PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Hey All,

well it looks like a major oil company has changed its tune from;

"Technology will solve our oil supply issues" to

"um actually, its going to get scarcer"

and some academic has said that peak oil has 'crept up on us' which I think is very funny, because the first discussions of peak oil were like 50 years ago.

read about it here;

https://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/01/30/2149569.htm

Interesting bit for me is this;

"He says the situation has "snuck up on us" and the increasing scarcity of oil will cause great changes in the way people live.

"It's very important. I mean things like layouts of cities and future plans all have to take this sort of thing into account," he said.

"I mean if you look at a city like Los Angeles, if the supply of gasoline became tight, it'd be a big problem, and the same problem, smaller in lots of other places.

"Where you have work at point A, residence at point B, shops at point C and they're all miles apart."

He says most Australian cities would face the same problem."

Anyone who has watched "The End of Suburbia" would be aware of these issues - give it a watch if you can get your hands on it

https://www.endofsuburbia.com/

Josh

EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1202940050)

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Guess I'm a paranoid nutter then... wink

I'm not buying any arguments about who or how the cut the data cables, but I don't buy that it was a ship anchor. Check out this well written article....

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Maybe you are... wink

Why do you discount the idea that the cable(s) might have been cut by an anchor?

I'll see your blog entry

And raise you this one

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Stout

Written by : newgabe

*Conspiracy theories* is such an interesting phrase. It makes it sound like *conspiracy* is the domain of paranoid nutters seeing unreal connections in the ether.

They are actually..

Conspiracies start out as conspiracy theories with the search for any real evidence that might prove, or disprove the validity of the theory but with most ( all? ) of the CTs we run across in popular culture people are more interested in making stuff up in order to prove the existence of a conspiracy.

Take Richard Gage for instance, and his nefarious "group" Gage is a proponent of the controlled demolition theory, which is just a part of the whole 9/11 MIHOP CT, which is a part of the whole NWO CT...culminating in the Illuminati CT. Let's toss in the lizard people CT too, just for completeness.

It only takes a few minutes to peruse gages website...ooooo, an architect ( and engineers ) pushing MIHOP..looks like serious stuff. Then, maybe you watch Loose Change, a couple of hours..and gather further "evidence" so, in one evening you walk away BELIEVING that somebody, other than the hijackers, brought down the twin towers and WTC 7.

Problem is...it takes hours and hours and hours of research to objectively examine the CD CT and not too many people are willing to do this. If you do take the time, then you're basically forced to challenge your beliefs and eventually discard them in favour of reason. CD is completely implausible, even from a "why bother?" standpoint and the best description I've ever run across concerning Gage and his group ( hey, I know people from another board who completely misrepresented themselves as architects or engineers and joined Gages group, just to see if he'd verify their credentials...he didn't ) is "stupid in a suit"

So he has 200+ "professional" supporters....that's like 0.0001% of all architects and engineers...big whoop.

There's enough real world...world ending scenarios out there ( like global warming and nuclear proliferation ) that we don't need idiots like Gage ( and Ruppert ) peddling us their nonsense in order to build their careers on it.

For some really hilarious 9/11 stupidity...Google Dr. Judy Wood.

and while we're on it

David Icke is good for some serious belly laughs too.

9/11 is a separate issue entirely to peak oil, which is guaranteed to happen given the current set of circumstances regarding oil - increasing demand, finite supply - ie unless we develop an infinite supply of oil (see biofuels thread) eventually peak oil will happen & it's just a matter of when (which is still entirely open for debate, I really do hope we have as much fossil oil as the major energy suppliers say we do so I can continue to live as an energy glutton until I retire).

While we're on the subject, however, all you've done is poke fun at the conspiracy theorists who do raise some very good points. Unless you want to point me in the direction of something that entirely discredits the 'CT' on a logical/scientific basis, rather than just laughing at the paranoid nutters, then I'll continue to have my doubts.
And by the way a theory is a hypothesis that has passed every test to which it has been subjected to date, so by gifting them that name you're admitting they do have some credibility. /pedant

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Hi Geoff

Whether 911 is connected to peak oil is really a matter of perspective. The connection can be made by viewing the two as part of a larger overall conspiracy...think NWO.

When I see links to Richard gage and Micheal Ruppert, I figure one of two things has happened. Either we have a hard core conspiracy theorist trying to sell us the goods...or....most likely.....someone whose seen a website, or seen a video and taken this "information" to heart and failed to run down the factuality ( or accuracy ) of those interesting points you refer to.

I don't buy that peak oil is a CT. It really depends on where you get your information, and which information you trust. As far as i can tell, peak oil is just "one of those topics" that we need to keep in mind while we explore the validity of "alternative" energy sources.

Unfortunately, the real meaning of the word theory doesn't apply when used in conjunction with the word conspiracy. In the case of CTs, the word theory can be taken to mean "making stuff up"

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
Peak oil is economic fact, it will happen one day unless we either replace or increase the supply of oil. It may not peak all at once, or globally - as countries increasingly hold onto resources rather than exporting there could be many smaller localised peaks.

The only things that are really questionable are when it's going to happen (until recently the major oil companies have been saying not for a long time), and whether the announcement by shell is an attempt to inflate prices.

Full text of the announcement by Shell

Most importantly: "After 2015, easily accessible supplies of oil and gas probably will no longer keep up with demand."

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Again...a matter of perspective.

Written by

Most importantly: "After 2015, easily accessible supplies of oil and gas probably will no longer keep up with demand."

The key words there being "easily accessible" which is really what *most* people are talking about when they refer to peak oil.

Form the same article.

Written by

and unconventional fossil fuels such as oil sands.

Which basically says.....We're not going to run out of oil in the foreseeable future, but we are going to run out of cheap oil.

Those oil sands deposits are huge.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
so now explain to me how "peak oil" has 'crept in' and the barrel crude oil is down to $62... ??? (of course not to mention that petrol prices remain high for the time being...)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomso now explain to me how "peak oil" has 'crept in' and the barrel crude oil is down to $62... ??? (of course not to mention that petrol prices remain high for the time being...)

Because markets are strange and magical things whose ways of working are wonderous.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
...I guess the centre of the earth must be making oil? perhaps its renewable after all?

the issue is not 'running out of oil' its 'running out of oil that can be mined economically enough to sustain the level of growth and wastage we are current engaged in'

--

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I remember that the price for crude oil jumped to 140something $ and that's one initial thing that ignited the worries for a global recession...

Mike: Markets are a wondrous thing indeed - they rarely have anything to do with reality.. one thing to learn and to never forget.

Josh: if that would be fact, crude oil would not have the same value as a year ago - oh, and as in September '06...

shrug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
oh oh - Another Expert!!

World oil supply has peaked: expert

Posted 32 minutes ago

An energy expert says the world has already reached peak oil supply.

Professor Kjell Aleklatt heads an energy research group at Uppsala University in Sweden.

His team has found oil production will fall 25 per cent below a level widely accepted by policy makers and economists by 2030.

Professor Aleklatt says all governments must act now to reduce the world's energy consumption.

"If we don't have the energy, society will crack, so there is not one solution," he said.

"We should use everything, we should use energy more efficient, we should use other forms of energy, renewable energy is a must of course."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/06/05/2590594.htm?section=justin

--

Page: