Forums > Social Discussion > Broken collar bone - any advice on getting Poi-fit?

Login/Join to Participate

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
help

Broke my left collarbone 6 weeks ago (I'm left-handed) and am back at the hospital on Wednesday this week for X-ray. It's not a particularly great hospital - in fact it has an apalling reputation - so I'm nervous I'll get fobbed off with reduced movement which will affect spinning for good. A pub-friend ended up with his 1.5" shorter (same hospital) and his GP now describes him as 'deformed' eek

I've been going to physio twice a week for the last 3 weeks and I've certainly got a lot more movement than when I started it, but she keeps failing to address my biggest 'hurt' which is deep in my upper arm (I also bruised a few ribs so inevitably my whole frame is now 'out of whack'). As the NHS is notoriously not joined up, I'm not sure if she's doing the right for me or not - even getting advice on exercises etc to do at home is like pulling teeth!

So my questions are this:

1. How much movement restriction should I settle for when they want to sign me off from the hospital?

2. Should the Fracture Clinic Consultant be giving me advice, now and for post-signed-off, on what to do, milestones etc?

3. How much should the physio be doing? And again how much movement should i settle for when they want me to stop going?

I'd like to ask about advice on exercises but realise that opens up allsorts of potential problems in the absence of the full facts shrug wink

On a plus note, I was playing with poi on my right hand and finally 'get' flowers after 2 years of it completely elluding me! There's always a silver lining biggrin ubbangel

Any advice will be muchly appreciated thankx ubbrollsmile

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Some people swear by chriopracters to put stuff back in place after being out of whack.
Get really good at one handed poi while waiting. wink

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Yeah, should help me get more even smile - man, I can even put mascara on with my 'other' hand without poking my eye out now biggrin

Bit worried about a chiropractor when the bone isn't healed properly (broke in 3 places) - and how do I know when to go? Aargh! So many questions! I hate being ignorant about something!

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
If you dont mind I'd like to send you some Reiki hun?
Im sorry I cant be helpfull on the medical front - but I would stay clear of a chiropractor for now. I wouold be surprsied and worried if you could find one that would work on unhealed bones
I hope you make a full recovery and your left catches up with you right ASAP. Actually probably a really good training method to get your 'weak' hand good and then the 'good' one will float through!
Peas out Hun

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'd do what they tell you to do.

Bones heal themselves. HOWEVER, they do not heal if they keep moving around.

Patience, young padiwan. Your clavicle will heal and then you can do whatever you want to do with it (except I don't recommend breaking it again).

All you will do if you push the limits is hurt yourself.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Ah, well, now, I'm not sure if I've been overdoing moving about over the last week or 2 - it doesn't hurt much unless I move my arm across my chest - and I've been carrying things, cooking, cleaning etc and haven't been wearing my sling redface Will that have made it heal in the wrong way or delayed the healing?

Euonymous Europeus

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Orthopedic surgeons joke that if two parts of a broken bone are in the same room, they'll heal.

Clavicles are rather robust; they generally straighten themselves out. But you don't want to risk a re-fracture. Just do what the therapists and doctors say you can do and don't strain yourself.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Ooo i totally know what you are going through, I am recovering from six months of broken foot trouble. I broke my foot then it did not heal after 8 weeks so I had to have surgery.

I also found it incredibly frustrating when my surgeon would not answer my questions. I had told them about my circus training and performance but they seemed not to care they would not even tell me how long I should wait before even trying any thing again. So I was totally left in the dark, I bet he would not have done that if I were a football player or some thing.

So my best advice would be if you can afford it go see a sports doc maybe try and get a referral to one that deals with gymnasts or something also getting one that will actually listen will help. Then write down all you questions and worries and sit down with them to get some answers. Obviously they can't tell you exactly when things will be fine but they can help you to work out your limits and give you exercises to aid recovery and help you to identify what is normal pain and what is pushing it to far pain.

In the mean time maybey you should work on some other not poi skills like hooping or some thing, that does not use your arms.

smile good luck i hope you heal up nice and quick and can get back to what you love smile

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
hughug to you - hope the foot's all good now

Good advice on the sport side - wiil try that tack.

Doc - don't think i'm doing anything to risk re-fracturing it, when I'm doing things (like gardening and erm painting the shed redface ) I'm using my right hand and protecting movement on the left - so hopefully it'' bo ok. Biggest pain inducer is using the laptop for any length of time frown

Hospital this afternoon.....

Euonymous Europeus

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
My chriro comment was directed at rest of body of of whack not the clavicle....must try be more clear. hug hug hug

Now you get an easy way to tell left from right. Worked for me for years.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Good luck with the hospital, i'll keep my fingers crossed for good luck for you. : )

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gnor

My chriro comment was directed at rest of body of of whack not the clavicle....must try be more clear. hug hug hug

Now you get an easy way to tell left from right. Worked for me for years.

ubblol I got it hug

Well, Doc was 'very pleased' with it yesterday, especially the movement I've got - said it was becasue I was 'young, fit and active' -I asked for that in writing umm

So I'll carry on doing what I'm doing, which is basically everything but with due regard for not breaking it again - and he said Poi is Ok too as long as I don't overdo it to start with biggrin

Off to do second coat on the shed and move the compost heap - ooh the glamour! But it's a lovely sunny day so best make the most of being outside before winter sets in - I already feel like a weather vane for cold & damp ubblol

Euonymous Europeus