PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
OK I am going to buy some fire poi soon or make sum.. but I'm afraid tht I'll sock meself round the head when theyre alight.
Ne particular clothes I shud wear in case n shud I do summat with my worryable flamable hair?

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:
Snowy

Don't be too worried about hitting yourself with them, so long as you spin 'em off you'll be really pushed to set yourself on fire or burn yourself.
Obviouly flammable fashion is straight out of the window(which means half my kex are non starters). The one thing I would suggest is wearing a bob hat to put your hair in. If I'm particularly paranoid I damp it down a bit aswell. Other than that I suppose it's common sense really, nothing too flappy etc. I just wear jeans and T normally, or if I'm feeling brave...no top at all
But then I start scaring off the punters

boing...boing...When the naive man admits his naivete, he is no longer naive.Thus, all people are regarded by society as either ignorant or a liar.Wonders never cease, as long as you never cease to wonder.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
No synthetics I take it then.

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
I always spin fire, and when I'm not doing that I practice with tennis balls. I've lit myself on fire only ever twice, I think I'll share my wisdom.

If you got long hair, wear a bandana or hat... If you can't do that, wet your hair. I've known people who've burned long blonde surfer hair. 'Twas a shame really. I wear a hat made outta Hemp, covers my entire head.

another thing is never spin fire alone, have a buddy or two around, cause you never know. Have a fire extinguisher handy, or a bucket of sand or water too. Thankfully I've never had to use any of these on myself, or my buddies... phew!

Also if your making wicks or buying wicks try and get them with as little metal material on the outside. I know I've been stupid enough to tie my old wicks with wire so they wouldn't fray, and man did it hurt when it touched my skin. Metal + Fire + Skin = branding

the kind of clothes I'd recommend are no clothes at all. but since you can't be naked and spin fire, some fire resistant overalls would work nicely... bit expensive, but would only burn from something like Napalm! cheaper alternatives are tightly knit cotton and wool materials. If you gotta wear flamable clothes, drench them in water or something.

and one last thing... Just practice a bunch, and you should be more than fine and dandy when you light up.

Hope you get something outta this

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Course I'll practise, I'll only do moves I am competent with when I do fire poi.

tatttySILVER Member
158 posts

Posted:
i wouldnt worry too much, i paniced when i first lit my fire poi, but ive hit myself enough times now to realise it doesnt hurt and as long as ur not silly, u dont get burnt.
the first few times i practiced i wore all denim, (i read somewhere on this site that denim takes the longest to catch alight!)
I usually wear a denim 'fisherman style' hat too which covers most of my hair!
Good luck!
big hugs xx

Make your own happiness by making others happy [Ikeda]

*they used to read me stories, as though my dreams were boring*

Chimeramember
35 posts

Posted:
I'm not a poi expert by any stretch of the imagination. However from personal experience I've found that catching oneself on fire is unlikely. I often wear either jeans and a tight t-shirt or (don't laugh) a leather skirt when playing with fire. The thing I'd worry about most would be hair. I've burned mine a few times. In fact I was blowing fire (just an impromptu thing and I wasn't really thinking, I also know it is a dangerous stupid thing to do) and burned my bangs off a couple months ago. It didn't even hurt but I did look odd for a while. If I'm thinking I won't go near fire without a wet scarf wrapped around my head. Other than that I'll just repeat the advise of having a friend or two nearby just encase.
I do want to ask has anyone ever used a bucket of water? I keep seeing that advise but have never had one. Of course I have a fire extinguisher I've never used but it is probably still a good idea.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I had fire training @ work... I am afraid of the CO2 extenguishers cos me manager froze his hand....
Dont like him tho.. lol

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
The point here is not "if" I hit myself, its more along the lines of

"when" I hit myself becasue the bottom line is you "will" hit yourself .

Don't worry about it , so long as you don't douse yourself in fuel you should be ok.

Don't wear massivly baggy cloths as this can get in the way. Not to sure

about hair casue I aint got any but I know people who wet it, alternativly, wear a hat.

