Forums > Introductions > New Poi Fan Needing advice

Login/Join to Participate

PoimoverSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone!

I am bran new to poi and have got some basics now under my belt and got so hook on such a simple idea! I guess most of the greatest things are very simple ideas!

Current skills :

3 beat Weave - Forward and Backward
5 Beat Weave - Forward
Butterfly - Forward and Behind the Head
Split Butterfly
Thread The Needle - Forward

What is the next thing thats best to learn and is it always a good idea to learn moves in as many different directions as possible?

I look forward to your replys!

Nick
Poi Newb

barjediSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
i am a staff spinner mainly, but i just received my poi about a week or so ago and i love them. much easier than the staff (which breaks down) to carry and not as threatning when pulled out. as i work in a theme park and security can have issues if you are spinning a "big stick" around in the break area or at the outdoor bar for that matter.

i gues my point is this, i seem to be picking up moves pretty easy also. who knew balls on a string would be so much fun
EDITED_BY: barjedi (1213467642)

PoimoverSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
Yea and damn does it hurt your nuts when your learning a weave! Self inflicted pain too!

barjediSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
well i wasn't going to go there but i know exactly how you feel!!

PoimoverSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
aving real difficulties with the reverse thread the needle, just ant seem to rack it! any advice if youve cracked it ?

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
I'd say next would be transferring from forward to backwards weave, then adding in windmills and flowers in the middle.

That is if you know simple spinning same time forwards with changes bth, btb and in front...

Have you been following the poi tutorials?

fire.chefcrazy mofo
99 posts

Posted:
i remember when i first started poi always hit you in 2 places the nuts and the head both can be painfull especially when you start putting a lot of speed in. can you turn when spinning yet coz i found that was the next step for me when you turn you naturaly end up going bakwards let the momentum work for you

Yo Yo Yo motherfcukers

barjediSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
nick woolsy (play poi) has some good tutorials on transitions from forward to backwards weaves and such

PoimoverSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
i have mastered the forward to bacwards 3 beat weave natasqi took ages but im there now.
Im learning windmills and flowers so it seems like im on the right track!
i have seen alot of the tutorials but my comp is no where near my garden so its hard to remember.
I can turn whilst spinning aswell fire.chef, how long should you wait before moving onto fire ? Did you bother with the safety suits or just get burnt alot!
Thanks barjedi, i will look into that!

marie watsonstranger
1 post

Posted:
hey im quite new to poi , but can do a few moves , i e giant butterfly and 2 beat , wanna hook up and learn with somone , u the nearest to me , banstead ? im in sutton look forward to hearing from ya, chow for now amigo