Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Sheffield Poi in the Park Birthday 2008

Login/Join to Participate

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone, it's getting close to that time of year again: Sheffield's PitP Birthday is nearly upon us and i need a bit of feedback from the wider community about dates and numbers for booking overnight accommodation..

Initially we were planning to have PitP Birthday on Saturday October 18th, HOWEVER, it appears this is the same weekend as Durham Juggling Convention..

Now, how many people that would want to come up to Sheffield will be in Durham that weekend? If there are lots of people who would want to come up, but are in Durham instead, I will move it back to the 25th of October instead so everyone can come to both.. :-)

All who are interested please let me know ASAP as i need to confirm dates with some of the acts who will be performing during the day... This year we are looking to have a variety act show during the day and a fire show in the evening, thanks to assistance from Swamp Circus.

Please either reply to this thread or email me on:

sheffpip@googlemail.com

Tell me which date would be preferable for you, along with the number of people coming up if you would be wanting to crash in the hall for the night..

Ideally I want to confirm the date this weekend so get your info in quick please.

Peace n Pineapples

Si

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Either date is good for me, and there will be two of us coming along most probably.

Missed last year and missing brissle, NOT missing this one haha grin

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I'm in, and I promise either not to snore, or if I do, I would be willing to be kicked into the little room/upstairs wink

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone out there, it's once again time for 'Poi in the Park: Sheffield' to have it's birthday bash and we want all of YOU to be there with us to enjoy the day..!

DATE NOW CONFIRMED: October 18th in Endcliffe Park, off the Hunters Bar Roundabout & Eccleshall Road in Sheffield; We will be holding the 9th PitP:Sheffield Birthday Bash from 12pm/midday.

This year's birthday will be a special one, as it will be my last event as official organiser after 4 very enjoyable years of running things..

It will also be a special day as we aim to make PitP:s Birthday this year a taster of what is to come in 2009, where we hope to turn the event into an official, funded 'one-day festival' similar in magnitude to 'Peace in the Park', which i will continue to co-run along with PitP:S's new organiser, J.P.

SO, what's going to be happening on the 18th then? We will be starting nice and early at 12:00 midday in order to get more daytime fun out of the day.

At 1pm we will be having some beginners workshops in loads of disciplines, including poi, staff, juggling, plate spinning, diabolo, unicycling, stilt-walking, balance, acrobalance and more. These workshops will be provided by the friendly people at Swamp Circus Trust, Englands longest running contemporary circus organisation, with help from volunteers from The Flying Teapots and Sheffield Hallam's Juggling Society.

At 2:30pm we will be having our first show of the day, which will be a mixture of traditional and contemporary circus and 'twirling' to awe and amaze you. This will showcase local acts from Sheffield and Yorkshire, both professional and up-coming..

After the show we will have a few hours for free spinning, making new friends, eating haribo and all those other things we all love to do, while we prepare things for the fire show when it gets dark..

About 4:30pm when its dark the fire show will begin. We have a new choreographed performance by Fyrotechniks, featuring spinners from The Flying Teapots Society; This will be followed by individual performances by various local performers and will then lead into renegade performances from our guests from across the country.

Once all the fire has burnt out we will be making our way back to the evening's venue (location TBA) where people are free to relax and continue on at their own pace for the remainder. There will be plenty of fun and games continuing on into the night, and possibly a return for those hilarious past-times: sleeping bag juggling and midnight buckaroo..!

We will have a venue for people to sleep over for the night, so those of you traveling up for the day don't need to rush off in the evening and miss out on any of the fun..! :-) As always, this is the only part of the day where we ask for a contribution to cover the cost of the venue. As yet we do not have a definite price for this, but it will be no more than £4 per person, and possibly even free dependent on funding..

Anyone wishing to sleep over in the hall please email me at:

sheffpip@googlemail.com

Please tell me your name and how many people will be staying the night, along with any requests such as parking info..

