get some nice pics too smile

Thanks for all the advice, I can't wait :D:D:D

Am so tempted to go out on my own tomorrow night and light up... But I know better than that smile

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yay to no sex before marriage grin

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomyay to no sex before marriage grin

I wouldn't go that far shocked

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: T-S-A
Am so tempted to go out on my own tomorrow night and light up... But I know better than that smile

you are wink

Sir Nuggit IIThe sequel
26 posts

Posted:
[remembers a time he spun in nothing but a pair of boxers and a beanie hat]

All of the advice is sound, and I'm by no means a pyropro but I have seen first-hand what happens when you do respect the fire! My mate was set on fire at Reading festival once because the stupid [insert generic insult here] didn't "spin off" first and we were unaware of his "performance"!!! Next thing we knew, my mate's back is all alight - luckily she was wearing a hat otherwise I would have had to have given him "the good news"!!

Another top tip about the booze too AND your point about taking "training" sets for people to try is great.

Have fun and love the noise the flames make when they're rushing passed your ears smile

Pull out my pin, throw me in to a room and see what happens!

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Well, I did it. I loved every second of it. I did a practice spin in the day light, which was very intimidating, especially the noise. I lit up again later on in the dark, totally sober and had a great time, but was still a little nevous about it. I hit myself once or twice, but was fully covered so wasn't an issue. There was also a fire breather around who understood fire saftey which was reassuring to know.

I lit up again on the beach a couple of days later and was a lot more confident, and realised that hitting myself wasn't going to instantly make me erupt into flames. Tried a lot more things than just weaves and flowers... Orbitals and buzzsaws are amazing with fire, they look great and felt like a massive achievement after getting past the first nerves.

I think I am now addicted to fire and will be playing with it more often smile

Thanks for all the advice guys... It really helpped a lot, and boosted my confidence knowing that I knew what I was doing (a little more than I would had I not asked) smile
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1246938240)