Put it this way. I, like many people on this board, have been doing fire a long time.

Yesterday I pulled my fire poi out (having not done it for a while )

had an unlit spin and ended up with a few black smears on my body . It

happens, don't worry, be happy .

hope it goes well.

:garbo:

be excellent to each other: safe:

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
Your safety

Wear tight fitting natural fiber clothing. Conceal or wet long hair. Know where all the safety equipment is. Have someone checking for your own safety (eg. you may be unaware that your back is on fire). Make sure the other safety personnel know what to do in case of an emergency. Fire blanket, slighly damp blanket, appropriate fire extinguishers and first aid kit.

Safety of others

Be aware of any local fire bans. Be aware of local fire safety regulations and permits if required. Do not use fire on a flammable surface. Keep others out of the twirling zone. Mark this area and have barriers if possible. Have someone be in charge of keeping onlookers safe. Keep unused fuel well away from the performance. Have fire safety equipment readily available and know how to use it.

direct quote from the home of poi safety page

[ 31. May 2003, 02:51: Message edited by: ivan.. ]

thats right i look like an albino ape that has had a bad day.. go ahead say something stupid... i dare ya !

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
normal spinny things are just the same as spinny things with fire on. the major mistake is that people are really really really scared because they think that even is they brush themselves withe the spinny things with fire on and they think they will immeadiatly burts into flames and die.

just think of them a normal spinny things and it will all be good.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
It didnt help that I watched Costa Nostra last night when there was a scene where a guy caught fire... eek!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Snowy... the best advice is to find someone in youre area that knows what's up. This has been discussed before if you're really curious. Fabric choice is important. I'm a big fan of denim. I used to wear a bandana for my hair but now have very short hair which would just fizzle if it caught... embarassing but not particularly dangerous.

And just don't do tricks you can't do well.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Nathdaninja, please don't tell people its hard to set yourself on fire when you don't know any of the surrounding circumstances. for example, you said jeans and a t-shirt. Frayed jeans are almost certain to catch fire around the frays if hit, and t-shirt transfer material can melt directly onto people skin!

When someone asks a safety question, please be as specific as possible, otherwise we could inadvertently contribute to someones injury of even death.

Snowy Isle...please check out directly the SAfety Page - Clothing as Ivan has already provided.

also, use your own judgement as well, if someone says something her eon the BB, be aware that their info may not be correct (even mods) and be VERY careful of anyone who says something is safe.

Fire is soemthing that has a mind of its own, all we can ever do is REDUCE risk, we can never eliminate it altogether.

There are hundreds of older threads on this clothing issues and lots of other safety concepts.

The one i urge you to take more seriously than any of the above is to have a safety watching you, who knows how to use the safety equipment. Also, NEVER SPIN ALONE, and make sure your safety equipment consists of at least one fire extinguisher suitable for oil, electrical and kitchen fires.

Some people may tell you they have never had any trouble while spinning, but, would you not wear a seat belt when driving because you had never had an accident yet?

Sorry for the rant...but please take car eof yourself and those around you.

Best of luck!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:
oops, rapped kncukles for me...and rightly so I think. I was trying to get across the aspect of people being too apprehensive of it at first. But point well made Mr Inferno. I do practise all of the above, and should have been a bit more specific really.

I especially agree with having a watcher, it's absolutely essential, as quite often you don't really have a clue what's going on outside your sphere of fire, plus the setting yourself on fire and not noticing thing.

boing...boing...When the naive man admits his naivete, he is no longer naive.Thus, all people are regarded by society as either ignorant or a liar.Wonders never cease, as long as you never cease to wonder.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
my advice... spin fire whilst walking on water. Helps when you catch light.

Otherwise have someone around with a blanket or smt. Personally its pretty bad, but I dont bother, I usually just bring along my paraffin oil cream stuff for burns...

I wouldnt trust people w buckets of water, they tend to throw them at you regardless...

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I had a bucket of water in my vicinty... wasnt soaked @ all.