If anyone needs any further details which I may have missed out, please email me on the address above. I will give out my mobile number on this page closer to the date in case anyone needs to get in contact on the day for whatever reason..

Peace n Pineapples

Si

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, is anyone driving to this? My mates have pulled out and Huddersfield > Sheffield can be tricky. I can get to anywhere roundabouts - leeds, halifax, bradford etc, and I'm happy to put in for petrol.

TBH its more important on the way back on sunday as I can get a train on the saturday but its a bus/wait/train thing on sunday...

Thanks!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I don't suppose anybody is driving from yorkshire down towards Bristol way a few days after this, are they? angel I fancy visiting Friends in Hull, and it woul save me loads of money if there was someone already driving...

thought it might be worth a shot... wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone.

Just a last minute update for all of you who are planning to attend this year.

Buses running from the station up to the park are as follows: No. 65, 272 & 218 all run on a regular basis from the travel interchange, just to the right of the station out of the main exit.

As far as the schedule is concerned, if the weather is good then things will be running as planned on the flyers. We will be spinning during the day in Endcliffe Park as normal, then going to the hall where we can leave bags and other equipment, and the fire show will be held in Weston Park (a few minutes walk from the hall) for ease of access should the weather not be fantastic by then.

If the weather is bad we have the option of going to the hall from 5pm, and will have the daytime show inside and then venture out for fire in the evening if the weather allows.

Any problems running up to, or on the day, give me a shout on 07732084463.

Also, we will be looking for people who might be up for doing renegade performances during the daytime show as some of the artists still have not confirmed.. If you have a routine you would like to do please let me know in advance or ASAP on the day, and you will be rewarded with food and beer.. :-)

Other than that, i wish you all a safe journey here and look forward to seeing you in the park on Saturday. :-)

Peace n pineapples

Si

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Will Phil Cullens be there? wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Well that was fun... There's nothing like doing battle with nutters at 8.20am to get you fit for the day wink

Too sleepy to think of other things to say just now. Was one of the most varied PiPs to date though I think...

Meh

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Come on man! The whole weekend was a great show and there is very little point in mentioning the small blemish of the beauty that is PitP! (Although it did get me hot under the collar watching you lay into those peons.)

Props for Si for the military-grade logistics and management! Complete stranger to the land, us scousers always felt we were in safe hands as we were led around the city by the guides. Contingency plan in the event of poor weather was very well implemented! Shame we missed the workshops earlier on during the day because our two drivers had a "hedonistic" time the night before.

Couldn't quite remember their names but the synchronized double staff spinners at the fire shows completely blew me away! There were so many "Oh no, they didn't!" moments, it was insane! The timing were just perfect and the early "overlaps" were so precise! Turning a drop into a cheeky leg flick pass to the partner was just pure style! A well paced and stylish routine and completely inspiring in every way! By far one of the best double act I have seen!

And I hope the aftermaths didn't get too much out of hand in the end. PitP seems to have a long clean history with the church and I hope they would be understanding. The situation was dealt with quickly and no one was seriously hurt in the process, again props to the organizers for that! Also I have managed to get two pictures (quite blurred tho) of the two gatecrashers if that would help with the prosecution.

Again, thank you to Si and everyone for all their hard work for making this happen! Hopefully I will see you guys again in the near future!
EDITED_BY: Loewan (1224454467)

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Oh, just a minor suggestion: Would it is possible to provide the postcode for different key locations in possible future meets? Would really come in handy cos at one point we were separated from the main car convoy and kind of struggled in finding the church hall.
EDITED_BY: Loewan (1224454626)

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
i REALLY enjoyed seeing people i hadn't see for a while - i was missing people grin really good weekend!! Thanks Si smile

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: LoewanOh, just a minor suggestion: Would it is possible to provide the postcode for different key locations in possible future meets? Would really come in handy cos at one point we were separated from the main car convoy and kind of struggled in finding the church hall.

OK, I have found the map on the Facebook group shortly after I came back to Liverpool. Mybad. tongue2