If You Cannot Log on to Your Router
These steps solve most of the problems with logging on to routers.
1. Connect a computer and a router directly with an Ethernet cable, putting an end in one of the router's LAN ports. Check that both ends are secure.
2. Check the Internet LED is lit. If it is not, troubleshoot the light status, as explained in the manual.
3. Check that the LEDs for the ports with cables are lit. If they are not, try moving the cable to a different port. If there are still no lights, then troubleshoot the light status, as explained in the manual.
4. Check the LED on the Ethernet adapter is lit. If it is not, then troubleshoot the adapter, do not continue with this document. If the Ethernet adapter was not made by NETGEAR, contact the adapter's maker.
5. Select Start > Run. Type cmd. Type ping 192.168.1.1. If there is a message "Request timed out", type ping 192.168.0.1. If that also has a "Request timed out" message, then your computer is not making a connection to the router.
6. Otherwise, your computer is connected to the router:
* Make sure proxies are not enabled. If using Internet Explorer, select Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings. Uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN....".
* Delete offline contents. Select Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files. Select Delete all offline content, and click OK. (This is to clear any possible previous router log on page.)
* Try accessing with a different computer, or with the Netscape browser, if you have it.
* Delete cookies. WARNING. Do not do this if it's possible Web sites you visit need cookie information such as your logins and passwords.
7. Power off the router, and power it back on again.
8. If you still cannot log on to the router, then do a hard reset on the router. (Described in Forgotten or Lost Router Password.)
9. If you know how, check the computer's IP address and DHCP. The IP should be in the 192.168.0.x range, and DHCP should be enabled.
10. If you still cannot log on, contact Customer Support. For email customer support, click here.