OystaSpinner
8 posts

Posted:
I have just stumbled across this amazing site, and wish I had known of it's existence a long time ago. I started spinning fire poi about 8 years ago. My first try was with them lit - needless to say, I got quite used to getting burned.

I live north of Auckland in New Zealand. I am 32, and after reading through other intros, I must admit I feel a bit old.

The best thing I have learnt on here so far has to be the sock poi! (If only I knew then what I know now...) And, I am now spending my time learning the basic moves, as I seem to have taught myself the tricky stuff first lol.

Movement- I also use staff, belly dance and do yoga. By day, I'm a teacher (and a learner)

Favourite books - Huxley's Island, Conrad's Heart of Darkness, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Tom Robbins's Another Roadside Attraction, Knots by R.D Laing, and anything by Umberto Eco

Favourite films (mainly old school war and gore) - Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Thin Red Line, Evil Dead, Haloween, Friday 13th

Music - I show my age in this department, Jeff Buckley, Tori Amos, Cure,The The, Beck, Thievery Corporation, Faithless (the list goes on) But am also a drum and bass freak from way back.

Godzilla - hands down. Has the added bonus of being prehistoric - surely experience has to count for something.

Vegemite on Vogels Yummmmm

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Welcome!

If you have been spinning on your own, maybe you have some shiny new things to offer, wander in to the tech section and have a look.

And 32 is not old. Even if it does mean you were born in the 1970s.... tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

PuffSILVER Member
The Magic Dragon
134 posts

Posted:
Hey there!
You should most certainly come to Mission Bay on Sunday nights. Bring some Thievery Corp, it will be much appreciated smile
EDITED_BY: Puff (1238368721)

Let my words, dear friends, be treasures. Weightless golden butterflies that hang before your eyes for seconds, then are gone. But the dust of truth and beauty that their wingbeats leave behind will settle on your soul and make you happy. - Edward Monkton

OystaSpinner
8 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the warm welcome guys :-)

Aston I may be a 70s baby, but my soul is ageless! I've discovered the tutorials, and at the moment I'm teaching myself how to do the 'basics' it seems I kinda started more towards the other end, and taught me sum tricky stuff first...

Thanks Puff for the heads up about the Mission Bay nights, I will have to check those out for sure - Thievery is sooo good to spin to huh

PuffSILVER Member
The Magic Dragon
134 posts

Posted:
Oh most definitely. Tonight we are spinning in coxs bay near westmere if you feel like joining.

Let my words, dear friends, be treasures. Weightless golden butterflies that hang before your eyes for seconds, then are gone. But the dust of truth and beauty that their wingbeats leave behind will settle on your soul and make you happy. - Edward Monkton

OystaSpinner
8 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the invite Puff - I live in Warkworth, so its a bit tricky getting myself organised. I will definitely join you guys Sunday week tho... I am able to attend every second Sunday. Shame I didn't know about you lot sooner!

PuffSILVER Member
The Magic Dragon
134 posts

Posted:
Oh wow I grew up there! Small world

OystaSpinner
8 posts

Posted:
How funny - I think we are living in each others towns of growing uppedness (ex Aucklander / well shoreite here)...ever decreasing circles....

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
It's a small world after all....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:

"I live north of Auckland in New Zealand. I am 32, and after reading through other intros, I must admit I feel a bit old. "

pfffft - 32, you're a spring chicken mate

there are way older people here old nana

ubbrollsmile