Forums > Social Chat > calling all cambridge people and anyone else who can help

Login/Join to Participate

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
okay guys so about a month ago I dropped out of my social work degree and started the hunt for a job. Well I got one as a gymboree teacher in cambridge. I'm currently living in norwich so this requires me to move to cambridge in september so I'm now on the hunt for a place to live.

I need help....seriously. I have never done anything like this before I have NO clue what I need to be looking for, what I need to watch out for, the general pitfalls of looking for places to live. I also don't know about the areas of cambridge, turns out there's about 50 areas that are IN cambridge...but not actually cambridge. What are they like? What are the areas that I need to avoid living in? Stuff like that.

Also any general advice about moving out, starting on your own all that jazz would be greatly appreciated thanks. smile

Thanks for any help you can give guys

p.s. I am SO excited about this job!!!!!!! biggrin

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
When we first moved over here we were staying in Cambridge, with my boyfriends sister. She lives in Longstanton which is about 20mins or so by bus from central Cambridge. Its a nice little village, but I think it would be best to have a car to live there. There is one pub and on club and one corner store, and not much else apart from houses.
Busess are every hour untill about 6pm and then there is about 3 or 4 spaced out untill about 11pm (we found that out the hard way when a driver told us service up until 11pm and twice in a row we were waiting for over an hour before we relised it wasnt coming)
Thats all i can help you with sorry, we were only there for 2 weeks

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Hi Rin, just randomly found this, where depends on where your going to be working, how far you want to travel, if you have a car etc. If you want to live in cambridge itself the mill road area is ok and not tooooo pricy as cambridge goes, I'd tend to avoid the arbury and kings hedges areas if I were you (although that may be my local bias talking as Ive never lived there). If you find a place and want a locals perspective on the area feel free to drop me a PM and I'll tell you what I think smile

Don't forget to come to camcircus (www.camcircus.org) when your here smile

Motley

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
thanks guys oh my god I've sent so many e-mails out about potential places to live!!! I've got a neat little list about all the different places just in case I hear something back. I'll have to have a car cos I'll be driving all over and around cambridge for my job (I get to influence young minds bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!)

camcircus will have to wait until I have money to spare :P

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
OMG Rin, just saw this!

Yeah like Tom says avoid Arbury and King's Hedges, Mill Road and the areas around Cherry Hinton Road are meant to be ok and affordable-ish, also maybe somewhere off Newmarket Road is possible?

Really your best bet is to get some like-minded people to live with and rent a house together, that will be your best chance to get a reasonable rent (blame the bloody London commuters frown )

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
 Written by :rin_666

thanks guys oh my god I've sent so many e-mails out about potential places to live!!! I've got a neat little list about all the different places just in case I hear something back. I'll have to have a car cos I'll be driving all over and around cambridge for my job (I get to influence young minds bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!)

camcircus will have to wait until I have money to spare :P

Camcircus is like £3 a week, I'm sure you can scrape that together smile Anyways if you need any help just drop me a line, and let me know when your in town so we can go for a welcome drink smile

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
NB: camcircus is currently on Parker's Piece at the usual time, and free!

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
GAH!!!! no one wants me to move in cos I'm not there until sept and they all want someone "ASAP"...looks like it's a last minute hunt for a place to live then :P.

Colfu and I were on parker's piece earlier this week and now I have some fairy wing shaped sunburn where my hair made a nice dip in the sunburn :P and just gotten my first training day on the 7th august, it's getting closer and I'm SO EXCITED!!!!!!

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
SQUEEEEEE!!!!! I found a place!!!!! I found a place!!!And they're actually willing to save the room for me until september!!...as you can probably tell from all the exclamation marks I'm REALLY excited about it! everything's AWESOME at the moment!!

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
And the move is on! Roll on 22nd september!!! Believe me it can not come fast enough, if I could move now no one here would be able to see me for dust!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
wooh! go rin!

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
yeah we met rellizate weren't you the guy with the wire wool at poi in the punt this year?